What's new
What's new

The new UMC 750 arrived today

Hi Mr Atoz:
Don't let your objectivity get too limited by the negative commentary.
Give it a chance.

Now I know that is heresy, but I watched my former business partner turn his into a useful productive machine, even with all the shortcomings.
It was pretty painful to watch... it ate a huge amount of time, and some of the limitations were never completely overcome, but he managed to put out a lot of good work with it...warts and all.

You will have to be persistent in tracking down and overcoming numerous shortcomings in ways you would never have to if you bought a Grob or a Hermle, but you didn't pay Grob or Hermle dollars either, so you have to temper your expectations and you have to be ruthlessly persistent in insisting that whatever shortcomings you find be mitigated as much as possible by the reseller who sold you the machine.

Keith fucked around with his for over a year, but he eventually got there and was able to produce work on it that was way outside what one would normally expect from a low end machine like this one.
I was impressed with his persistence and with what he was able to eventually accomplish, but it took a lot of gritted teeth to get there...much more than most would deem acceptable for such a big purchase.

However, another acquaintance bought a DMG around the same time...he has some stories to tell too, so it's not always smiles and roses even when you get a premium brand.

So don't hate it right out of the gate, but take the time to learn its performance envelope...maybe you got lucky and got one you can live with.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hi Mr Atoz:
Don't let your objectivity get too limited by the negative commentary.
Give it a chance.

Now I know that is heresy, but I watched my former business partner turn his into a useful productive machine, even with all the shortcomings.
It was pretty painful to watch... it ate a huge amount of time, and some of the limitations were never completely overcome, but he managed to put out a lot of good work with it...warts and all.

You will have to be persistent in tracking down and overcoming numerous shortcomings in ways you would never have to if you bought a Grob or a Hermle, but you didn't pay Grob or Hermle dollars either, so you have to temper your expectations and you have to be ruthlessly persistent in insisting that whatever shortcomings you find be mitigated as much as possible by the reseller who sold you the machine.

Keith fucked around with his for over a year, but he eventually got there and was able to produce work on it that was way outside what one would normally expect from a low end machine like this one.
I was impressed with his persistence and with what he was able to eventually accomplish, but it took a lot of gritted teeth to get there...much more than most would deem acceptable for such a big purchase.

However, another acquaintance bought a DMG around the same time...he has some stories to tell too, so it's not always smiles and roses even when you get a premium brand.

So don't hate it right out of the gate, but take the time to learn its performance envelope...maybe you got lucky and got one you can live with.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
i put DMG in the same boat right next to HAAS. garbage reliability and garbage service.

Now this is interesting!
Would you say the same of Mori Seiki pre-merger?
Have heard similar complaints but that was when they were first peddling the "spiral bevels surfacing" stuff. The dmg machines then were kind of feeble for that type work. And have heard some mori owners saying that the newer moris are not as bulletproof as the older ones.

Just gossip maybe but .. Deckel has never been what you'd call heavy-duty production machinery. Might be a case of wrong machine for the job.

not at all!
mori machines are great. the merger fucked everything up.

We've had reports to watch out for the spindles on the nh series horizontal - either 4000 or 5000 I forget which - and a few shops making gear blanks on the lathes that said the newer ones were not as robust as the SL series.

But, you know, gossip .... and we've had customers who were too stupid to read the manual blaming the machine, so there is that, too.

We've had reports to watch out for the spindles on the nh series horizontal - either 4000 or 5000 I forget which - and a few shops making gear blanks on the lathes that said the newer ones were not as robust as the SL series.

But, you know, gossip .... and we've had customers who were too stupid to read the manual blaming the machine, so there is that, too.
NHX4000 is what i had personal experience with, which was complete HELL. everything you could think of on that POS broke. couldnt go more than a day in a row without something new bringing the machine down.

All the pre-merger NH-4000, NL series lathes and dura-verticals I have been around/ran were great machines. the newer stuff especially from a few years after the merger is not so great. We had one of the best dealers for mori just over the border in NH but Mori went direct and now I hear that the service and support is garbage.

Which dealer was that? At this point, I'm more inclined to buy from a good dealer than worry about a specific brand.
Tyler Machine Tool was in Seabrook NH. The last company I worked for was 500ft down the street and we had a NH4000 the owner bought from them in 2007ish bulletproof machine.

Back