What's new
What's new

Rivett 608

Hello all,

I’m new to this forum as well as new to metal lathes. I’ve just retired in 2019 and have become a gunsmith after many many years as ab armorer/firearms instructor at my sheriffs office.

I was given a Rivett 608 with tons of extras. I know I need a new motor (original is not on the machine and was replaced with a 1/4hp motor). Where can I find a tool holder, motor etc?

I’m so new to this I’m dangerous and want to do this right. Any information on this lathe would be more that appreciated.

You can find broad information on Rivett lathes here.

Whatever motor it might have been supplied with originally can usually be replaced by a more generic and readily available one. What you look for may depend on what electrical service you have available, what features you want, and how much you want to fiddle with parts. You can almost certainly find a 120v single phase motor that will serve. If you have three phase service it will provide easy reversing and smoother operation. Past that you can use a three phase motor and a variable frequency drive to provide both speed control and reversing, even from single phase service. Or you can look for DC motors and controllers that offer similar features to VFD drives.

A very high-class lathe.
1/4 hp is Ok but 1/2 hp to 3/4 (to 1 hp)may be better, likely was a 1750RPM motor. looks like the info Richard gave says a 1500 RPM motor (page 33). For gun work, you may wish to have a steady rest and may have to fudge one up with a steady from another brand lathe. This to hold a barrel between centers or the barrel end in a 4 jaw and a steady someplace on the barrel and the breach toward the tail..
Always remove the trigger because you are like to crash into with your hand and break it and damage your hand,
QT Op: with tons of extras...perhaps you have a steady.

Last edited:

Whatever motor it might have been supplied with originally can usually be replaced by a more generic and readily available one. What you look for may depend on what electrical service you have available, what features you want, and how much you want to fiddle with parts. You can almost certainly find a 120v single phase motor that will serve. If you have three phase service it will provide easy reversing and smoother operation. Past that you can use a three phase motor and a variable frequency drive to provide both speed control and reversing, even from single phase service. Or you can look for DC motors and controllers that offer similar features to VFD drives.
Thanks for the info, tomorrow I pick her up and will learn more! My brother has an old brake lathe motor I may try to snag from his shop. I’d like to keep it 110volt, this way I don’t have to run a new plug /breaker to my shop. This lathe will be my learner lathe as I want to upgrade later! Good thing I have 2 friends that are machinists!

Thanks for the info, tomorrow I pick her up and will learn more! My brother has an old brake lathe motor I may try to snag from his shop. I’d like to keep it 110volt, this way I don’t have to run a new plug /breaker to my shop. This lathe will be my learner lathe as I want to upgrade later! Good thing I have 2 friends that are machinists!
You might want to upgrade sometime for a larger lathe but you won't ever find a better quality one.

Buy some Mobil Vactra 2 way oil. Clean the machine and oil it before you start cranking the handles. Don't blow off the dirt with compressed air. Use a paint brush and sweep off chips. After using it brush and wipe off the dirt and then dab on some oil but before you crank he handles wipe off the oil on the ways as there is lint and dirt floating in the air. You have a jewel and it needs to be treated like a jewel. If your not real familiar with machining and turning I would recommend you buy a book off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Theory-Henry-Trade-School/dp/1163156329

If you don't have this already, Here is a booklet I found on Vintagemachinery.com http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2379/16736.pdf

Also thank you for your service. Folks who protect and serve are my hero's, not some basketball player. :-) Rich
PS: you can find new single phase motors at Tractor Supply Stores.
Thanks for posting this link. I've had a 608 for over 40 years and never saw this info. I rescued mine from a junk pile in the back room of an old garage.
It's not a museum piece, but it's accurate and I use it often.
J. Clear

Buy some Mobil Vactra 2 way oil. Clean the machine and oil it before you start cranking the handles. Don't blow off the dirt with compressed air. Use a paint brush and sweep off chips. After using it brush and wipe off the dirt and then dab on some oil but before you crank he handles wipe off the oil on the ways as there is lint and dirt floating in the air. You have a jewel and it needs to be treated like a jewel. If your not real familiar with machining and turning I would recommend you buy a book off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Theory-Henry-Trade-School/dp/1163156329
Thanks for the info, it looks like I have a lot of work to do before I use this thing. It did come with a 3, two 4 jaws and a 6 jaw, I also found a tool post mounted grinder by dumore!

I'm not in Colorado, but I'm currently disassembling and repairing my recently acquired 608.

There are a lot of good resources mentioned in a thread on the PM Antique Machinery forum on page 2 called "Setting up my new to me Rivett 504. The link is:

Specifically, there is a ton of old brochures, manuals and drawing on the neme-s.org site, and a listserv via group.io .

I'm very much looking forward to getting my 608 up and running.
Andrew

Using a tool post grinder on a Jewel isn't what I would do. If you do grind on it, cover the ways with some thin rubber covers, brush and wipe it really well. You could also use a vacuum

There is a US army manual for the Rivett which is up on one of the hobby metalworkng club sites. It covers disassembly, and reassembly of the Rivett 608. It is mostly applicable to later ones, but the design did not change much.

I'll check out and post where that is, if nobody else posts it sooner.

I have found the manual quite helpful in restoring my post-war 5C type, which is still a work in progress, but is progressing again after a couple years of being very busy with other matters.

If you post this over in the antique section you'll find out anything you want to know.
And be sure to post pictures.

Back