What's new
What's new

Mc500v probe possibilites?

Yes, but it quite more complicated and a lot more expensive if you fuck up. Learn the machine as is, in process probing is beyond your skill level yet
I 100% agree about the in process probing. I'm definitely not dealing in tenths or anything like that and like you said definitely beyond my skill level. It only really struck my curiosity for defining part position and picking up work offsets locations with a probe. Possible use as a cmm/ reverse engineering already existing parts (manually operation in these instances)
Correct me if in wrong but I would think writing a generic program that is capable of bumping a id bore or the outside of a specific sized square and setting a origin is a little bit different than treating the probe as a tool for the machine to determine on it's own, if it needs to run multiple finish passes to bring something perfectly into spec or anything like that.
I have a edge finder but when I check it's repeatability, I reliably get 1-3 thou error on a surface. there's times where I need to be doing better than that, more so in the upcoming future I feel like.
Surely there a happy medium between a 13 dollar edge finder and a 10k optical probe setup
The last cnc mill I operated basically used g code for basic movement only, no place for mdi. None of the m codes worked anything, that stuff operated manually. the machine also homed wherever you turned it on at with no real reference so using the wcs was impossible. Plus the home coordinates would disappear once you picked up part position so couldn't even put it back to the same spot everytime. This matsuura shames it in every aspect and me for getting as far as I have without properly learning gcode cause now I actually need it for general operation of this thing 🙃

Last edited:
1) 1-3 thou repeatability that is most likely wear on the machine ballscrews, and you are experiencing age of the machine. and getting fancy probe wont change it.
2) Haimer type is useful for more than datums. and to make digital probe as useful you d need much cnc programming skill to implement. From tramming vices, checking backlash to setting your parts at funky angles.
3) there is, it is chinese clones of 10k probe setup, that go around 3-4k, or scour used market and piece together some frankestein solution of surplus prats from 20+ years ago.

there is nothing better than haimer in haimer price range, that is why it is so popular. there are other mechanical 3d probes, but they cost about the same.

Correct me if in wrong but I would think writing a generic program that is capable of bumping a id bore or the outside of a specific sized square and setting a origin is a little bit different than treating the probe as a tool for the machine to determine on it's own, if it needs to run multiple finish passes to bring something perfectly into spec or anything like that.
Write here just a macro to find center of a square that is aligned with an axis, when it's top is g54Z0.
We'll correct you till you get it right, then you'll know how easy or not it is.

1) 1-3 thou repeatability that is most likely wear on the machine ballscrews, and you are experiencing age of the machine. and getting fancy probe wont change it.
2) Haimer type is useful for more than datums. and to make digital probe as useful you d need much cnc programming skill to implement. From tramming vices, checking backlash to setting your parts at funky angles.
3) there is, it is chinese clones of 10k probe setup, that go around 3-4k, or scour used market and piece together some frankestein solution of surplus prats from 20+ years ago.

there is nothing better than haimer in haimer price range, that is why it is so popular. there are other mechanical 3d probes, but they cost about the same.
1) interesting.. The old bridge port I would say has been around the block a time or several which is where I got my 1-3 though number. I haven't got to machine on my matsuura yet but it seems to be in really good shape. Maybe the accuracy of my edge finder will go up when I officially get switched over. Worth testing out

2) that's actually a good point I hadn't really considered that even with the probe in my head that im still probably going to need a haimer at any rate

I'm still curious about some Frankenstein probe but the haimer seems like a more one size fits all solution

I gotta put some work in on my shop but i'll think about it while im out there and give the macro a whirl when I get back inside and see what you think

I started writing up something, if I use g10, is the coordinates in reference to the machine home reference or is it in relation to current position?

G10 lets you set a parameter or offset to whatever you put on the line.
If you are looking to update a vise offset with current machine coordinates you should use the macro addresses like this:
#5221=#5021

#5221 is the G54 X OFFSET
#5021 is the CURRENT MACHINE X POS
At least that is what it is for my I80 Yasnac controls.
#5221 could be #2501 depending on your control version, check your books under macro programming.

G10 lets you set a parameter or offset to whatever you put on the line.
If you are looking to update a vise offset with current machine coordinates you should use the macro addresses like this:
#5221=#5021

#5221 is the G54 X OFFSET
#5021 is the CURRENT MACHINE X POS
At least that is what it is for my I80 Yasnac controls.
#5221 could be #2501 depending on your control version, check your books under macro programming.
So my macro shouldn't even have g code per say but rather using the list of inputs and outputs to tell the machine what's going on?
Those are out of the machine manual, I'll have to go pull up my yasnac manual and see if it has stuff about macros.

I found some useful diagrams in the yasnac manual and a whole list of "variables" that I think are what you are talking about. I'll have to look them over better tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_20231018_192249.jpg
    IMG_20231018_192249.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231018_192306.jpg
    IMG_20231018_192306.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231018_192729.jpg
    IMG_20231018_192729.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
All of those pages are for parameters, they really shouldn't have put the # sign in front of them, it is somewhat misleading.
You want the programing manual in the macro section. It is the thick book not the thin parameter manual.

All of those pages are for parameters, they really shouldn't have put the # sign in front of them, it is somewhat misleading.
You want the programing manual in the macro section. It is the thick book not the thin parameter manual.
I gotcha, I found a macro section in my yasnac manual (270 pages) last night with a list a variables that matched some of the numbers and made way more sense that what I had in my head yesterday. I should be able to actually take a stab at a macro today after work sometime.

Last edited:
So my macro shouldn't even have g code per say but rather using the list of inputs and outputs to tell the machine what's going on?
Those are out of the machine manual, I'll have to go pull up my yasnac manual and see if it has stuff about macros.

I found some useful diagrams in the yasnac manual and a whole list of "variables" that I think are what you are talking about. I'll have to look them over better tomorrow
These are diagnostic variables, sadly they are not macro acessible.
Get MX3 programming manual from Yaskawa website. There you should be able to start
also some functions may be not hard blocked on yasnac, they have many functions hidden behind config variables. and thus, unlockacble with detailed read of on operators handbook appendix. I managed to do some on my J300.

We'll correct you till you get it right, then you'll know how easy or not it is.
First of all I'd like to admit that s%#&s a little deeper than I thought out here in macroland..
I went and printed off a hard copy of my yasnac and after rereading over and over again. Here is my attempt at a macro homing x axis on a square. I want to verify i'm at least on the right track before going the rest of the way
"eye balling probe close to center just above work piece before calling macro"

O9601
#1=1000
#2=5021
#3=5001
#4=[#3-#2]/2

G91
G00 X-5 F20
Z-1
G01 X5 F10 IF#1=1 #2=5021
G00 Z1
X10
Z1
G01 X-5 IF#1=1 #3=5001
G00 Z1
X#4
G10 L2 P1 X#4

Would this set origin on the x axis centered above my 3" x 3" part?

Last edited:
When is not a valid macro statement so no idea what you are trying to achieve. Tons of typos too. Upper case only for addresses.
Are the when supposed to be if?
Are you needing the my variables defined or am I just so far off track that it's unreadable?

comments would help
Also you dont have any G31 that would stop the machine when it touches the part, now you are just getting same position that you eyeballed. In best case shitty positioning, in worst case crashed probe.
if statements must be on its own line
no EOB
G00 ignores F values, they go rapid full send.
No end of macro, depending on call scenario(M99, M30)
Lines get executed line by line, so your averaging does not work. It takes variables from the point when executed, does not keep them in mind like defining variables in python.

Time to do one more iteration

comments would help
Also you dont have any G31 that would stop the machine when it touches the part, now you are just getting same position that you eyeballed. In best case shitty positioning, in worst case crashed probe.
if statements must be on its own line
no EOB
G00 ignores F values, they go rapid full send.
No end of macro, depending on call scenario(M99, M30)
Lines get executed line by line, so your averaging does not work. It takes variables from the point when executed, does not keep them in mind like defining variables in python.

Time to do one more iteration
Does g31 (skip function) skip the rest of the current block when it senses the input signal from the probe (1000)?
I was under the impression skip function just skipped the next line but idk.

Does g31 (skip function) skip the rest of the current block when it senses the input signal from the probe (1000)?
I was under the impression skip function just skipped the next line but idk.
Skip is not really skip
It is move until external signal is received(from probe) and skip remaining movement part. not next block nothing like that.
What do you mean (1000)? Variable? then #1000 not 1000, 1000 is just a number 1000 as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 etc.

Also reviewing your code
If you want to make some variable as another correct syntax is #1=#1000, and it is not linked variable. It just transfers value of#1000 to #1 at the moment of line execution. So your if #1=1 means nothing, as it will always be what #1000 was in the beginning of the program
Remember, CNC does only processes what it has in current line, it does not jump back and forward like python or other modern programming language. Say it is a cooking step by step recepie, not wikipedia that can easily hop to beginning of program. this is due to it being based on paper perforation tape program principle.

there is more I can write what is wrong in your understanding, but just process what is already written, and then write new version, then we can move forward

If someone would just write you this code, you will just skip the understanding, and just jump into crashing your machine and blaming other people that did something wrong.

Last edited:
Ok so this had me stumped. I feel like I'm understanding it when I'm looking at it but to sit down and try to write out a foreign language to me... I find that I don't really know where to start with it. In the mean time I've been playing with the machine and collecting tooling. I got some material to do a subplate so I can take better advantage of the wcs system.
My previous employer also went out of business so I think its time to hang up the ol welding hood after 10 years of specialty welding/fab and chase a new challenge.
I've scored a job with a local cnc job shop that does everything from palm sized parts all the way up to 75 ton assemblies. Going to start as a machinist to get the experience and they understand my interest in programming and already laid out a path for me to chase that too. So soon ill be able to be surrounded by the stuff I want to learn and have a better understanding and see how others attack problems in the machining world.
Macros got brought up today in the interview and I joked about some guy on the internet challenging me to write a probing macro program and it being a significantly harder than I thought so thats why I'm here 😅 ready to learn me a lil something about macros. So for now I need to go learn some stuff but I will be updating this in the future

Back