What's new
What's new

Making you own ball joint.

The balls fit into this draglink.
When the balls are worn the cups start to wear off the shaft part of the ball.
And this can be dangerous.

That's why I want to replace them.
This part is not so strange I think even the new landcruisers have it.

Is

There a mechanic in Opuwa or even a scrap yard you could take your existing parts and do some comparison then get new ones when you get to Windhoek. I'll go past my customer on the way in to my workshop and check if he has parts I can give you numbers on.
That would be great.
If you can let me know for which model of toyota the part is I can easily get it.
Does your cus5omer make OEM Parts?

That would be great.
If you can let me know for which model of toyota the part is I can easily get it.
Does your cus5omer make OEM Parts?
No he refurbs steering systems. He orders a lot of parts out of China.

88 pitman is potentially available from Toyota. My customer checked on Toyodiy.com and the part is listed as you can see in the picture below he quoted a client on a replacement Pitman arm which was $148 at the time. We discussed it and probably the best option is to take your Pitman arm and bore out the taper to take the 80 series drag link ball joint as in the other picture and fit that. You may need a bigger lathe to swing the Pitman arm so you can bore the taper correctly. There is a automotive engineering shop in Tsumeb call Oshikoto engineering and one in Grootfontein called Orweto automotive engineering . Around Ondangwa/Oshikati area there is Makuva automotive. As you probably know the locals in rural Namibia are pretty good at fixing things. If all else fails there is Kunene motor spares in Opuwa that could probably get you the parts in if they are available. OT were did you train as a toolmaker?
IMG_20231207_084755_MP.jpgDrag link ball joint.jpg

Question so would you remove the ball from the mentioned bal joint. Does this ball fit into the original Drag link?

I trained as a toolmaker in Switzerland.

Question so would you remove the ball from the mentioned bal joint. Does this ball fit into the original Drag link?

I trained as a toolmaker in Switzerland.
I would check the 80 series drag link thread to check if it is the same size as your Hilux. If it is I would then remove the ball from the existing Pitman arm and bore the arm to accept the 80 series taper which has a castellated nut to hold it in place assuming that the taper is not smaller on the 80 series in which case you are up the creek without a paddle. However before doing any of this I would first make 100% sure that the OEM part is not available by checking on Toyodiy.com and getting the spares shop to order it in if it is available. There will be a ton of these still being used throughout Africa.

I mean take a 80 series drag link ball joint and check the physical thread that screws into the drag link to see if it is the same as the Hilux.

Can you post a picture of the drag link on the end that connects to the pitman arm

I can get this one locally. Looks like it is neither forged nor hardened.
Not a perfect ball shape neither.
Is this one a safe option?

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_143620_1.jpg
    IMG_20231208_143620_1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20231208_143611_1.jpg
    IMG_20231208_143611_1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
I also found this one. At least hardened but not forged.

Is knurled good for this kind of application?
Normally they cut the thread off and weld the end of the stud on pitman's arm.
Is this safe?

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_175717~2.jpg
    IMG_20231208_175717~2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Hey Meineer,

I am surprised you cant get a part from Toyota South Africa. I had a1984 2.4D short wheel base Hilux which I sold several years ago and got many parts for it from these guys in Zim. Give them a call, its been a number of years since I used them as now. There is a parts place in Dubai that makes all the parts for the older models of the Toyota Hilux and Landcruiser's, esp the 80 series.
Will send you a private message with the phone numbers.

Back