What's new
What's new

Parts manual needed for FP2 with motor in the base.

rimcanyon

Diamond
I am finally getting back to finish the FP2 rebuild I started a decade (+) ago... Knee, Y axis slide, headstock ways and long reach vertical head ways were hand scraped, turcite applied to the column top, then project went on hold when I found my sea legs on the FP2NC. Still need to scrape the table ways and fit everything together. Just like Ross predicted...

So I am left with an interesting puzzle collection of parts. Decided to start with the installation of the knee, but found that my parts manual covers a different model FP2: the model with the motor sticking out on the rear. My FP2 has the motor inside the base casting. Where can I find a copy of the parts manual I need? Serial number of the machine is 3202.

-Dave

???

apologies if you've already looked through those

sorry it wasn't there
(I personally covet an older FP1 or Alexander)

but i have an idea who might help
@Peter from Holland

he should get a notification he's been mentioned if I understand the way the forum functions

Dave
Do you have the Deckel CD from Wrench? Think that covers that era FP2.
Also think that “balen” has posted lots of photos and text on his FP2 rebuild especially the ins/outs of the feed gearing in the vertical slide.

Cheers Ross

Ross, thanks for the suggestions. I used to have Allen's CD, will look for it. Bigger problem will be finding a CD player. I have read most of Bruce's posts, and plan to re-read them.

Do you happen to know the fp2 time line? he i.e. what years were the fp's with the motor inside the base made? I think mid-60's.
-Dave

Not much of a student of the model lineage timeline.
I have a working knowledge of the major changes in the models but don’t
have all the variants or the times they were made. .
In general think the enclosed motor machines lasted till around 66’ or 68’.

Cheers Ross

I suppose enclosed motor stopped when the FP3 was launched, so one can figure out (if one does know when the FP3 was launched :) )

BR,
Thanos

In my eye I really don’t care what the build date is for any machine I have!
With Deckel the overall build generation
Is is really all that counts.
I am really only interested in the machine physical features ,capabilities and condition, not some point on a calendar
Cheers Ross .

In my eye I really don’t care what the build date is for any machine I have!
With Deckel the overall build generation
Is is really all that counts.
I am really only interested in the machine physical features ,capabilities and condition, not some point on a calendar
Cheers Ross .
Hey Ross,

+1 on this, though I think Dave was after the manufacturing date so as to be able to match it to a manual, there are some manuals around with a date in the filename...

BR,
Thanos

My FP2 with motor inside base is from late 1966. With serial number 5084.
I believe the model changed sometime in 1967.

I have an original paper parts list of the old type.
If your FP2 has the start/stop buttons inbetween the shifters this is the one.

Send me a PM with your email address. As you have the CD somewhere, I can send you the version from the Deckel DVD without hurting "Wrench".

Last edited:
Ross, thanks for the suggestions. I used to have Allen's CD, will look for it. Bigger problem will be finding a CD player. I have read most of Bruce's posts, and plan to re-read them.

Do you happen to know the fp2 time line? he i.e. what years were the fp's with the motor inside the base made? I think mid-60's.
-Dave

Erik, thanks for the kind offer. I actually found a parts manual pdf online for the fp2 with motor in the base and on/off buttons in the center. However, mine is the model with on/off buttons at the top. I assume that mine is earlier than 1966, based on your serial number.

Thanos, my fp2's work table/X-slide is 830mm long (the length of the slotted portion), but its not together. I am guessing that the X travel is 590mm, because the model with on/off buttons in the center has a 700mm slide and 460mm travel, according to the manual.

So, still looking. I wonder if the center-button manual is applicable to my machine, except for the x-slide? The way the operators side panel is wired, the wires originate at the center of the column, so having the buttons at top or in the center is just the panel design. However, now that I am aware of that distinction, I see that my operators manual is also not the right one for my machine. It is for a machine with motor in the base and on/off buttons in the center, so I am looking for both parts and operators manuals.

Last edited:
Dave:
Your “X” travel numbers have me a bit confused.
First gen FP2’s have the longest travels, at AFAIK 500 mm full travel, somewhat less for power.
My FP2 (65?) has the upper power PB’s motor in the base and 500mm “X” travels.
All subsequent FP2’s ( outside rear facing motor) have an “X” travel of 400 mm. (Hand feed, power at 390mm)

Don’t think there are any significant mechanical changes on the first gen version (motor inside the base).
That manual should be fine for your machine PB location not withstanding.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross, I estimated the X travel by doing the following: my X work table is 830mm long, which is 130mm longer than the slide in the next gen FP2, so I added 130mm to the travel shown in the manual for that machine, which is 460mm (18 ⅛"). Here is a copy of the dimensioned drawing from the manual:

IMG_1285.jpeg
I realize that the method of estimating the travel is crude, I should be comparing the lengths of the threaded portions of the screws or the stops instead of the work table... So maybe the delta should be 100mm, which would make the travel 560mm.

Last edited:
Think that spec is for the middle panel start/stop button machines. That’s a very early offering, did not build that version long and was upgraded to the upper button machines, (yours) which have 500mm “X” travels.

Cheers Ross

Think that spec is for the middle panel start/stop button machines. That’s a very early offering, did not build that version long and was upgraded to the upper button machines, (yours) which have 500mm “X” travels.

Cheers Ross
OK, I'm confused. Erik's serial number on his middle button fp2 is 5084, my upper button machine is 3202. His machine is from 1966. By 1968 the fp2 had the motor in the rear. So either the upper button motor in the base machines came before the mid button machines, or they were a 1 year offering in 1967. It would help if more people with motor in the base fp2's would provide some data.

Back