What's new
What's new

Need a little advice on a Mill

dannyrocci

Cast Iron
Well I am going to take a look at this machine tomorrow afternoon and thought I would see if you guys have any advice or input on it. I have been looking for a smaller mill and thought this might fight the bill. Right now I have a little Chinese mill/drill and it work fine as long as you go slow and take light cuts but doesn't really look right next to my restore south bend.

I don't know much about these mills so would love to hear what you guys think and what things I should be looking for when I see it. The seller is asking 750.00 but there is room to bring that down.

Thanks for the help guys,

Danny

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 424
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 361
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 419
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 372
A Frankenmill, A small mill with a BP head (missing minor parts) attached.

That Van Norman in background, is 3 x the machine...

It is a 1 hp, step pulley Bridgeport J head, see link to right : Page Title

Can't see enough of mill from profile to identify..

Looks like only 2 bolts are holding head ON ... Standard BP uses 4, and is considered a flexible flyer with 4...............

Pretty rusty/rough looking. A set of new J head spindle bearings alone is around 300+.

Not a 750.00 machine unless it purrs like a kitten.. Or you live in a machine tool wasteland like Alaska, where it might sell for 1500.00 or so..

Not very impressive. Maybe spend 250-300 bucks on a good Bridgeport M head and marry it to your mill/drill. If it´s a dovetailed one that is. If not, sit tight for a Clausing or Millrite, you already got limited milling capability now and can afford to wait for a better deal.
I would consider the j-head the buy. The rest is only dead weight.

Cheers,
Johann

Well just got back from looking at the mill and man is that a project. Besides it being two different machine mated together it is also missing a few things. The table is missing the x-axis assemble so that would have to be replace and or made and the head bridgeport head is mounted to a bracket on the dovetail so it no longer as any lateral travel from front to back and is mount so far back as to only have about 2 inches maybe 3 inches of milling room.

I told him he had a big paper weight and the most I could give him was a couple hundred. He said he would think about it and call me. I don't mind the project and to be honest sort of want one but this looks to be more trouble then it is worth.

Thanks again guys for the advice,

Danny

Back