What's new
What's new

OT: home backup power generators

we are looking to get a portable generator and have the house wired with a generator plug-in so we can run things from the panel during an outage. At a minimum we'd like to run some lights, 2 fridges, microwave, TV, computer, wifi router, charge phones and ipads, and 2 gas furnaces or a portable AC, depending on weather.
Keep in mind that most small generators are not compatible with computers and the like. They don't produce a nice clean sine wave, have lots of noise and voltage/frequency fluctuations.

Keep in mind that most small generators are not compatible with computers and the like. They don't produce a nice clean sine wave, have lots of noise and voltage/frequency fluctuations.
Most electronics today are run internally by a switching power source that is very tolerant of incoming power. Some of them use 85-240 volt input and 50-60 hZ. There really are little worries about using a small generator. Even the inverter styles with their choppy sine wave.

Go over here as there are tens of smart generator people that check in often. Post under the Onan section as that one gets the most traffic. https://www.smokstak.com/

That seems nice, a good size AND no cooling system to maintain. :cheers:
PS I like the hammer already in the electric box, is that for if the transfer switch does not automatically transfer? ;)
Generac service disconnect / transfer switch goes between your incoming meter base and your existing electrical panel. When power drops the generac panel turns the generator on and switches power to your existing house panel. When city power is restored it switches back and shuts down the generator.

Typical start up and transfer time is around 10 seconds in the summer, slightly longer in winter until generator is running stable.

Since the old pic I added a Siemens whole house surge protector to the main panel.

Mpp5prG.jpg

Take this for what its worth- I've found that spare parts and service from Generac is worse than nonexistent.
Customer service is not a word in their vocabulary list.

There are half a dozen Generac standby generators in my neighborhood that range from 20 years old, mine is about a year and a half old and my neighbor just had a new one installed.

None have chit the bed and all running. The older units are loud as hell next to mine and the current enclosures are much better quality.

I put Generac generators in the same catagory as Goodman HVAC equipment. They sell a lot of it, it's the most used in their field but quality of installation and some maintenance makes a huge difference in longevity.

The lower end generacs are made in China, I think the large standby gens are usa made.

I have been told by folks smarter than me, the secret is to exercise the unit on a regular basis, like weekly or bi-weekly(that's what I do) and not forget the maintenance. This one will exercise without having to shut the power off, usually runs for 5 minutes, sends you a text saying ," exercising now" then text when finished saying "all good and back to ready status".

Back