What's new
What's new

Way oil - what is the magic of Vactra

PackardV8

Hot Rolled
Automotive machine shop, we've used Vactra #2 forever, but it's getting more expensive and more difficult to buy.

On our Storm-Vulcan crankshaft grinders, the ways only move a few inches and at hand-cranked low speeds. They do use misted aqueous coolant. Vactra makes much of how it won't mix with water, but the ways are well-protected. When refurbing the machines, if they've had any maintenance, there is little evidence of moisture in the ways.

Question, do any of you use any way oil othe than Vactra and if so why?

Interesting bit of trivia; the earlier machines have no provision for lubricating between the top and bottom tables, 5' long, so 11' of 1" wide mating surfaces top and bottom. The later machines cut a groove in the perimeter of the top table and a hand pressure oiler feeding it. We just separated the top and bottom table of an early machine and found traces of lubricant still on both surfaces. Not surprising as these two tables are pivoted in the middle and only move 1/4" when squaring the tables to the stone.

At a guess, in the more humid environments, flushing of lubricant is probably more necessary than in the dry intermountain west.

jack vines

I use Vactra (#2 and #4) but would not hesitate to use the way oil from any other large, reputable maker. "Joe's Bargain Oils" is not someplace I would care to buy my way oil.

Mobil Vacuoline 1409 is supposedly the original formulation of Vactra #2, although that's not stated in their documentation. Decades ago, Mobil changed the formulation of Vactra to work better with water-based coolants. Depending on who you ask, this was meh, OK, or a total disaster. The printing industry found the new formulation to be a total disaster, so Mobil reintroduced the original formulation under the Vacuoline product label to serve printing and other affected industries. Vacuoline 1405, 1409, and 1419 have the viscosities of Vactra #1, #2, and #4, respectively. There does not seem to be a Vacuoline viscosity equivalent to Vactra #3.

Last edited:
I use Sunoco 1180 Waylube and actually like it better than the Vactra #2 that I used previously. Purchased other Sunoco oils for use in my 10EE and they too have been great alternatives to the more expensive Mobil products. I purchased them from Petroleum Service Company in 5 gallon containers.

I use it for the "Tackyness" that makes it stick to the ways. Overnight the oil I used to use would run down with gravity and leave me with dry ways, until fresh oil made its way back to it.

I have some other brand that is the same stuff, but I got a deal on a drum. Normally would just buy 5 gal pails as needed.

I use a generic, unbranded, USA, part #RB 5046204. First 5gal bucket cost me $20 from a freight-salvage outfit! Next 1gal was just under $20. Haven't bought any for 3 or 4 years, just checked and it's 'not available' from the first google hits. It is every bit as good as Vactra but you don't pay for the name recognition.

edit: looks like these guys have gallons, but it's $36/gal

Last edited:
Just a side note on vactra from a hobbyist.
A lowly South Bend Lathe and it's been fed vactra for the 30 years I've had it in my basement shop. I saw it was producing gray residue in the oil on the ways. Looking at it, the gray can only be cast iron wear particles generation and I'm seeing wear on the V and the flat ways. And I oil the heck out of it. I added about 50% STP to the vactra which makes it stick much better. I haven't seen any cast iron grey residue in the 6-8 years since I started the STP regime.

In my CNC VMC's and turning centers, especially the ones with box ways.
I use Oemeta Novamet 910 semi synth water miscible coolant and Oemeta HYCUT SW68, which is a ISO68, similar to Vactra#2 slide way oil.

The Oemeta HYCUT SW68 slide way oil is based on their coolant oils.
So when the SW68 gets into your coolant system sump it does not contaminate it, or cause tramp oil formation in the sump.
Instead it just increases you coolant concentration, saving you money actually on coolant oil.

I have ran this for something like 10 years, never an issue.

I use EEZ Way Lube. Very reasonably priced.
EEZ Products literature states the 20w is equivalent to Vactra 2.

I've just about finished up a 5 ga. bucket of Chevron Way Oil. Works good but will tarnish machine ways for some reason. I don't run any coolant so I don't know how it would do. I would stay away from it IMO.

I don't think Vacuoline 1409 is the original Vactra 2. I believe there was a Mobil lubricant engineer that said as much at one of the machining sites at one point some time back. That wouldn't make any sense to me, as the Vacuoline is run in hydraulic systems. It's intended to be/marketed as a combination hydraulic/way oil. I think 1409 should be a fine substitute for the most part though.

That certainly is how Vacuoline is currently marketed, as a combo way lube and hydraulic oil. Do we have anybody on the forums from the printing industry that remembers the Vactra reformulation? Maybe Vacuoline was already a product at that time and it proved to be the best replacement for the original Vactra?

I've been using Schaeffers way oil for the past few years and have been very happy with it. It's tacky like Vacuoline and really cuts down on the stick/slip. No sludge in bottom of the bucket like Vactra either.

IMO, as long as you're using spindle oils in spindles and way oil in ways, following the manual for the what-where-when, and you're using a weight the same or very similar to what the manual states, the brand isn't as important. There certainly are differences in quality and additives, but there are so many variables at play in how two of the same machines having different amounts of wear, moving in different ways, for different amounts of time, different distances from the moon, and I think it's impossible to scientifically declare one brand or variant of an oil better than another, beyond the weights and general types (spindle, way, hydraulic, etc.). If you have any kind of warranty in play, use exactly what they tell you and let them sort out the aftermath, but otherwise use your best judgement and know that "your mileage may vary."

Just a side note on vactra from a hobbyist.
A lowly South Bend Lathe and it's been fed vactra for the 30 years I've had it in my basement shop. I saw it was producing gray residue in the oil on the ways. Looking at it, the gray can only be cast iron wear particles generation and I'm seeing wear on the V and the flat ways. And I oil the heck out of it. I added about 50% STP to the vactra which makes it stick much better. I haven't seen any cast iron grey residue in the 6-8 years since I started the STP regime.
Thanks for this input! I'm a home gamer (with a 16 x 54 pacemaker) where I've been using Wolfs Head 50 wt motor oil, because my dad had a case of this when he passed. There's also half a dozen cans of STP on the shelf and I've been wondering what to do with them. Now I know!

I bought this the last time I needed way oil, very satisfied with it. The price especially. The company shipped it fast and no problems.

I've been using the Shell Tonna way oils for all my machines. No problems. Though I did have to revert back to Vactra 1 for my lathe when they stopped selling the ISO 32 version in 5 gallon buckets. Sad.

Back