What's new
What's new

what tool do I need to remove pins in a connector?

I will bet dollars to donuts that he is planning to reuse the original pins.

I have done that myself in a pinch. Pry open the crimp and discard the wire stub. Insert new wire and solder. Then insure it is under the correct OD with a pair of flat jaw pliers and multiple squeezes as the pin/wire is rotated. They usually go back in with no trouble at that point.

What he really needs to be sure of is having proper strain relief. The lack of that is probably why he needs to repair this in the first place.

YUP ^^^
And I will add, don't bother making a tool, you need to order new pins anyways, so get the pins & the tool at the same time.

The thing about strain relief is you need to push the cable a bit further into the connector's shell than the shortest wire requires. That insures that ALL the wires have a bit of extra INSIDE the shell. Then you need to tighten the clamp enough to prevent any force (pull) on the cable from being felt at the pins.

The strain relief is there to hold the cable. The connection to the pins, crimp or solder, should never feel any of that stress.

I thought so, too. And that's a surprise. I would expect the factory crimps to be perfect. Perhaps someone has made a repair in the past?

Yup, and the "glob some solder on it" repair bodge didn't help the lifespan.
Like it or not, the connector failed in the past, no matter how tight you make the clamp.

"Standard pin size"??? I have worked my entire career in electronics and can tell you there is no standard pin size. Even connectors in the same series from the same manufacturer can have different size pins.

Just an example is those ever-popular DA, DB, DC, DD, and DE connectors. There are at least two sizes of plain pins for them and a number of others that include coaxial male and female inserts.

I get so disgusted with all the "electronic" advice from folks that MAY have seen something like what is being discussed that I usually don't even read the rest of the thread. The poor OP has no idea of the validity of any of the suggestions. I worked in the electronics world from 1950 to 1997 madeup and repaired those connectors by the thousands. :-)
...lewie...

Make very sure that when you put the pins back in (either new or reused) that they firmly click into place. I have seen a lot of instances on Molex connectors where the pins where not pushed in completely when the plug was assembled. Troubleshooting this problem can be difficult because if you look at the pins, they all look okay, but when you plug it in the pin that is not latched will be pushed back and make an intermittent connection. I always give the wires on this type of connector a good tug to make sure they are latched.

Back