What's new
What's new

Sidney 24" made in 1945

Caseyschwem

Plastic
Howdy gentleman, I've got a 24" sidney lathe. Made back in 1945. She still makes parts daily, however she's at a point where she could use a little love. My linear feed engagement is goofy and I'm repairing it but I'd LOVE to have a exploded parts view or a MANUAL for this girl. I certainly hope I've posted this thread in the right compartment onthis site. If I've goofed, please let me know. And thanks for any info in advance. Make it a great day, boys.

Attachments

• 20230225_150513.jpg
    20230225_150513.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230225_150319.jpg
    20230225_150319.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20230225_182831.jpg
    20230225_182831.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230225_182838.jpg
    20230225_182838.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20230225_182848.jpg
    20230225_182848.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230225_182858.jpg
    20230225_182858.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 68
Most have a gap in the middle,but some dont .......they were pretty common in the1920s and 30s .....lots of truck axles had herringbone gears ,some car gearboxes had them .....even one motorbike gearbox had herringbone gears .

Herring bone gearing was Sidney's thing like how Monarch had all helical drive.

I have not seen any maintenance manuals for Sidney Lathes, but this was pretty common back then.

Howdy gentleman, I've got a 24" sidney lathe. Made back in 1945. She still makes parts daily, however she's at a point where she could use a little love. My linear feed engagement is goofy and I'm repairing it but I'd LOVE to have a exploded parts view or a MANUAL for this girl. I certainly hope I've posted this thread in the right compartment onthis site. If I've goofed, please let me know. And thanks for any info in advance. Make it a great day, boys.
Casey,

I just uploaded several document to the VintageMachinery site including three in-depth manuals for Sidney lathes from 1940. The manuals are lengthy and have actual blueprints. I’m not sure if your 24” lathe is covered, but you should check them out. If you search the National Archives and find a manual you want that’s stored at one of the Archives’ NCR locations, I can go get it for you (scan/copy it).

James

As far as I know, Sidney never published any service or parts manual. There could be a stray assembly drawing here and there and that's about it. http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=750

Oh, is that an old Lehmann Hydrotrol lathe in the back ground?
Check on the VintageMachinery site. I uploaded three documents that include blueprints. Fairly in-depth manuals/service manual type info.

I seem to remember having a book that went over the basics of Herringbone gear manufacturing. I'll have to look it up but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it was one of my first Machinist reference books published by McGraw Hill in the mid/late 40's and was written as kind of a "Machinist 101" text-book, but from the perspective of sending the students directly into production manufacturing. It had some information on automatic drill machines, turret lathes, and the like and kinda "advertised" herringbone gears as the future of gear technology.

I always got the impression that while a superior design, the cost to benefit ratio limited it to companies that had extensive manufacturing skill and resources, so it never really became common other than in applications where the duty on the gears could justify it.

I got to run one in the mid 1980's that was brought in as a "fill in" lathe while the Mazak they had went out for rebuild. (Piece of Junk!) Nobody would run it. We were in a hurry to get something done, they pointed over to that lathe and said use that one or wait in line to get it done. I don't recall what it was I did, but I got to run it for about 20 minutes. That was the most quietest running gear head lathe I've ever run in my life today.

ISTR there is a youtube video on herringbone gearing manufacturing. Two shapers, one from each side. One side strokes, then the other. The bur gets knocked off by the tool from the other side.

Back