What's new
What's new

Where do the amateurs post?

Like Cole said, just think about how you phrase your question and don't really throw out what machine it is unless it's really relevant. Even then, there's still good ways to go about crafting a discussion. You still have to separate the wheat from the chaff no matter what you post about. Even though there's a lot of grumpy old men, you'll still get better answers than most forums by people that usually have applicable experience.

I started a thread a year or so ago on amateur posting, the ideas were met with good reception but nothing was done.

I think some of the amateurs come up with some decent questions, and most of us would-be pros can come up with some amateurish questions.. so within reason and at the moderator's discretion non-PHD questions are not that big a problem.

OP has done what I wanted to do in 2019. I started buying components to build several small learning type CNC machines as a start to building some specialized smaller machines to be used in production. Soo many servos with drives, ballscrews, linear guides, HF spindles with drives. Yup, even 4 ATC 30 spindles. Centroid Acorn and Centroid Oak stuff too. Sitting on a few pallets of the stuff. Some of the AC servos would tip over the OPs machine if attached. Reality got in the way. Path of least resistance. Call Mazak rep, buy more machines. Rinse and repeat.

I think what pisses off a lot of folks here is when someone comes in saying "I'm an engineer so don't tell me I'm wrong", and "I'm going to build a steel and Ti cutting 5 axis mill accurate to a millionth of an inch on a $1000 budget, I just need a little help."

You coming in already having built a working machine is a whole different story.

Original concept included servos, a BT30 spindle with separate motor etc. But my wish list and the amount I was willing to spend on what would basically be an educational tool came into conflict. Actually first idea was an R8 spindle so I could use my BP tooling .. but I quickly realized that would be ridiculous on a machine this size.
My target during the design phase was a work area about x 8", y 6", z 6" with hopefully about .002" repeatability. I ended up 7" x 5" x 5" ... accuracy yet to be determined :)
First cuts should be in a week or so, I think I have a decent machine profile based on a small Tormach 3 axis with the pertinent properties modified to match this machines capabilities. I'll be using Fusion for CAM, thinking about getting a student subscription for SW ... as I have some experience using SW for CAD from a few years past. Using Universal Gcode Sender with the 32 bit grblHAL controller is working well so far.
If things work to my satisfaction I'll consider upgrades like going to larger 1" steel base instead of 6061 for the mass and some extra in the Y axis, ditching the cast iron table (it's got a bit too much milled off the bottom to clear ball screws etc.) and replacing it with drilled and tapped ground steel table. And .... eventually a different spindle arrangement that has more torque at lower rpms.

All up in the air at this point as I have no idea how it's going to perform. Worst case scenario .... I learned a lot and I start over.

Last edited:
I'm one of those sometimes despised hobby guys. But I lurked on here for a long time before joining, and I actually read the rules long before my first post. I can't recall not getting great answers or ever being made to feel unwelcome. Like others have said, sticking to the facts and leaving machine make / size out of it is pretty simple. And the PM forums have one thing few others do, well meant but even partially incorrect information gets disputed real quick. That trusted information source is worth a great deal to me.

Most of my career was in open pit mining, it's exactly like machine shops, full of crusty older guys that are the one's who keep things moving and do know the answers. And imo have earned that right to be crusty. Then after a few decades, I ended up being one of those bastards myself. Coming here with a thin skin, chip on your shoulder or know it all attitude as well as ignoring the rules gets you exactly the same as it would at any mine, construction site, or logging camp I've worked at. I have zero sympathy or patience for those types. Whatever job they actually do must operate a whole lot different than any I've been on in the last 50 yrs.

I'm not for or against having a separate hobby level forum. But what's here already works just fine if the rules get followed. That "hobby" forum would end up being for the one's who refuse to play by or ignore those rules. It might make the moderators job a bit easier though.

I find that just like life, a little humility goes a long way, more people should practice it. This hobbyist/amateur is beyond grateful for the help I have received over the years by the members of this forum.

I find that just like life, a little humility goes a long way, more people should practice it. This hobbyist/amateur is beyond grateful for the help I have received over the years by the members of this forum.
It’s just like when an apprentice is first put in your hands. The thing you look for more than anything is - have they got the right attitude ? If they have I can teach them all they need to know. If they haven’t got the right attitude I don’t care how smart they are, they are going to struggle.

The same applies to amateur engineers coming on here - if your attitude is right you’ll be ok. If it isn’t you’ll get found out.

Regards Tyrone.

I been here a while,and only ones Ive seen flamed are spammers .....and they dont care ,cause they got their 15c or whatever they get paid per spam.
Nope, the perpetual motion guys get short shrift and there's been a few of them.

And newbs who WON'T read the rules, post about bottom end POS machines then whine bitterly when their post gets locked - been a few of them too.

Other than those groups, if you ask politely and have done at least some homework, you'll get mostly civil and useful answers.

I've toyed with building a 'learning' CNC machine myself, in fact I've all the bits on hand. I just have too many other things going on. Maybe one of these days.

PDW

You are already doing nicer work than I do in my "pro" shop.
I would say carry on- if you get grumped at tell them to stuff it.
......adding what degree of interference fit you deem appropriate.

IF some of them put a shot over your bow, fire back broadside. There is a knack in diplomatic but direct response.
No where on Earth is being thin skinned the kind of admirable trait media depicts it as. As said above, the best queries stem in research, just picking random posts also productive. Use the common vocabulary, or as close you can, goes a long way trading questions for answers. There are unquestionably phenomenal contributors here, they're participating ideally for a broad audience.
That random content will also reveal the 50/50 identities without exposing yourself.

Last edited:
Also, frequently appended with "you are a wiener!" Can't forget that bit... :D
That little repartee is a good example how it works; just like a bunch of shop hands who would know and rib each other in person. WTF good is a bunch of stiffs trying to outdo each other?
No one, and I mean NO One has every possible reference, for every machine, any material, in every facility.

(Including at least 3 here with boundless knowledge, also understanding of variables, everything that makes such work demanding and rewarding. Won't mention any names, but nothing short of astounding......)

Back