What's new
What's new

which toolmakers ink is easiest to remove

rimcanyon

Diamond
I use Crown toolmakers ink when grinding seats, it works well. Only issue I have is that it is hard to remove. Requires lacquer thinner and stays in the cracks. So is there a water soluble toolmakers ink that would be easy to remove, just hose off?

I recall John Stevenson, god rest him, saying he used a felt tip pen because "I don't get a blue hampton when I go for a jimmy riddle" -- in case you also have that problem.

I recall John Stevenson, god rest him, saying he used a felt tip pen because "I don't get a blue hampton when I go for a jimmy riddle" -- in case you also have that problem.
"Jimmy riddle" - OK, got that. But "blue hampton" - the meaning is pretty clear from the context, and experience, but I haven't come across the expression before.

-Marty-

I'm just a noob with only 45 years in the biz. What's these two terms of art mean?
I had to have a hint the first time round because it was just all greek to me. When someone kindly pointed out that "jimmy riddle" is the Cockney rhyming slang for "piddle" I could finally put it together. In other words, the engineer's blue that stains your hands also rubs off on everything else. If your girlfriend knows nothing about machining you might have some explaining to do.

For the girls in the trade, I don't know what to say, you'll have to speak for yourselves.

Back