What's new
What's new

WTB K&T #2 or #3 horizontal milling machine

The add for this one says Bridgeport but it's not, It's a K&T Universal. If you look closely at the tooling cabinet, it looks like the yoke for the dividing head change gears might be in there. It's a bit far but I think it matches what you're looking for.

HAve you seen this one?
Yes, chatted with them this evening, they are providing more pics in the morning. I noticed that the end casting on the left hand side of the table is broken off. I am curious if you can find a used or replacement for that?

The add for this one says Bridgeport but it's not, It's a K&T Universal. If you look closely at the tooling cabinet, it looks like the yoke for the dividing head change gears might be in there. It's a bit far but I think it matches what you're looking for.

Looks a bit rough, a bunch or parts dangling or broken off. Looks like a large shaper vise on the table. I will send them a message. You are right about 8 hours away.

Looks a bit rough, a bunch or parts dangling or broken off. Looks like a large shaper vise on the table. I will send them a message. You are right about 8 hours away.
These machines are all 80+ years old so they all have their own personality. In my opinion, the best indicator of how well the machine has been cared for over the years (No how many hours it's been used) is the condition of the table. If the table is clean after 80 years, the owners pretty clearly cared about it. It's pretty easy to run a tool into the table.

These machines are all 80+ years old so they all have their own personality. In my opinion, the best indicator of how well the machine has been cared for over the years (No how many hours it's been used) is the condition of the table. If the table is clean after 80 years, the owners pretty clearly cared about it. It's pretty easy to run a tool into the table.
Understand you on the age of these machines and having realistic expectations about their condition. They got back to me and there is no dividing head or drivetrain with that machine.

Yes, chatted with them this evening, they are providing more pics in the morning. I noticed that the end casting on the left hand side of the table is broken off. I am curious if you can find a used or replacement for that?
There is a company in Ohio called Parts N' Parts that sell Kearney and Trecker, and Cincinnati parts. I have bought from them in the past. Check them out if you need some things when you get a K&T.
I have a 2H universal and 3CK K&T machines and they are great. My 2H has a ton of wear and a damaged gear in the gearbox but it still squares up the edges of blocks nice!

There is a company in Ohio called Parts N' Parts that sell Kearney and Trecker, and Cincinnati parts. I have bought from them in the past. Check them out if you need some things when you get a K&T.
I have a 2H universal and 3CK K&T machines and they are great. My 2H has a ton of wear and a damaged gear in the gearbox but it still squares up the edges of blocks nice!
What!!! I've driven past Blue Lick road for near 20 years and there is a Machinery Parts dealer there!

Wow, I'll have to make a stop next I go that way.

I've dealt with JR at Parts 'N Parts, as well as Hugh at Hughs Machinery, and Ron Grundy, when it comes to K&T parts!!! They're all really fine people and an absolute wealth of knowledge!!!! There's actually quite a few parts available, since these were usually wartime production and a bunch were made. I'm up to my neck in a 2K Vertical that I just bought right now, and the advise from the 3 mentioned above, along with Youtube videos from a few different sources have been priceless!!!
Good luck with your search!!
John

JR was great to deal with and said he had 7 buildings there all filled with parts. At the time, about 9 years ago, they weren't taking credit cars and I had to do a whole send a check certified mail thing which wasn't fun. I assume they can process credit cards now I hope.

Also the prices were staggering. Think eBay+ level and the condition is all over the place. I never did buy the generic X axis crank handle as it was $300. At the time I think he was supplying parts to people still using the machines in normal business. Not sure other than niche people or foreign countries who are still using these as primary money makers to justify those prices but I guess he knows his markets so ok.

Folks I may have a lead on a K&T 310 No 3 10HP TF series horizontal mill serial number 15-8359. It is the universal model and has a dividing head and gears. Anyone have any thoughts on this mill compared to the older models? Any links to parts or user manuals. I would imagine this machine weights quite a bit as well.

Thanks,

--sean

Attachments

• Image 5.png
    Image 5.png
    564.8 KB · Views: 25
It doesn't matter now as someone else snapped it up while I was trying to source a rigger to put in on my trailer. Could have gotten it for $2800. I need a rigger on standby or buy a roll back or small crane truck....

I need a rigger on standby or buy a roll back or small crane truck....
Nah, you just have to show up and put money in their hand and get a bill of sale. Then it's yours and you work out moving it. It's not like they are going to be able to walk away with it. They will bitch and moan but there is no casually moving one of those so it's not going anywhere.

You’ll be hard pressed to find another tricked out mill like that “IF” it had all the gears to make the Low Lead work. The (3) sets of worms/wheels are almost impossible to find now. I watched three 2K mills with all the fixings sell at the Timken auction in Indianapolis last year for $8k by the time it was put on the trailer. One machine went cheaper ($4k) because they didn’t have the pictures of the LL and all the gears but they were in the cabinet.

The TF series are similar to the CH but the TF have double screws in the knee for elevation.

Back