What's new
What's new

2007 Mori Seiki NMV5000DCG network setup

jdoxen

Plastic
Hello everyone, just joined but I've been here plenty of times for answers. My company recently purchased a used 2007 Mori-Seiki NMV5000DCG 5-axis mill with MAPPSIII frontend and FANUC 31i underlying control, and we're struggling to get it to connect to our network. DMG Mori is of no help (consistent with everything I've heard about them secondhand) and there is hardly any information on Mori machines available online, let alone ones this old. The only documentation that came with the machine is a phone book-sized user manual that only really covers programming in the machine control.

So far, I have managed to get the FANUC box to connect to our network and ping a temporary FTP server I set up on my office PC by following this PDF: https://www.cnc1.com/hubfs/fanuc-library/Fanuc_30i_Ethernet_Settings.pdf. However, the MAPPS frontend doesn't see anything. It doesn't help that anytime you change the network settings you have to power cycle the machine, which takes several minutes. As far as I can tell, the MAPPS front panel isn't connected directly to the network, but an ethernet port on the 31i. A different port on the 31i then receives the outside connection. This is how it was setup when it arrived, so I have to assume it's the correct configuration. However I don't know how to configure the control panel to go "through" the FANUC to interface with the company network. Any chance somebody out there has done this before? This thing has me thoroughly stumped.

A quick update:
The cable that runs inside the machine from the FANUC controller to the inside of the front panel seems to be jacked up. If I open the back of the control panel there is an ethernet port inside, and connecting that directly to the network switch allows me to see a Windows file share. However, this is a less than ideal solution because it doesn't utilize the storage in the FANUC box, which is considerably larger than the memory in the Mori frontend. So I'm still looking for a solution to get the front panel to talk to the FANUC controller.

I have a couple of NMV's that are connected to our network. I do not use the Ethernet ports on the yellow Fanuc data server. There is a separate ethernet socket labeled 'NET' that is on a stand alone panel along with a serial connector labeled 'RS232C'. That ethernet socket is what I use to access the NC Memory and the User area. I use a program called MORI-SERVER to push and pull programs from a PC to the machine. It came free with the machines so you may be able to get hold of a copy or you may even have a CD with the manuals. An alternate to that is Fanuc's Program Transfer Tool which you can get from Fanuc for about $20. However, I think both of these are just dressed up FTP server software.

We do not try to access the network from the machine control. If you are wanting to go that route you can use the Data Server and there are Fanuc manuals on how to set that up that you can find online.

Back