What's new
What's new

Need help with Okuma MC4 VAE, Parameters are lost. I need to re-install them.

DeltaV

Plastic
Today I attempted to complete the last step in making the new spindle nut. Its almost complete. We have two Okuma MC 4 VAE milling centers. We purchased them from Designs For Tomorrow in St. Louis. One of them has a fourth axis attachment. Today we attempted to load G-code into them using the floppy drive. We inserted the floppy disc into the disc drive, turned on the machine, and it said "Control Floppy Loading Wait" We waited ten minutes, nothing happened. We turned off the machine, removed the floppy disc from the drive, waited thirty seconds, and turned it on again. Same thing. This was a perfectly functioning machine. We need to get installation floppy drives to re-install the parameters.
I'm wondering if anyone has an image copy of the installation discs that I can write on to some new floppy discs or if anybody has any suggestions? These machines are desperately needed for production. Thanks!

1696037475292.png

The machine lost its parameters Friday afternoon. I called Hartwig in St. Louis and emailed Okuma. I won't get a solid answer from either until Monday at the soonest. My whole weekend is basically nothing but stress because I don't know the fate of this machine.

They are Identical machines right? Can you not retrieve the parameters from the running machine?

And replace the back-up batteries If you haven't done that yet.
I suspect its not possible. I consulted with a software expert and he said it wasn't practical and only possible in theory but would require one posses advanced cryptographic knowledge.

I suspect its not possible. I consulted with a software expert and he said it wasn't practical and only possible in theory but would require one posses advanced cryptographic knowledge.
What? It's just parameters not the Nuclear Launch Codes. If you had a physical list you should be able to enter them In manually one by one. A task yes. Impossible. I don't think so. cryptographic?:nutter:

There surely Is a way to make a backup of the parameters on the running machine. And also a way to load that backup onto the machine that lost parameters.

I could be wrong. But I don't think your software expert knows what he's talking about when It comes to CNC machines.

Where on the other machine would I be able to find the parameters?
If you have manuals look there. If not look online for manuals.

You should be able to get to the parameters on the running machine by going through the menus on the control. The Okuma I have is allot newer than these so unfortunately I can't direct you much there other than look through the on screen menus. Look for a key or soft key that says param. Parameters on these machines are not some hidden secret. They should be readily accessible by the user for the most part.

I looked through the manuals and books that came with the machine and I was unable to find any information on backing up, copying, or exporting parameters in them. I only have the OSP 5020M alarm and error list and operation and maintenance manuals. I searched the net and was able to find a PDF manual on the subject, but within it it only says its applicable to machines that were made in 94 or newer. These machines are 1992 if I recall correctly.

Attachments

• Okuma_Manuals_3695.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 7
Quick search found this.
Parameters may be unlocked as below.
Find the parameter page called "NC Optional Parameter
(Bit)".
Change the first bit (that is bit 7) on line 16 to "1".
Press Item down (F7) twice. That should get you to the
system parameter page.

I saw these floppy disks for sale, however the one is close and may work. But its for an Okuma MC4 VA, whereas these are both MC 4 VAE. I think the difference is the VA has 20 tool holder pots, and these have 32.

I would talk to Okuma before purchasing. But It might get you closer and work with some tweaking. What Is Okuma telling you? I suspect they will want to send a Tech If they can help you.

I would talk to Okuma before purchasing. But It might get you closer and work with some tweaking. What Is Okuma telling you? I suspect they will want to send a Tech If they can help you.
I just got off the phone with a rep from corporate, they are forwarding it to Hartwig in St. Louis, but the rep re-assured me that they can fix this. I sure hope they are right!

I just got off the phone with a rep from corporate, they are forwarding it to Hartwig in St. Louis, but the rep re-assured me that they can fix this. I sure hope they are right!
I Imagine they can. These machines are not that old. But they likely won't help you over the phone. So get ready for a visit from a Tech.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let us know how It goes.

I Imagine they can. These machines are not that old. But they likely won't help you over the phone. So get ready for a visit from a Tech.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let us know how It goes.
I'm more than happy to pay for a service technician visit, we can make the most of their time by having them do four things during the same visit.

Reactions: VTM

Back