What's new
What's new

Renishaw Probe startup failure 1101

WEnis_TV

Plastic
Guys, I am currently running a Haas UMC-750 with a Renishaw 40-2 probe.

When I try to run the G65P9832 in MDI it activates the probe but when I try to run it in the program it gives me the startup failure alarm. Any ideas?

Yep. If it's not the batteries, it's the batteries. I've had those batteries come out of the package dead or too weak to power the probe. Being new doesn't guarantee they're good.

I buy them in 6-8 packs on eBay. What I suspect is happening is I'm getting counterfeit crap out of China half the time. I try to buy from established battery stores and I look closely at the terminals and labeling but, that's still no guarantee. If I happen to be making a McMaster order, I'll get them there.

I buy them in 6-8 packs on eBay. What I suspect is happening is I'm getting counterfeit crap out of China half the time. I try to buy from established battery stores and I look closely at the terminals and labeling but, that's still no guarantee. If I happen to be making a McMaster order, I'll get them there.
Nice!

What kind of batteries are they? There's got to be a reputable source somewhere.

Saft LS14250. Exactly what the probes ship with. They're half AA, 3.6V batteries.

Edit: Looks like Digikey has Saft as well as a few other brands. I might buy the next batch through them.

They use Lithium Thionyl Chloride chemistry which is interesting in that it produces very consistent voltage, even down at low temperatures (cold winter shop in the morning?). They also discharge at a very flat, constant rate. They go and go and go and then off a cliff at the end. I'm guessing they were chosen because the probes need that power to communicate to the wireless base and can't afford the slow degradation of other battery types.

Last edited:
Damn, no sooner than this got posted and I had two batteries that came out of the packaging dead. The batteries they were replacing lasted a suspiciously short time too. Opened another fresh batch from a different purchase and those were fine.

Saft LS14250. Exactly what the probes ship with. They're half AA, 3.6V batteries.

Edit: Looks like Digikey has Saft as well as a few other brands. I might buy the next batch through them.

They use Lithium Thionyl Chloride chemistry which is interesting in that it produces very consistent voltage, even down at low temperatures (cold winter shop in the morning?). They also discharge at a very flat, constant rate. They go and go and go and then off a cliff at the end. I'm guessing they were chosen because the probes need that power to communicate to the wireless base and can't afford the slow degradation of other battery types.
Seems to me that these 1/2AA batteries have been chosen due to the size of the probe. The OMP60 as well as OTS-AA use good old regular discharge alkaline AA type batteries and I personally, totally contrary to 1/2AA, never did exercise any problem with them.

Stefan
Cogito Ergo Sum

Are you the only person replacing the batteries?
I know that sounds stupid....but... years ago I was the 1st shift machinist on a machine that ran 3 shifts. Boss had bought some of the 1/2 AA batteries for the probe and they were in a zip lock bag. 8 or 10 of them in there. When I changed the probe batteries I dumped the old ones in the trash. Seemed like battery life was very sporadic. Eventually I found out the kid on 3rd shift had replaced the batteries a time or 2 and since he didnt know where to throw the old ones (dead battery bin in Maintenance dept.) he would put them back in the bag. :skep:

Are you the only person replacing the batteries?
In this case, yes, I'm the only one changing the batteries. I could totally see that happening though.

In the Radio Shack days, they carried those cells. They charged $20 each for them but, they had them if you needed them in a hurry.

Back