What's new
What's new

OT: Aerodark's final request

Hello everyone.

My Dad, Mark @aerodark, has been a part of this online community since 2008. He started his career as a machinist/toolmaker in Phoenix, Arizona back in the early 90’s. After 3 kids, a failed marriage and losing his parents, my Dad moved us up to Washington State in 1998. Once my brothers and I left the coop, my Dad spent the next 12 years moving around the western United States before finally landing in Eugene, Oregon. On July 16th of this year, my Dad suddenly passed away after a lifelong battle with his mental health. My family and I are absolutely devastated.

I am reaching out to this community for some guidance. We inherited only personal items from our Dad. The tools he has collected over the last 30+ years hold much more meaning than any amount of money ever could. He held them on early mornings with tired hands, determined to make a living while having 3 mouths to feed besides his own. He worked many long days after hour long commutes to provide as a single father. When I see, hold and smell his tools, my heart breaks. I also smile thinking of all the metal chips he always had in his clothes and shoes and funny stories he’d tell us about work. The smell of the oils, the stickers on his toolbox..they bring both happiness and an emptiness that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Here’s where you all come in. My hope is to find new homes for some of his tools so that his memory and passion for toolmaking can live on. All of the proceeds will go toward preparing a memorial service we have planned for our Dad this Fall in Arizona.

I don’t know much when it comes to the trade or tools involved, although my sweet Pops sure tried to teach me! If anyone has any tips or advice on how I can/should get started…it would be so incredibly appreciated!

For any of the many friends my Dad made through this site, please accept my gratitude. I am certain that you all somehow positively impacted my Dad and made his hard days better. As his daughter, I am grateful to you all!!

I am attaching some pictures of my Dad, Mark, to share his smile with the world! He is so missed and forever will be. Thank you ❤️ -Melissa Froehlich

Attachments

• 2067C22C-C758-48D2-9910-44E07A1BD636.jpeg
    2067C22C-C758-48D2-9910-44E07A1BD636.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 110
  • E310AAFA-770E-472C-8D3B-15091D83DAB7.jpeg
    E310AAFA-770E-472C-8D3B-15091D83DAB7.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 964444ED-D8B1-409A-91C3-CAE066045AB9.jpeg
    964444ED-D8B1-409A-91C3-CAE066045AB9.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 102
  • EF071923-AB99-4A2A-9801-75DC9552862A.jpeg
    EF071923-AB99-4A2A-9801-75DC9552862A.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Sorry I cannot be of direct help to you, but do know that your note above comes across to me as sincere and as a fine tribute. Your dad was a much respected member of the PM community.

Please consider adding your location to the personal information with which you signed up here. It can be useful info for someone who might be close enough to come over for an in-person look at what you have.

-Marty-

Thank you, Marty! Your words mean a lot. My Dad was my best friend!

I am located in Bow, Washington. I’m not sure how to add a location to the post aside from here in the thread.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope that his tools will make it into the hands of those that will use and cherish them as much as he did. I'd suggest keeping a few smaller items that hold memories for you and pass them down to children/ grandchildren/ nieces and nephews. It'll be a special thing for them too.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope that his tools will make it into the hands of those that will use and cherish them as much as he did. I'd suggest keeping a few smaller items that hold memories for you and pass them down to children/ grandchildren/ nieces and nephews. It'll be a special thing for them too.
Absolutely! I have 3 sons and will hold onto many things for them ❤️ Thank you for the kind words.

Attachments

• 539E3FA4-E3E1-464F-93C5-446CD00B7A3D.jpeg
    539E3FA4-E3E1-464F-93C5-446CD00B7A3D.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DC7A26A5-E2C7-4765-8C62-C8E5AE02A24C.jpeg
    DC7A26A5-E2C7-4765-8C62-C8E5AE02A24C.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 68
  • FAAD869F-D0D2-487F-BCDD-CE48263E5B24.jpeg
    FAAD869F-D0D2-487F-BCDD-CE48263E5B24.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 67
  • A72DCEDE-4580-4523-BB4C-3B9B2D915CB8.jpeg
    A72DCEDE-4580-4523-BB4C-3B9B2D915CB8.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 99ED112C-21B9-4280-B4FE-248EEFF8C6F7.jpeg
    99ED112C-21B9-4280-B4FE-248EEFF8C6F7.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 68
Sorry for your loss. I hope when milacron reads the thread title he takes the time to read the messages... also takes the time to edit the thread title to his satisfaction.

Dennis
Hi Dennis,
I truly appreciate your condolences! I hope I’m ok posting this type of thread? As I said in my original post, I am just hoping for some guidance from a group of pros. I’m not sure who milacron is..are they the site owner? Again, I apologize if this wasn’t ok to post! Thank you for any insight.

Sincerely,
Melissa

So sorry to hear of your loss , Melissa

I recall I helped Mark with a icon file some years ago, and his name, 'aerodark ', stuck in my memory in a way few names do these days. I hope you'll find some comfort in the knowledge that your dad is remembered, liked and respected by so many people around the world.

With deepest sympathy,

Bill Todd

Melissa,

I can only imagine the intense feeling of loss you and your family must be feeling.

I met Mark when he was living not far from here in Sudden Valley. He was between jobs and worked a fewhours over a few weeks in my home shop making some tools he designed for his personal use. My lathe and mill were new to me and he mentored me some in their use. After that I sort of lost track of him but would see occasional posts by him on this site.

He was a collector and trader of fine measuring tools favoring Swiss-made mechanical calipers, micrometers and bore gages among other things. So, I suspect he had a number of these tools in his collection. I also heard he had purchased a vintage Monarch EE lathe, a brand of lathes highly regarded and sought after.

I live about 15 miles from Bow in Bellingham. I have no need for another EE lathe or mill or hand tools for that matter. But, I can understand the situation you and your family are in and would be happy to stop by and try with my limited knowledge to sort things into valuable, salable, and recycle groups. I can also suggest means of marketing what items you might want to sell but I do not want to serve as a broker nor do I want to purchase individual or lots of tools.

If you think that me taking a quick look could be helpful, message me using the personal message option on this site. That is done by clicking the little envelope symbol in the upper right corner of this page and following the prompts.

Denis

I'm very sorry to hear that, my condolences for your loss. I had a few conversations with Mark over the years about common interests, he was a pretty good guy. I think I saw him post not too very long ago, it's a bit of a shock to hear that he's gone so suddenly. I would say Denis is a good choice if you need a hand sorting through what's what in the shop. He has also always seemed to be an upstanding fellow in my opinion.

Melissa, I’m very sorry for your loss. I only met Mark once, when he lived near Denis in the Pacific NW. Had bought some tooling and measuring equipment from him. Enjoyed a long chat and tour of his shop just outside his kitchen after picking up my purchases. Seemed like a smart, interesting guy. Wish I’d been able to spend more time in his company.

Very sorry for your loss. I am pretty sure you will find a member close by willing to help. As others have said retain a few keepsakes for those close to him to hold on to. I have many items of little value from the past that are priceless to me, like a big flat head screw driver my that my grandfather stirred paint with. I thought an employee lost it once and I wanted to kill him, thankful it was found. It was kept in my toolbox do not touch drawer.

Condolences and sympathy to you and your family for the loss of your Dad. That was a sincere and proud tribute to him, and his work, in your posts.

Notwithstanding the admirable goal of wanting to pass along your Dad's tools to someone who appreciates them, beware opportunistic folks who want to take advantage of situations, and offer accordingly. Since this was your Dad's vocation, his tools/machines are probably in good condition (in fact that looks like a pretty nice Monarch 10EE lathe that your (cute) kids are twisting dials on (there's a whole forum on here on "Monarch Lathes"). You can get ideas of prices on Ebay, by looking at "sold" auctions, but I'm sure folks here will be glad to provide some advice on prices and demand if you post some pictures and available information (some may even want to purchase items, and there is a "classified" section for "machinery" (entire machines), and "tooling" (accessories, measurement equipment, etc.).
Regards, Charles
Hi Charles,

I am very thankful for your thoughts and advice. You have given me great suggestions as far as how to move forward with this endeavor. I am grateful to the outpouring of support from this community and feel some comfort moving forward.

Thank you!
-Melissa

So sorry to hear of your loss , Melissa

I recall I helped Mark with a icon file some years ago, and his name, 'aerodark ', stuck in my memory in a way few names do these days. I hope you'll find some comfort in the knowledge that your dad is remembered, liked and respected by so many people around the world.

With deepest sympathy,

Bill Todd
Hi Bill,

Wow, those words really warm my heart! My Dad was the best and is missed beyond words. I hope he knew just how loved he was. I’m sure I’ll find peace as time goes on, but for now this all really sucks. He was known as many things…Dad, Pops, Mark in the Dark, Frog (lol) and Aerodark. He was a rock in roll guy with a smile and humor that would bring such joy to anyone around him!

I am seeing just how impactful his life was to those beyond friends and family. I’m truly thankful for what I’ve read on here over the last day and a half. It brings some comfort to my soul.

Sincerely,
Melissa

Melissa,

I can only imagine the intense feeling of loss you and your family must be feeling.

I met Mark when he was living not far from here in Sudden Valley. He was between jobs and worked a fewhours over a few weeks in my home shop making some tools he designed for his personal use. My lathe and mill were new to me and he mentored me some in their use. After that I sort of lost track of him but would see occasional posts by him on this site.

He was a collector and trader of fine measuring tools favoring Swiss-made mechanical calipers, micrometers and bore gages among other things. So, I suspect he had a number of these tools in his collection. I also heard he had purchased a vintage Monarch EE lathe, a brand of lathes highly regarded and sought after.

I live about 15 miles from Bow in Bellingham. I have no need for another EE lathe or mill or hand tools for that matter. But, I can understand the situation you and your family are in and would be happy to stop by and try with my limited knowledge to sort things into valuable, salable, and recycle groups. I can also suggest means of marketing what items you might want to sell but I do not want to serve as a broker nor do I want to purchase individual or lots of tools.

If you think that me taking a quick look could be helpful, message me using the personal message option on this site. That is done by clicking the little envelope symbol in the upper right corner of this page and following the prompts.

Denis
Hi Denis,

My Dad told me about you and the work he did in your home shop. He was stoked about it! You definitely gave him the nudge to start his own side gig for a bit which he was so proud of.

Thank you for your kindness and generosity. Dad sold the big machines he had before moving to Utah in 2017. We have the majority of tools he used for work along with some collectibles I believe.

I will be getting in touch with you soon!

Sincerest thanks,
Melissa

I'm very sorry to hear that, my condolences for your loss. I had a few conversations with Mark over the years about common interests, he was a pretty good guy. I think I saw him post not too very long ago, it's a bit of a shock to hear that he's gone so suddenly. I would say Denis is a good choice if you need a hand sorting through what's what in the shop. He has also always seemed to be an upstanding fellow in my opinion.
Thank you so much! Dad was incredibly smart and had the best sense of humor. He will always be my best friend. I think you’re right about Denis being an extreme help with the process I’m faced with.

Sincerely,
Melissa

Melissa, I’m very sorry for your loss. I only met Mark once, when he lived near Denis in the Pacific NW. Had bought some tooling and measuring equipment from him. Enjoyed a long chat and tour of his shop just outside his kitchen after picking up my purchases. Seemed like a smart, interesting guy. Wish I’d been able to spend more time in his company.
Yep, Dad was darn proud of that in home shop. He seemed about it for many years and finally made it a reality for himself. I bought him a sweatshirt with his company logo on it, he thought that was pretty neat. I now have the sweatshirt and will wear it with pride while remembering the absolute rock star my Dad was. Thank you for your words!

Sincerely,
Melissa

Very sorry for your loss. I am pretty sure you will find a member close by willing to help. As others have said retain a few keepsakes for those close to him to hold on to. I have many items of little value from the past that are priceless to me, like a big flat head screw driver my that my grandfather stirred paint with. I thought an employee lost it once and I wanted to kill him, thankful it was found. It was kept in my toolbox do not touch drawer.
I’m so glad you found your gramps screwdriver! After a loss, we treasure the sometimes small or invaluable things because they are priceless to us. There are things in his toolbox that I recognize but have no idea what they actually do, lol. Having help sorting things will be wonderful and I think Denis is the guy for that!! Thank you for your response!

-Melissa

I didn't know Mark very well beyond a few PM's about machinery we both had, a few tool purchases, and a message before one of his last moves. Never spoke by phone or met him in person but he seemed like a decent sort, we might have gotten on well with each other. I'm truly sorry for the loss to you and your family. He was a valued and respected member of this community and I wish I had known him better.

I didn't know Mark very well beyond a few PM's about machinery we both had, a few tool purchases, and a message before one of his last moves. Never spoke by phone or met him in person but he seemed like a decent sort, we might have gotten on well with each other. I'm truly sorry for the loss to you and your family. He was a valued and respected member of this community and I wish I had known him better.
Your kind words are heartfelt and appreciated! His memory will live on ❤️

Back