What's new
What's new

Machinery's Handbook - Is there a better general reference?

Hi everybody!

First timer here :)

I've got a small request before I commit to the "Handbook for the Metalworking Industries" purchase - could somebody provide a couple of random pages so I could better assess the contents? I can't find it on th web and the only source is AbeBooks I suppose.

I'm interested in metric info exclusively, tooling design, steel constructions.
I was just on Amazon and they have it for $53.00. Delivery by Friday.

Last edited:
This topic has come up from time to time here on PM. In one of those past disscussions someone mentioned "Mechanical and Metal Trades Handbook" by Europa-Lehrmittel. My copy is the 4th edition 'English' version.
https://www.europa-lehrmittel.de/Mechanical-and-Metal-Trades-Handbook/1910X-4 I think I paid something like $40 for my copy a few years ago. I like it a lot. As a general book it is quite good but not as a reference for Imperial units and standards. It does, of course, list Morse tapers but in metric units. Being German it is heavily DIN and metric oriented. It is also more clearly written and well laid out than MHB. Very good illustrations. I think yuou can download the first chapter in PDF from their website. They also publish a wide range of other technical books and training materials.

Kempes Engineers Yearbook is also very interesting. They stopped publishing sometime in the 200Xs I think. The 1989 volume 1 is available here: https://archive.org/details/kempesengineersy0001unse_m2z6/page/n317/mode/2up You can read the whole thing, an hour at a time, with a free membership. Definitely an interesting publication. Very UK oriented.

Another one is Tool Engineers Handbook. Has al little of every thing in it. Don't know if there is an updated one.

Attachments

• 20211108_152136 (1).jpg
    20211108_152136 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
While I have three copies of Machinery's Handbook, two printed and one digital, and I use them often, I do find things that they lack.

Recently I purchased a copy of Engineers Black Book. It comes in Inch and Metric versions but the Inch version has included metric numbers in most of the tables where it makes sense to do so. One particularly nice pair of pages that face each other when open is the actual size chart of gear teeth sizes, one DP and the other Module. They are arranged so that the closest sizes of each type are side by side on the two pages. This provides not only a handy way of checking on the pitch of the gear teeth, but also a back and forth reference between the two series of pitches. Mind you, this is not to say that there is an exact equivalence between the similar sizes: they are only close, not exactly equal. It also has a number of practical shop types of information like drill bit geometry for various materials and lathe tool geometry.

I like the Engineers Black Book and keep it handy in the shop. But it also has some shortcomings, like MH. One of those shortcomings that I find is strange that no one has bothered to put together in one table is the information needed for screw holes. By "all" the information I mean things like coarse and fine tap sizes, tap drill size for both, loose and tight clearance hole sizes, counterbore diameter and depth, countersink diameter at surface, etc. EVERYTHING needed to draw and make a screw hole. Oh, and English and metric, of course. No one has all that in one chart. NO ONE! I have begun making my own: it is a work in progress.

Back