What's new
What's new

Tooling & Machinery from "The Real Leigh" Estate

Now that all of that has died down....

I am confident that anyone who makes arrangements to see the goods, "puts together a pile of stuff" to purchase, and makes an offer that is fair to both buyer & seller she would take it. And you will be pleased w/ your deal you made.

I don't disagree. I wish we could do more to assist. PM may not be the best or only channel.

Just tried to ring you. I'm at 703-473-7011

When my great uncle died they rolled in a scrap dumpster, tossed everything and paid for prom tuxes with the proceeds. Not everyone knows or cares what a hobby shop is worth.

An update to Mark's list, with what's been sold:

• 1957 Monarch 10EE: Looks to have had a drive conversion, some tooling, 3 & 4-jaw chucks, Jacobs Rubberflex Set.
  • Nichols Horizontal Mill
  • Hardware cabinets, these are full of rivnuts and weld-on studs
  • Misc tools
  • *SOLD* Bridgeport Mill: 32" table, 1950's s/n, has a Kurt vise, DRO, Rt angle head, collets, and some misc other items.
  • *SOLD* Delta Wood/Metal Bandsaw: single phase, I plugged it in and it works
  • *SOLD* Belt sander: Motor hums when you hit switch
  • *SOLD* Bridgeport 12" Rotary table
  • *SOLD* Browne & Sharpe Rotary Table
  • *SOLD* Carrol 11inch? Dividing head w/ plates
  • *SOLD* Material stock: Steel, brass, alum, bronze, SS, no certs
  • *SOLD* Four Billets of Titanium, about 3 x 2 x 15, alloy unknown
  • *SOLD* Coffing Chain Hoist NIB
  • *SOLD* Measuring instruments
  • *SOLD* Plenty of NIB endmills, drills, reamers, dies
  • *SOLD* Boring heads
  • *SOLD* Various measuring instruments
  • *SOLD* Bosch sliding miter saw

/Bill

I haven't been back since I took the photos but much is gone I am told.

What remains, I am told, is...

* Monarch 10EE lathe
* Rolling Platform Ladder
* Pallet Jack
* Various hand tools
* Small air compressor

And maybe a few other things...

Last edited:
Having tried to buy thing under similar circumstances I will tell you how this will probably end up. Your going to go look at the stuff and find something and ask "how much" she will reply "what will you give me" you will make an offer what ever you offer it won't be enough. You put it down pick up something else same thing this goes on until you give up and leave. You don't have any idea what anything is worth so you will make some offer that to her will be way less than her husband paid for it and she will reject it expecting to get what he paid for it.

This is why an auction is the best way of disposing of a hobby shop. Everything gets sold in one day. The people that own the property think they got cheated. The people that buy think they got cheated. Everybody gets to go home mad it's as they say a win-win for everybody.

It sometimes happens this way. Clearly, under these circumstances, it did not.

The fact that a bulk of the shop sold off rapidly is proof that predispositions should always be suspended- the survivors should be granted dignity and presumed innocent, rather than painted dark.

After all, she lost the most important item in the shop- Leigh.

Look at it- Leighs 10EE appears to be amidst a DRO installation. Just a short while ago, his hands were there, putting it on path to another future... now he's gone, not just from it's future, but hers, and ours as well.

When I'm gone, my wife and family will have only a limited understanding of what I have. My only advice to them, is to SELL THE FORKLIFTS LAST.

My only hope, is that my proximally close friends have enough room to move the bulk of my machines to theirs, and the proper outlets for more budding machinists to put them all moving forward to their collective futures.

Somebody snag that 10EE- I'm too far away!!!

I...

Somebody snag that 10EE- I'm too far away!!!

That just happened, in complete demonstration of what you're saying: the widow didn't want to pay the rent of the place for one more month and offered the 10EE and a pallet jack for free to a friend of mine. He didn't feel right and paid her $500 for it.

Paolo

I talked to her by email the other day and she has declared the machine shop all sold! All gone but a small selection of everyday hand tools that was picked over.

Last edited:
My recent experience of knowing people who had to liquidate machine tools. First guy was packrat, when he died the widow had no idea what to do? He had went to many auctions, collected a wide variety of machines, tooling, etc. The son, came from out of state, spent a couple of days sorting it, put an ad on craigslist for a three day garage sale, came back three months later and did it again, and 6 months later finished the last of it off. Prices were fair for everybody, both buyer and seller. Alot of work for the son, but mom got all the money!
Second guy died suddenly, wife called out of town machinery auctioneer who had an online auction and a few things brought good money, some stuff brought fair money, most of it went cheap! Widow had turned down some offers on some items before the auction thinking the stuff would bring more but it didn't? After the auctioneers commission, advertising etc. The widow got maybe 50% of the value?
Third guy had auction before he died, everything had been written of when it was a going business, after the auction fees, and paying taxes on recapture of assets he got maybe 25%?

Reactions: Ox
What the hell is a "bun-fight"?

English-English term. Came off long-ago privileged classes of snotty twats [1] in University dining-halls going silly. Then literally pelting at each other with .... would you believe it?

Ignorant bread rolls!

"Food fight" would be the Yew-Ass-of Aye equivalent. Messier lot, septics can be.

Got "gentrified" to NON physical / merely verbal disagreements at "tea" and similar social gatherings where manners were meant to be more refined but but but .. folk practiced their expertise at scoring "points" over clever and "cutting" comments and such instead.

Pointless, irrelevant, either way, as it tends to leave behind a bad taste and a mess not easily cleaned-up...

:(

[1] To be fair, they were often but children, yet. One of my ancestors who sat to read the Law at Cambridge was all of 13 years old, so...

Back