What's new
What's new

OT, Insulating copper pipes on my shop heating solar collector

Yes, we have UV here in the PNW. UV gets absorbed by the atmosphere a lot. That is why when the sun is overhead one has to be careful and observe sunscreen and hats. As the sun sets though, the UV transmission through the atmosphere is nil. A good thing to remember is that when the sun is below 45 degrees, there is almost no UV getting to you.

I was just funnin' you. :D We've consistently got about the highest UV index in the country here in west Texas. It ruins just about everything.

I tried the black foam pipe insulation too and found that uv eats it up. I bought a number of solar panels off craigs list and they came with a bunch of higher quality foam. When I installed the panels on my shop I did a spiral wrap using 2" wide aluminum tape. Time will tell how well it will hold up but the stuff I did 2 years ago still looks like new.

Thermal conduction from moisture is your enemy in this situation. Moisture in contact with the outside of a pex line can rob serious BTUs.

I would go with a Pex solution as suggested previously that is then encased in closed cell spray foam that has direct contact with the pex. Exactly like what is used for piping pex lines underground to a wood boiler or gasifier.

Can be purchased by the foot from hydronic heating outfits, ebay etc. Might even find a left over length on the cheap.

Back