What's new
What's new

O.T. Firearm Backgroun Check Delay

Most likely there is a trouble maker with the same first and last name
same thing thing that gets people on the watch list at the airport.
giving ssn helps but still not fool proof.

living in the land of gun owner harassment laws got plenty of experience
with dros we get to wait 10 days

Now as far as concealed carry
well if I fell it’s needed my choice is a S&W airlite 38sp
because any use would be at very close range, and a good chance
there would be powder burns involved.
keep in mind you aren’t the police, and you aren’t fighting a war
and you want to stay out of jail

Most likely there is a trouble maker with the same first and last name
same thing thing that gets people on the watch list at the airport.
giving ssn helps but still not fool proof.

living in the land of gun owner harassment laws got plenty of experience
with dros we get to wait 10 days

Now as far as concealed carry
well if I fell it’s needed my choice is a S&W airlite 38sp
because any use would be at very close range, and a good chance
there would be powder burns involved.
keep in mind you aren’t the police, and you aren’t fighting a war
and you want to stay out of jail
I could have chosen a smaller, lighter gun to conceal carry. I really didn't need a 9mm.

I apreciate your comment about not playiing cop. I'll leave that too law enforcement.
I dont feel any bravado owning a gun. I do realize the kind of trouble you can get into.

I did pick up my pistol Saturday morning and it is impressive to shoot. I shot about 20 rounds at about 35 feet and kept a pretty close pattern but im low and to the right about 10". I'll work that out.
I may be pulling down while firing although the trigger pull is pretty light. It says it's about 6#'s online.
I am going to find a better magazine loader than the one than came with the gun.
Loading by hand was hard until I used the miiddle section of my index finger. The magazines have a strong spring pressure.

Thanks for all the advice and comments.
i'm happy with the firing power of my new pistol.
I almost bought a used gun but didn't. want something that some utube follower had messed around with.
In a revolver I would trust used more because I would know more about what I'm looking at.

I have to say that there are some pretty sharp guys giving reviews on these pistols on utube.
Not like some bad machining videos with new buyers becoming instant experts saying this is a lathe. This shaft turns and this part cuts the metal. Pitiful.

It's a little heavy but it feels good in my hand. I chose the hand grip that fills the contour where the web of thumb grips.
It came three hand grips, two look identical.
Thanks Mike
20240122_123341 (2).jpg
20240122_135817 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Glad you were able to finally get it. Delays likely vary not only from shop to shop but from one state to another. Here in Texas, you can generally get cleared in 15 minutes or less, unless the system is down - and an existing CC license speeds up the process.

NICS delays are almost always due to someone with the same or similar name being flagged in the system. The Fed's will follow up to ensure that you're not the bad guy, but they don't always follow through with an approval - instead relying upon the automatic approval after so many days.

There are literally thousands of people with my same name in the USA, and at least one of them has a felony record. Before I obtained my CWP, every one of my purchases would be delayed until the time ran out. This occurred in multiple states are multiple shops, so the issue was on the NICS end and not the local's.

That pistol looks like a nice score.

New gun day is always exciting!
Firearms are an excellent force multiplier when life is at stake; however, without training, utilizing a firearm in a fight for your life is really left up to chance.

Invest in good training and continue to practice what you learn as often as possible. Like you said; your weapon will never be seen unless it will be used.

Pulling out a gun in an attempt to deter someone is a horrible idea, it is also illegal in many cases. This means that spit second reaction times will be required to implement your pistol. Professional training will teach how to do that safely and how to practice it to increase your speed.

Courses beyond a basic level will also teach possible methods to defuse a situation before using a firearm. I would strongly recommend seeking that out; if you ever did have to defend your life with a firearm, a record of this training before a jury will show that you are diligent, deliberate and that you were willing to make every effort to avoid taking life.

I dont have any Felonys, No DWI's, No assaults, No Mental issues, No misdemeanor's, not even a traffic ticket.
What the hell is this, I know computors work faster than that, Iam not in a rush but currious about the delay.

Is this Common?
Yes, it's pretty common. The system is fairly antiquated and pulls data from a bunch of places for starters.

The check involves a number of things....name, variations of your name, date-of-birth, SSN, address, prior address, etc. If there's someone who has part of your name, and the same DOB, or the same DOB and a similar prior address, or something along those lines, it gets flagged. It then has to go to a person who runs down all the combinations to make 100% certain they're not allowing a prohibited person from taking possession of the weapon.

I don't have an FFL, but have a number of friends who are, and it's just the nature of the beast. Generally speaking, if it's a mistake they will get it fixed and next time it won't take so long, but there are people with names, DOBs, etc that just happen to line up closely with a criminal and they go through the delay time and again.

order a Glock 18 Gen 5 a few weeks back on a Wednesday, pistol came in on a Friday and background check took maybe 15 minutes in SC when I went in to pick it up
No, you didn't. A Glock 18 is fully-automatic and you can't order one unless you're in law enforcement and happen to have an extremely permissive department (read none). Only fully-automatic firearms made prior to 1986 are legal to transfer (other than LE and similar functions).

I am going to find a better magazine loader than the one than came with the gun.
Loading by hand was hard until I used the miiddle section of my index finger. The magazines have a strong spring pressure.
When I got a new SCCY CPX-1 I was wondering if I needed to modify my hydraulic press to get rounds into the mag. Turns out this is common with those mags and I'm sure others. I took an 8" piece of wood and trimmed it to fit inside the mag. Then stood the mag on my workbench and used the piece of wood to run the follower all the way to the bottom and back up. Repeat about 20 times and the mags are MUCH easier to load.

When I got a new SCCY CPX-1 I was wondering if I needed to modify my hydraulic press to get rounds into the mag. Turns out this is common with those mags and I'm sure others. I took an 8" piece of wood and trimmed it to fit inside the mag. Then stood the mag on my workbench and used the piece of wood to run the follower all the way to the bottom and back up. Repeat about 20 times and the mags are MUCH easier to load.
Ill try that, it feels like the springs hangs up.
I feel it sticking and hear it clicking. I haven't tried oiling not knowing about oil getting in the shell seat in the chamber and then in the barrel. I do oil the barrel then wipe it out.

I get about six loaded in the magazine and stop because of the pain. The mags hold 17 rounds.
I'll try your wooden push stick to break it in and I'm looking for the Magula Uplula magazine loader that TeachMePlease suggested.
It feels like the spring is not in a confined space allowing it to twist like a corkscrew.
My thumbs bend almost to the back to my hand. A lifetime of wear and tear on the joints.
I understand the spring needs to be strong but Damm. It does have to compress to 17 rounds and still have the compression to get the last round in position.
I feel like filling it with oil and standing them on end for a day to drain.
Two cartridges and both are F. U.
I love the gun.

It would be nice to be able to compress the spring and insert a pin to hold it and then load the rounds and then pull the pin. I suppose rounds could get out of position.

Last edited:
They aren't cheap but they work. Buy from a reputable vendor so you don't get a fake. I have one in each range bag and I recommend getting a bright colored one so it's easier to find in the bag.

They aren't cheap but they work. Buy from a reputable vendor so you don't get a fake. I have one in each range bag and I recommend getting a bright colored one so it's easier to find in the bag.

Order placed for the Maglula UpLula magazine loader.
I'm anxious for it to get here. Thanks for the link.
Mike

Last edited:
Order placed for the Maglula UpLula magazine loader.
I'm anxious for it to get here. Thanks for the link.
Mike
They are worth every penny! I've been a competitive shooter for 40 years now. When I was living in NM the humidity was so low my thumbs were drying out and splitting from filling magazines. I remember shooting a match and there was blood all over my ammo and magazines...just awful. I got an UpLula the next week....that and lotion fixed the problem. I even have an UpLula for my .22s as those can be a challenge with the small mags and small ammo...not as much to grab.

They are worth every penny! I've been a competitive shooter for 40 years now. When I was living in NM the humidity was so low my thumbs were drying out and splitting from filling magazines. I remember shooting a match and there was blood all over my ammo and magazines...just awful. I got an UpLula the next week....that and lotion fixed the problem. I even have an UpLula for my .22s as those can be a challenge with the small mags and small ammo...not as much to grab.
I can picture your bleeding hands. My hands are still pretty nimble working on things, but my joints will give way while pushing hard on something. High milage
I appreciate the guidance to the Uplula. $35.00 and $10 shipping is well worth spending to cure the problem.
Fumbling bullets around and getting them jammed out of position in the cartridge makes me nervous.

My cartridges are double row but the first 5 or six rounds going in are single row. I think the hang up is where the double row starts.
The plate on top of the spring is tilted to help feed the second row but seems to get hung up at that spot.
Whatever, I'm just glad there is a tool to help out.

At first, I thought I must be stupid, surly they wouldn't make this that hard to load.
Then searching the internet told me I wasn't alone.
Steve F commented about using his arbor press. not seriously I'm sure but it ran across my mind for a second. The design could work as long as pressure wasn't on the rounds. Boom!
I hope the guy that designed the Uplula loader got a patent and was well rewarded for his work.
I'm sure cheap copies were on ebay within weeks.

Last edited:
I've never needed a mag loader until I got a P365. One and a half stack, holds 12 or 15 rounds, and the last 2 are a PAIN. I also shoot steel challenge competitions, the maglula makes those days a breeze. If you shoot a match perfectly, it's 150rds. For me it's closer to 250 :D.

It's getting a little easier to load the Mags. As Steve F suggested I cut a piece of wood the right width and worked the spring up and down a couple dozen times. The spring isn't creaking and popping as bad.
I just went through my first 50 box of Fiocchi metal jacket practice rounds.
I read where they suggest about 500 rounds to break in the barrel.
I ordered two more mag's so I can have two loaded with Federal "Punch" hollow points to carry and two mags for practice rounds.
I'm anxious to get my MagLula loader.

I'm getting my pattern tuned in better but need to speed up my aim between shots.
I'm sure you can tell by my terminology I'm new to pistols.
I'm liking the target practice.

With no safety on the Beretta, I'm carrying with an empty chamber and an almost full clip.
So, I will have to rack it to shoot. That seems safe.
In Missouri conceal carry classes aren't required to conceal in most places, I'll take the class anyway.

I want to stay safe and out of any trouble.
Thanks Mike

A little help with terminology and stuff:
I just went through my first 50 box of Fiocchi metal jacket practice rounds.
Full Metal Jacket, or FMJ

I read where they suggest about 500 rounds to break in the barrel.
Breaking things in is bullshit. Just shoot it.

Clip vs Magazine.jpg

With no safety on the Beretta, I'm carrying with an empty chamber and an almost full clip. So, I will have to rack it to shoot. That seems safe.
It is most definitely NOT a safer alternative. Mishaps happen when handling guns. The more you handle it, the more opportunity you have to screw up, especially when in an extreme situation.

Also, time how long it takes you to draw from concealment, rack the slide and get an aimed shot off. Do this at home with no ammo around (dry fire practice is important!!!). Now, how long do you think a cracked up young man will take to get to you from 10 yards? What if, since you're all jacked up on adrenaline, you accidentally don't get the slide all the way back before letting go of it? Now you've got a failure-to-feed malfuntion and you're really screwed.

Tons of people carry Glocks (etc.) with no safety in condition 1. YOU are the safety. A manual safety is another layer of prevention, but YOU are the main safety. Trigger finger discipline is exceedingly important, to the point that I carry cordless drills, heat guns, anything with a trigger with my trigger finger straight. It's so ingrained, that if I fumble something or trip on something, I've always noticed that my trigger finger stays where it's supposed to. That's where you need to get to.

In Missouri conceal carry classes aren't required to conceal in most places, I'll take the class anyway.
Excellent plan. Given your inexperience, I suggest a couple beginning classes for gun handling too. The main thing that I tell new people is that you have to dominate the gun. It's a piece of metal that can kill you, your next door neighbor, etc. The gun does nothing until you give it permission to. Most of your gun handling skills can be practiced during dry fire. Holster work, drawing, loading and unloading trigger control, etc. can all be practiced without firing a single round.

I wish you were close to me. I'd happily take you to the range and give you some tips. Any excuse to go to the range is a good one. :D

Back