What's new
What's new

Seeking order fulfillment warehouse in mid-west & Canada

Toolbert

Stainless
So our accidental little manufacturing biz is located in an inconvenient corner of the PNW, on an island accessed only via ferry and where everything is expensive, including our warehouse space. A good part of our rent is for storing finished inventory ready for shipment, most of which is shipped direct to customers in the eastern half of the U.S., where the typical ground ship charge is $25 more than it would be if shipped from e.g. Ohio.

At some point, it becomes attractive to ship a full 55' trailer a couple times a year, and pay someone else to store the boxes and print labels. I think what we want is a fulfillment center, not a distributor, not Amazon. We take the orders, handle the $$, ship on our Fedex account, & just pay someone to warehouse & print the labels.

Anyone have any experience with this, from either side of the deal?

Before anyone says it please, well Amazon does many things great, and one of them is charging fees way out of proportion to their value to us, mostly for services we don't need.

We have a separate problem with Canada, where our package are too large for USPS, and the brokerage + tax collection fees from Fedex are just nutty - another $50 per package on top of the actual shipping cost, duties and sales taxes - and then of course most of the boxes go to Ontario & Quebec.

For this, we'd ship a few pallets per year, and can justify higher cost. So a separate question is order fulfillment for U.S. manufacturers who ship bulky packages to Canada.

We ship everything via Fedex Ground, with ship charges in the 48 states ranging from $20 to $65. We'll spend around $100K with Fedex in 2013, any scenario that cuts that in half is worth some study.

thanks,

Bob

I believe Daryl Flood in Coppell,TX does things like what you are looking for. Not sure how much you would save as you pay them to receive the product, warehouse it and then ship. They may also go by JDF distribution, it's been a few years

what is the average size of your outgoing packages? How many different products? What are the average or specific weights of outgoing products?

The reason I ask is that I sold my import/distribution business this year. I live on a farm with a 3000 square foot shop, I can add as many storage containers as I want (it gets cold obviously in the winter, can your products be stored in cold weather should the shop not have enough room). We are located in South East Iowa, ZIP 52637. The shop is in a safe area with very low crime rate, we live 50 feet from it. Might be something I would want to do and I pretty much did that same thing for my own products for the past 20 years.

Send me an email if you would be interested in talking about it some more, [email protected]. If you want a more formal established business then of course that's not what I am.

Thanks for your replies so far, I'll follow up off-line. Working with a small business is fine, we are one.

The packages in question are all "dimensional weight" rated, range from 60x5x21 to 65x7x23 with actual weight 25-60 lbs.

just sent you an email from PM web site. I didn't subscribe to this thread and just noticed there was new action on it.

I prefer email for follow up instead of always going back to PM to see what is going on in each thread.

Francesco De Santis

Thanks for your replies so far, I'll follow up off-line. Working with a small business is fine, we are one.

The packages in question are all "dimensional weight" rated, range from 60x5x21 to 65x7x23 with actual weight 25-60 lbs.

Toolbert,
Westcap Warehousing & Logistics is located in Nashville, Tennessee. Nashville is centrally located to service the east coast with two-day ship times to New York City, Dallas, Miami and Chicago. Next-day points include: Memphis, Louisville, St. Louis and Atlanta. We would be happy to speak with you about fulfillment. Please contact me through our website at Westcap Warehousing & Logistics.
Thanks and good luck.

Back