What's new
What's new

The new UMC 750 arrived today

We have four DMG Mori NHX horizontals. All CELOS machines, all different generations. We're kind of like a museum for the history of DMG Mori horizontals post-2014.

The problems we've experienced with the machines that caused downtime have largely been electro-mechanical. For example:
  1. Gen 2 NHX4000-5RPP: had hydraulic problems for years. Half a dozen different techs couldn't properly diagnose the issue. Six years later, their best tech (who I've known the entire time) was finally able to come in to diagnose the issue in 10 minutes. He's not even a tech anymore... got promoted. Turns out the problem was a sticky contactor made by Siemens, causing underpressure and overpressure conditions. I bought a replacement for $70. Problem solved.

2. Gen 3 NHX4000-21RPS: Wye-Delta contactor to switch for high/low RPM windings also got sticky.

3. Gen 3 NHX4000-21RPS: sticky roller limit switch in the twin-belt ATC. The switch checks position of the pot transfer shuttle between belt 1 and belt 2. These same switches are used on various DMG Mori machines and used to be made in Japan. Since the late 2010s, they're now made in China, although still sold by the same Japanese supplier (not DMG Mori).
The machines are mechanically as bulletproof as they ever were. But they've been letting the electrics slip and need to get that back under control. So far our newest NHX5500-21RPS has been problem-free for over a year.

The issue with the staffing kind of gave me a chuckle. Sort of reminds me of Band of Brothers where Captain Winters got promoted and Lt. Dike took over Easy.

Last edited:
She has power. Haas techs arrived today. More postings as things develop.
Not sure what cad cam software you use but simulate everything and try not to crash it, 750 kinematics can get a bit off when crashed hard. We load large dovetailed aluminum workpieces into our 750's and they churn out aerospace parts and money. :)

Not sure what cad cam software you use but simulate everything and try not to crash it, 750 kinematics can get a bit off when crashed hard. We load large dovetailed aluminum workpieces into our 750's and they churn out aerospace parts and money. :)
We will be using Esprit. We have seats for TNG and EspritXXX

Back