What's new
What's new

offset setting for fanuc oi-mf

will1200

Plastic
Hi,

sorry, for the very basic question but how do you set offsets on a Fanuc io-MF. I cant seem to find a manual online for this controller and all the guides/videos are very confusing or have more functions then my controller because they are using learning software.

when I try to set offsets a Write Protect error appears even though I set parameter write to 1=ON

parameter write is not for offsets, leave that a 0.

Do you have a memory protect key (actual physical locking key on the control)?

Reactions: ???
Parameter write in MDI on Fanuc is for changing machine parameters not tool offsets. Not familiar with your model of Fanuc but on mine you just go into tool offset and cursor over number and enter the length

I've changed parameter write back to 0 and there dose not seem to any key related to "memory protect key".

yes, that's what I'm currently doing. go to offsets and cursor over to the tool number and enter length, but I get "write protect". this happens for both tool and work offsets.

dose anyone know where I can find a manual for this controller? I don't have one and I cant ask the machine builder because its a custom built machine and the builder passed away.

Machine builder determines if offset data is protected or not. Since yours are protected it will be easiest to refer to the builder operation manual for how to unlock the offset memory. Could be a keyswitch or a softkey, both typical methods.

There is a small, mechanical key lock on the controller panel. It enables program edits and offset changes. Make sure it is in the "unlocked" position.
Also, offset changes over a certain amount may not be allowed, as there is a parameter setting to limit the amount an offset can change.
Are you "Measuring" an offset or writing one in?

To elaborate further, there might not be a physical key or switch on the control panel, it might be a soft switch on the "operators panel" which might be found by hitting the OFFSET button, then hitting the > button under the screen, until you see "OPR" or "OPER" or something like that. If you do find that, hit page down a couple times and there might be a menu option with a "switch" on the screen that you can toggle.

If you did have a physical switch, I would expect it to look something like this at the top:
1706736092835.png

if the best way to resolve the issue is contact with the machine builder I'm dead in the water. the machine was custom built by the previous machinist at my company. since he built the machine he didn't leave any manuals behind. he suddenly passed and then I was hired as a replacement.

there is no physical lock or button for the Write Protect, I'm guessing its a softkey. There is an "OPR" softkey when i press the offset hard key. when i navigate to it and press the soft key i get this screen and changing ON and OFF dose nothing.

1706738128945.png

A reasonably experienced CNC tech will be able to figure this out pretty quickly on site. Over a forum may be a bit harder.
Signals KEY1 through KEY4 (Diagnostic addresses G43.3-G43.6) are the PMC to CNC signals the machine builder can use to set up protection for various data types. Most often all 4 signals are operated by a single input (switch or softkey). There is also some parameter control of those functions at parameters 3290-3295.

If you can find the G addresses listed above in the ladder and post pics we may be able to figure out how the memory protection was implemented by your builder. Also post the contents of the parameters listed above so we can see if an alternate setting may allow offset input.

Thanks all, decided to request a machine tech to come in. I was spending my way to much time to try and fix and jobs were piling up.

Back