What's new
What's new

New To Me Southbend Heavy 10 Rebuild (Picture Heavy)

First paying job was a Remington "Remage" conversion using a 16" barrel. The heavy ten had no problem getting it dialed in through the headstock. Chambering went ok, the travel on the tailstock leaves little to be desired!! Chamber runout was under 2 tenths, im happy with that. Just today I finished up a muzzle break using the collet closer. It handled turning the OD down without any vibrations with the interrupted cuts. As previously stated the lathe will be set up for collet use 99% of the time. I'm glad I waited and got exactly what I wanted. I'm really happy with the lack of overall wear and its a sharp looking lathe to boot!! Unfortunately in time it'll start to get the usual dings and scratches but I'll know on the inside its good for as long as i'm around.

Attachments

• 20200118_141038.jpg
    20200118_141038.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200118_141048.jpg
    20200118_141048.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200421_160126.jpg
    20200421_160126.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200421_164722.jpg
    20200421_164722.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200411_132453.jpg
    20200411_132453.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 114
Modified a couple 90 degree Gits oil cups for the apron also since I couldn't find any of the simple bent tube styles that were on it from the factory.

I believe these where made at the SB factory - a standard GIT oiler was just soldered to a soft brass tube. What did you use to get the oil where it was needed? Did you solder something on the oiler?

I believe these where made at the SB factory - a standard GIT oiler was just soldered to a soft brass tube. What did you use to get the oil where it was needed? Did you solder something on the oiler?

I had the same problem with my heavy 9 that I re-did. Had to solder brass tubing onto a right angle oiler for that spot.
The oil cup on the handwheel shaft is a nice touch. Supposed to get oil from a wick but that never quite seems to be
enough, that spot always wears a lot resulting in the dreaded 'floppy handwheel' effect.

Nice workup on the machine. Leather belt works fine, if you want to upgrade the automtive belt does transmit more
power with less tension.

Also you need to put some kid protector plugs in the 120 volt receptacles right behind the headstock. Or you may
get a rather sparky suprise someday!

The 90 degree oilers required an extension that was machined to the right length and just right enough to provide a press fit into the cup.

The total time for the overhaul was about 2 months. That was working on it just about every night for a few hours, maybe a little more on the weekends. My shop was useless for entire process so I i had plenty of motivation to get it done. Luckily the gun business was slow during that time.

Considering what you started with, I'd say that's a pretty good clip!
Took me every bit of 3 months for a little 9" A-model. Seems most of that
was for the friggin' enamel to dry overnight. I think it also helps
that you have a well-equipped shop, the room, and of course, a good
sense of mechanics!
Well done sir!

PMc

View attachment 285992 View attachment 285991

I just completed a similar rebuild, although my lathe looks older and more worn than yours. Yours looks beautiful. What caught my attention was the amount of rebuild you did (bearings, etc) on the gearbox. I took the entire gearbox apart and cleaned but didn't really replace any parts there. My spindle runs whisper quiet but when I engage the forward or reverse lever for feeding it is quite noisy and gets louder the higher the spindle RPM. I'm assuming the noise is either in gearbox or in gear train up by spindle. Would you guess it would be worn gears and/or bearings?

My spindle runs whisper quiet but when I engage the forward or reverse lever for feeding it is quite noisy and gets louder the higher the spindle RPM. I'm assuming the noise is either in gearbox or in gear train up by spindle. Would you guess it would be worn gears and/or bearings?

I am having the same problem, and I suspect gear train. It's kind of an "oscillating" sound, not a constant growl.
I do have one gear that is slightly wobbly, so I'll start with trying
to isolate or replace that gear. I don't think its my QCGB. Gear teeth spacing is by the
"piece of paper" method.

You can hear the noise at beginning of this video.
(Yes I know, wrong speed and wrong feed rate!)

YouTube

PMC

I remember my other Soutbend 13 being rather noisy with the lead screw engaged. I think it's just a trait of southbends. Comparing it to my 16" import gearhead lathe, it's about the same. They're both a lot quiter than my ironworker!! I won't complain about a little noise.

Back