What's new
What's new

OT: My shop/business was destroyed by Arson; insurance questions

My experience is to go with a public adjuster 100%

Also, my experience is that cameras don't do shit. I have cameras everywhere and it does nothing to deter these punks.

This is awful. Thank you for posting a link to the fund me.

In another part of my journey I was a broker in the property and casualty insurance business. Focused primarily in the crane, heavy lift, heavy haul industries.

However, a policy is a policy. You are buying words printed on pieces of paper.

What problems are you having? Was a business property policy in place? Inland marine policy for the big stuff? How about business interruption and continuing expense?

If the coverage is there then you should be able to navigate this loss.

If the coverage is not, was not present, then this fact needs to be known before moving forward concerning insurance being of any benefit.

That would be silly. For the same reason the OP mentioned, cameras 'can' make a place actually safer.
Not to de-rail the thread, but people say the same thing about firearms. Having them makes you safer (or at least that's the argument), but that assumes those with them know how and when to use them and are not doing so nefariously, and being in a situation where you need them inherently isn't safe. Who knows what the landlord was thinking but if he was trying to promote his property like some small-town crimeless place, people probably would ask "then what's with the cameras." His argument could also be he didn't want to deal with general populations feelings about being on tape. Someone thinks their privacy is being infringed if there's cameras, someone else feels they have the right to have cameras.

It is silly. Stupid even.

.This 20 pages of lawyer written fine print crap needs to stop. What is covered could all be spelled out in plain everyday language in two pages.
We all spend a lot of our income on the thieving Insurance RACKET.

I understand your frustration. What you suggest though is not possible.

If you read the standard ISO form General Liability policy, and do so with the purpose of understanding what's going on, you will quickly realize that the policy immediately covers anything. Seeing how that's an impossible promise, the policy then goes into exclusions. They also give your a list of definitions in the back.

It is these exclusions and definitions that are the most important thing's to concern oneself when buying insurance.

Typically, both the buyer and seller of the insurance are focused on the declarations of limits and pricing page. Well, the limits are only worth anything if there aren't any exclusions.

Once you've read through enough policies and have a loose grasp on exclusions, next you can learn about coverage that is excluded from the policy, but then given back in the form of sublimits via endorsement.

There are a lot of moving parts to a policy.. so many that it would be impossible to take all but a few out. The cost of insurance would be astronomical. Us as insurance buyers, if we could and wanted to afford it would be under such strict underwriting requirements that most of us wouldn't be approved.

Dude really wanted to represent his business with a logo from the war and chose the one that’s literally a swastika

View attachment 427186
It’s actually from the original vw/kdf logo. I suppose it’s similar but no. It’s literally not a swastika..
My main customer base is aircooled vw, it’s relevant to the community I work with. I can understand your confusion but don’t tell people it’s literally a Swastika…. Thanks
1707355503878.jpeg

I have an old USA Boy scout medal. It has a swastika on the back. I think it was made around 1925. An ancient native american symbol of good luck. Stolen by Nazis.
A four blade pump impeller is not a swastika either.
Bill D

Attachments

• mixer.jpeg
    mixer.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
KdF wagon= Kraft durch Freude 'Strength thru Joy' civic club was what the car was built for, IIRC.

Had an Indian (binde) GF, my best friend is part Indian, that symbol is all over the subcontinent- it's a good luck symbol for over a billion people.

Finland still uses it, as well.

and with the news nowadays, really not good for getting any sympathy anymore.

Really feel for the OP, lousy situation. OP does reside in California, some pretty strong California law to hold insurance carriers feet to the fire. You should contact the California Insurance Commission.

The cost of insurance would be astronomical.
I have won the insurance game for years by not playing it. Insurance companies are not charities, they expect you to pay for your own losses and add a little on top for them. They just spread it out over a longer time period. So if you just don't drive drunk, don't crash, don't set the shop on fire, and don't act like an ass, most likely you will not need insurance.

If you think you are not capable of being careful and intelligent, then buy insurance. It's a tax on stupidity.

This guy's story rings some alarm bells for me. But then I am cynical. That's what you get for being old.

I am so sorry for your devastating loss. No way camera's would have stopped this lunatic. They don't stop crime, they only document it and you already know who did it. Suing the landlord is likely a waste of money only to make your attorney rich.

A camera is your friend now however. Go in and photograph every square inch. Then list each and every tool, machine, stock, rag, oil can, tube of loctite, bolt, nut, roll of tape, broom, dust pan, screw, ect. Both the stuff you would take if you moved and even the stuff you would then throw away. Along side everthing on the list write down it's fair market value if you rebought it including tax. Then attach to each photo, the list of items in the photo and their value. That is how you document your loss to the insurance company. Such documentation is 90% of what you would pay a public adjuster to do.

You were a lot more polite than I would have been.

I'm still in the walking softly stage. Sort of like we were discussing in the other thread, I don't want to use the big stick unless I *have* to. :D

I like to think most of the guys here are capable of acting like civil adults with just a gentle reminder. Sometimes it takes a prod, sometimes it takes a beating.

I am so sorry for your devastating loss. No way camera's would have stopped this lunatic. They don't stop crime, they only document it and you already know who did it. Suing the landlord is likely a waste of money only to make your attorney rich.

A camera is your friend now however. Go in and photograph every square inch. Then list each and every tool, machine, stock, rag, oil can, tube of loctite, bolt, nut, roll of tape, broom, dust pan, screw, ect. Both the stuff you would take if you moved and even the stuff you would then throw away. Along side everthing on the list write down it's fair market value if you rebought it including tax. Then attach to each photo, the list of items in the photo and their value. That is how you document your loss to the insurance company. Such documentation is 90% of what you would pay a public adjuster to do.
We had to do this up until the value surpassed the max payout for the policy, then it was a waste of time.
Because of the loss being over the policy, he also got to keep and sell everything, including the building.

I have won the insurance game for years by not playing it. Insurance companies are not charities, they expect you to pay for your own losses and add a little on top for them. They just spread it out over a longer time period. So if you just don't drive drunk, don't crash, don't set the shop on fire, and don't act like an ass, most likely you will not need insurance.

If you think you are not capable of being careful and intelligent, then buy insurance. It's a tax on stupidity.

This guy's story rings some alarm bells for me. But then I am cynical. That's what you get for being old.
I look at it a bit differently. You're not insuring yourself against your own stupidity, but rather against the consequences imposed on you by other people's stupidity. If you're hit and injured by an uninsured drunk driver who's going to pay the medical bills. If you become permanently disabled, you will no longer be able to earn an income. In cases like these you lose.

Back