What's new
What's new

Turning 13" long .875 delrin rod down to .770

I'm needing to turn 13 rods of delrin 13" long down to .770. I'm turning between centers with a live center at the tail end. I've indicated the tail stock to the head stock so that I'm getting a difference of .001-.0015 at the ends. My problem is that I'm getting a belly in the middle of +.005. I'm using HHS. I don't have a follower rest and I'm not sure if that would even work on delrin. Is there something else that I can do besides make a follower rest. My lathe is a Victor 1640 gap lathe. I've searched Ebay for that but haven't seen anything except followers that I would have to totally redo. Looking to buy if any available.

Swiss. Or if you prefer sliding head lathe although that term has negative connotations for some.

Build your own sliding bushing setup.

The devil is in the details. It may not be too tough to do if you are lucky enough to have the flat tapped follower rest mounting on the leading face of the saddle. It's kinda like swiss turning. Get the tool up close to the bushing.

View attachment 434301
Ive done this too, except I had the bushing on the freshly turned diameter behind the tool.

Hi manualmillandlathe:
As others have pointed out, you will have a very hard time trying to turn something so long, skinny and floppy between centers.
My personal GOTO for getting around this is to do a variant of what cole2534 advocates in post #5 and that is to turn it in sections.
I have had best success on parts in this size range and in this material by using a 6 jaw Set Tru chuck at the headstock end and a live center in the tailstock.
I've been less successful with a 5C collet chuck because stock Delrin bars are often just enough oversized to make them a PITA to try to advance through a collet.

So I stick out maybe 2" at a time...I clock the stock before I begin and get it running as close as the chuck will run...typically better than 0.0005" TIR.
I put in a center before I turn the first 2" end.
I mark the periphery with a Sharpie stripe that I align to the same jaw as I incrementally advance the stock and I put a live center against the free end.
I mark and tighten only the same pinion on the chuck with each clamping, so the scroll will always shift the same way when I tighten it, and I keep the clamping forces light...in other words I don't reef the piss out of the chuck.
When I set the live center I turn on the lathe and then just advance the tailstock barrel until the center starts to rotate...squashing the snot out of the center makes the part inchworm as soon as you stick it out of the chuck much more than 5 diameters or so, so it becomes impossible to hold size and concentricity.

It sounds elaborate but it's mostly how you finesse the process details.
Speaking of which, I use a tool with a small nose radius and dead sharp with positive rake.
Inserts meant for aluminum work well...so does hand ground and stoned HSS.
Typical turning inserts for steel don't work for shit.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Reactions: pcd
I'm needing to turn 13 rods of delrin 13" long down to .770. I'm turning between centers with a live center at the tail end. I've indicated the tail stock to the head stock so that I'm getting a difference of .001-.0015 at the ends. My problem is that I'm getting a belly in the middle of +.005. I'm using HHS. I don't have a follower rest and I'm not sure if that would even work on delrin. Is there something else that I can do besides make a follower rest. My lathe is a Victor 1640 gap lathe. I've searched Ebay for that but haven't seen anything except followers that I would have to totally redo. Looking to buy if any available.
I made a tool that can do that with ease. First one I made was to turn 3/8 stainless to 1/8 in one pass. Worked great. I have made bigger ones since.
Google. Not a follow rest
Email me if you need help [email protected]
You could turn it 2 foot long without a center if you wanted to. If you lathe has bed long enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0811.png
    IMG_0811.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for your replies and suggestions. Looks like I'm making a follower rest with guides on the freshly turned side, but being delrin , I'm going to try using bearings. I know these have been made before in this shop as I have a delrin rod of .750 diameter but the machinist who made them is long gone. Turning these in sections is a bit much to ask of this old lathe. I am taking collections for a new one though.

Update
Well I did it without a follower rest. What I did was...I went from a1/2" HSS tool to 5/8" tool and ground and honed it to a sharp sharp sharp edge and a minimal nose. I raised it slightly higher than the dead center in the chuck. At dead center it caused too much vibration. I tried lowering it at first but it was worse. So I raised it until it ran smooth. I turned all 13 rods from .875 down to .770. What a trip! And no belly!

The toolmaker I used to work had a larger tool crib in his box than the machine shop. If your old machinist was like him he'd have personally owned a box tool and would have used it to make the part then put it back in his box. No one else would have known how he made it other than he made it, that's why he was well paid.

Back