What's new
What's new

98 Haas VF-2 wont boot vector drive fault, MOCON & processor halt lights.

I looked at the processor board with an inspection microscope today. Board was very dirty on (bottom) fan side of components. Cleaned board as best I could. Some of it looked like black plastic stuck to the chips and pins but I didn't get a good picture of it. Some looked like standard machine shop grime I guess. I also verified that there is battery voltage going to my 2 BBU RAM chips. Should I go ahead and do a BBU RAM reset or try C40 replacement first. It almost seems like I have serial com trouble since I couldn't type in monitor mode and now I can, and when I disconnect the SKBIF board the program light goes on solid (normal). Let me know what you think. Thanks.

20181017_084536.jpg20181017_084544.jpg20181017_085240.jpg

I finally got up enough nerve to clear the BBU RAM and this is what I get (see pic). I was told that either my RAM chips have failed or the PAL chip. I think I am going to go ahead and buy a used processor instead of sending this one for repair.

20181020_115923.jpg

Hey D... Been heads down on this end and I think you are making the right choice in getting a replacement board. I sure wish we could have ended up with a less expensive option for ya, but as our knowledge grows on the forum w/ others, maybe we can get this thing fixed someplace down the road. On a positive side, going from 256K bbu ram to 1Mg replacement board is a nice bump! if you ever want to put a Probing system on, you absolutely can.

Here are those two links I noted for ya.
Highland DNC, LLC.

Lubrication Systems, Showa, Bijur, Vogel, Trabon, Daikin, Tuthill, Chen Ying, Alemite, Daido - Call Toll Free (800) 323-3826 (all things oil. great guys to deal w/). You can get the flow restriction units from these guys).

I finally got up enough nerve to clear the BBU RAM and this is what I get (see pic). I was told that either my RAM chips have failed or the PAL chip. I think I am going to go ahead and buy a used processor instead of sending this one for repair.

View attachment 240602

I received my new/used processor. I was told this board came from a running machine that the transmission went out of. The first thing I noticed was a resistor soldered to one of the serial com chips (see pic). The heat sink also had a warranty sticker on it from the same place the board shipped from. So I installed the board and all I get is the usual beep and a flashing box in the middle of the screen with a row of dots across the top. Try to boot into monitor mode and get the same result. Now I get angry, this board is worse than mine, at least mine would boot into monitor mode. My first thought was that they cleared the memory if they repaired it so I decide to swap the PROM chips. When I did this I get an entire screen of dollar sign looking weird symbols. So I swap the chips back and I also cycle the 2 switches on the board. I put it back in and it boots up fine. So I'm not sure what "fixed" it or if is will happen again but I cycled power a few times and it booted up fine every time. Now I am ready to reload the RAM with my parameters and manually adjust the spindle orientation and tool change height. Any advice or comments are welcome. Thanks again for all the help.

20181028_105627.jpg

The board doesn’t have any software and even if it did, it has to be compatible software for your machine and other boards. Send me all 3 of your original boards (video, Processor and mocon boards) I can Repair the bad board, video it running in my machine. Then Haas has to install/ reload your software and your back up and running. We warranty our repairs for 12 months.

Hi All. I recently picked up a VF5 and it started up, did the power up/restart routine, etc. But I also got memory errors, crc errors, etc. So I replaced the battery. Which I have done before without a hitch on my other Haas several times (I have had it for 20 years). This time during boot up it gives me a system error and stops the boot up process without populating the Haas model number in the start display. Fine. I start the Haas and hold down the Program/Convers key putting me in what folks call the DOS screen or what I consider an ODT screen. It gives me:

Warning - Low Battery Voltage (but the new battery gives 3.3volts or more
Haas G68EC030 Monitor 8th may 2003 Rev 39.13
Serial rate is 9600
Flash memory found 3072K @ 00080000
BBU RAM found 16384K
68882 co processor found

I confess I did try the M 6000000 60FFFFF and when I do this everything just hangs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

it sounds like you may have lost your memory, was the machine powered on when you replaced your battery?

I have seen posts (and re-posts here in PM) a Haas process to enter a mode where you enter DEBUG or something like that- And then go thru a few onscreen Q's to achieve a reload of the memory via on-screen prompts. IT will then reload the memory from the PROM. (my understanding). BUT.... you will need to reload all your parm files post reload or it's just a box w/ stock memory VFx loads from prom and no real operational parm setups (mmore or lesS)

Hey Hoss... what's the proper term for the reload mode I describe above? IF I recall it'll ask for the model "VFx" and then reloads the memory? HEck.. I know it works cause I did it. But never knew what it's called?

it sounds like you may have lost your memory, was the machine powered on when you replaced your battery?

Hi Countryguy:
Thanks for the reply. My machine is a 2001 (the monitor was somehow updated in 2003). I just called Haas and they told me a service rep has to come in. Right now though I don't even know if there are other issues with the processor, mocon, or IO board. I think the DEBUG thing only works with machines after 2005 or so.
There is s monitor (in my DEC PDP days we called this ODT - Online debug terminal) mode and there appears to be letter commands to load data files. F and G letter codes seem to initiate XModem file transfer process. I just don't know where they put this stuff in memory.
I don't know the address space to clear the BBU memory - I can probably figure it out if there was any data on this somewhere, but Haas wants me to call my local HFO. I just want to know a few things before I make that investment!

Thanks again.

Hi Hoss,
I have the older Haas setup (2001) so there is a stack of three PCBs on top of each other. With the battery backup attached to the deepest board in the stack, I didn't feel comfortable leaving things powered up and swapping batteries. I thought I had the thing under constant battery power but must have screwed up something.
I can actually remove all PCBs except the processor and when I meter across the original battery pads I read 3.4 vdc with the new battery. (And machine power off)

What I really need is ANY documentation on the monitor (the 68EC030 if I recall properly). You access this by holding down the PRGRM/CONVRS key during power up.

the processor either needs to be on during a battery swapped especially if you have a battery back up unit . or with the power off you normally use a jumper on the plug above while replacing the battery. if for 1 instance you interrupt that power, you will loose everything!!

OK. All resolved and everything is working. I have a 2001 Haas VF5XT Here are the steps I did (as well as I can remember) to get to where I needed to be. I list them here just to try and help someone else who has run into a brick wall. That said, do your homework - some variation of all of this will have to be done by the Haas tech. Frankly doing this worked out well for me and when the Haas tech left I felt like my machine was perfect.
1) Originally on turning on the VF5 I would get to the HAAS screen, it would find the languages, and the freeze with "System Error" on the bottom.
2) I called HFO local to schedule an appointment, which considering I bought the machine used, they took right in stride. Thank you HFO!
3) Before they got here I decided what the heck and took out the bottom processor board.
a) I removed the two batteries, cleaned up the contact points, and ordered
i) Battery holder clips 5PCS Battery Holder Case Box Clip For CR123 CR123A Lithium Battery: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
ii) Batteries Amazon.com: 4 x Duracell DL123A Ultra Lithium Batteries (CR123A): Home Audio & Theater
iii) CR123A is as far as I can tell identical to the BR2/3A
b) I snapped in the batteries and remounted the boards
c) On power up this time it got to the Alarms screen! Yay!
i) I don't think I did the PRGM/CONVS power up and M 60000000 6FFFFFFF but I cant remember right now.
ii) On startup the model number was blank and the serial number was a 1333350005 ten digit random thing.
d) What did find was that the position of the E-Stop button was absolutely crucial as to what would happen at a given time
e) At this time I followed instructions posted elsewhere (Haastech I think was the guy's moniker) and
i) with the estop button in,
ii) I searched for parameter 7 in settings and right arrowed to unlock settings
iii) I pressed the ALARM button
iv) I typed DEBUG <enter> (once this was done, 4 "N's" appeared above the DEBUG, almost looking like a control glitch)
v) I typed VF5XT <enter>
vi) When nothing seemed to happen I waited 10 seconds or so and then powered the machine off and then powered it back up.
vii) At this time the model of the machine was filled in and I still had errors up the wazoo.
d) The next thing was to enter the serial number. Again I found help elsewhere on the web (Trying to attribute this to Haastec and Getrdun)
i) With ESTOP button pushed in, I went to setting 7 (unlock settings) again and turned it off
ii) I went to the ALARMS page and typed DEBUG <enter>
iii) I went to the Position screen and pressed Page until I saw Raw DATA in upper left
iv) I typed CL 13000708 0 and <enter>
v) I checked setting 26 for the serial number and it was zero! Yay! (Seriously, I was shocked this worked.)
vi) I then turned debug mode off (go to ALARMS, type DEBUG <enter> and the NNN's should disappear )
vii) Then I went to parameter 26 in settings and entered my serial number (just the number, no leading zeros or anything).
viii) the number updated and I turned everything off and then on again.
viv) everything on the initial haas screen came up with model and serial now properly populated.
e) The next thing was to upload the parameter settings for the machine. The problem here is that the floppy was an option code item and could not be used. serial port was only route!
i) Confirm serial port settings on the Haas control. I set mine to 9600 baud, 8 word bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.
ii) I set the file transfer protocol to Xmodem.
iii) I broke out an ancient laptop (running XP) that had a serial port on it.
iv) I made a cable from the top haas DB25 connector to my 9 pin laptop connector
1) the cable male DB25 went to a female DB9. pin 2 goes to pin 2, pin 3 goes to pin 3, and pin 7 on the DB25 goes to pin 5 on the DB9
v) I started up hyperterminal and did a direct connect to com1 with baud, word, stop and parity set equal to what I had set on the Haas,
vi) I set the laptop to upload via Xmodem the parameter file I had saved
vii) I went to parameter 7 and unlocked the settings
viii) I went to LIST PROGRAMS
viv) Iwent back to PARAMETERS
vv) I typed the name of my parameter file (often machine serial number followed by .PAR - eg 12345.PAR)
vvi) I hit the Receive RS232 button
vvii) I confess it took about 10 tries to get this to work, but pay attention to the hyperterm status and if its working it will actually give you a progress bar.
1) Try with the estop in and out separately. I just cant remember what I did that worked 100%. I dont think I was in DEBUG but I might have been.
f) The other stuff...
i) You will need to unlock the options. My machine had 3 - spindle orientation, rigid tapping, and floppy.
ii) Sometimes the service techs will write the unlock codes on the configuration sheet in the electronics enclosure
iii) You will need to set spindle orientation if your PAR file was not current
iv) you might need to set the pick point of the tool changer. Parameter 64. In my case I was switching to CAT40 from BT40 so the height was different.
v) Once you have everything up, this is a great time to save your parameter file to disk or USB... maybe under a new name!

It took a fair amount of shovel work around the web. And this worked for my classic control machine. This may not work for you and my write-up may have errors in it. Only reload a PAR file from your own machine! Trying to load a file taken from another machine even if very similar seems like buying trouble.

Helpful search terms were "Haas BBU", "Haas PAR restore", "Haas serial number" etc.

OK. All resolved and everything is working. I have a 2001 Haas VF5XT Here are the steps I did (as well as I can remember) to get to where I needed to be. I list them here just to try and help someone else who has run into a brick wall. That said, do your homework - some variation of all of this will have to be done by the Haas tech. Frankly doing this worked out well for me and when the Haas tech left I felt like my machine was perfect.
1) Originally on turning on the VF5 I would get to the HAAS screen, it would find the languages, and the freeze with "System Error" on the bottom.
2) I called HFO local to schedule an appointment, which considering I bought the machine used, they took right in stride. Thank you HFO!
3) Before they got here I decided what the heck and took out the bottom processor board.
a) I removed the two batteries, cleaned up the contact points, and ordered
i) Battery holder clips 5PCS Battery Holder Case Box Clip For CR123 CR123A Lithium Battery: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
ii) Batteries Amazon.com: 4 x Duracell DL123A Ultra Lithium Batteries (CR123A): Home Audio & Theater
iii) CR123A is as far as I can tell identical to the BR2/3A
b) I snapped in the batteries and remounted the boards
c) On power up this time it got to the Alarms screen! Yay!
i) I don't think I did the PRGM/CONVS power up and M 60000000 6FFFFFFF but I cant remember right now.
ii) On startup the model number was blank and the serial number was a 1333350005 ten digit random thing.
d) What did find was that the position of the E-Stop button was absolutely crucial as to what would happen at a given time
e) At this time I followed instructions posted elsewhere (Haastech I think was the guy's moniker) and
i) with the estop button in,
ii) I searched for parameter 7 in settings and right arrowed to unlock settings
iii) I pressed the ALARM button
iv) I typed DEBUG <enter> (once this was done, 4 "N's" appeared above the DEBUG, almost looking like a control glitch)
v) I typed VF5XT <enter>
vi) When nothing seemed to happen I waited 10 seconds or so and then powered the machine off and then powered it back up.
vii) At this time the model of the machine was filled in and I still had errors up the wazoo.
d) The next thing was to enter the serial number. Again I found help elsewhere on the web (Trying to attribute this to Haastec and Getrdun)
i) With ESTOP button pushed in, I went to setting 7 (unlock settings) again and turned it off
ii) I went to the ALARMS page and typed DEBUG <enter>
iii) I went to the Position screen and pressed Page until I saw Raw DATA in upper left
iv) I typed CL 13000708 0 and <enter>
v) I checked setting 26 for the serial number and it was zero! Yay! (Seriously, I was shocked this worked.)
vi) I then turned debug mode off (go to ALARMS, type DEBUG <enter> and the NNN's should disappear )
vii) Then I went to parameter 26 in settings and entered my serial number (just the number, no leading zeros or anything).
viii) the number updated and I turned everything off and then on again.
viv) everything on the initial haas screen came up with model and serial now properly populated.
e) The next thing was to upload the parameter settings for the machine. The problem here is that the floppy was an option code item and could not be used. serial port was only route!
i) Confirm serial port settings on the Haas control. I set mine to 9600 baud, 8 word bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity.
ii) I set the file transfer protocol to Xmodem.
iii) I broke out an ancient laptop (running XP) that had a serial port on it.
iv) I made a cable from the top haas DB25 connector to my 9 pin laptop connector
1) the cable male DB25 went to a female DB9. pin 2 goes to pin 2, pin 3 goes to pin 3, and pin 7 on the DB25 goes to pin 5 on the DB9
v) I started up hyperterminal and did a direct connect to com1 with baud, word, stop and parity set equal to what I had set on the Haas,
vi) I set the laptop to upload via Xmodem the parameter file I had saved
vii) I went to parameter 7 and unlocked the settings
viii) I went to LIST PROGRAMS
viv) Iwent back to PARAMETERS
vv) I typed the name of my parameter file (often machine serial number followed by .PAR - eg 12345.PAR)
vvi) I hit the Receive RS232 button
vvii) I confess it took about 10 tries to get this to work, but pay attention to the hyperterm status and if its working it will actually give you a progress bar.
1) Try with the estop in and out separately. I just cant remember what I did that worked 100%. I dont think I was in DEBUG but I might have been.
f) The other stuff...
i) You will need to unlock the options. My machine had 3 - spindle orientation, rigid tapping, and floppy.
ii) Sometimes the service techs will write the unlock codes on the configuration sheet in the electronics enclosure
iii) You will need to set spindle orientation if your PAR file was not current
iv) you might need to set the pick point of the tool changer. Parameter 64. In my case I was switching to CAT40 from BT40 so the height was different.
v) Once you have everything up, this is a great time to save your parameter file to disk or USB... maybe under a new name!

It took a fair amount of shovel work around the web. And this worked for my classic control machine. This may not work for you and my write-up may have errors in it. Only reload a PAR file from your own machine! Trying to load a file taken from another machine even if very similar seems like buying trouble.

Helpful search terms were "Haas BBU", "Haas PAR restore", "Haas serial number" etc.

I have this task in my not so distant future as I recently bought a '99 VF-0E with a few problems, including amnesia.

Machine still at the riggers place. Waiting on dry yard and other planets to align. But will be posting my questions and finding here.
Your post gives me hope. Although I already know there are no provided parameters.

Thank you for your in depth post!

Awesome stuff! yeah, it's out there.. but you need to dig. TY for the post on Amazon the batts. I just ordered 2 for myself. Something I need to do b4 it gets the best of me. again, awesome post. CG.

Checked out the link for the battery holders myself and inadvertently noticed something odd.
If a person posts his link from amazon. Like this -----> AMAZON: Haas Vector Drive
then the forum automatically attaches an affiliate id "tag=practforum-20" to the end of the link.

Unless the "-20" at the end is actually a 20% discount for people coming from this forum????
That would be great!

One more piece of the puzzle... so I start to plug in coolant positions and the coolant nozzle runs from one extreme to another. I press coolant up and the nozzle goes all the way up. I press coolant down and it goes all the way down... after a few presses. Checked the hardware... it was pristine. And then I remembered I reloaded the parameters. So on my 20 year old VF5 with the older coolant nozzle the defaults were fine for
206 Spigot positions 10
207 Spigot timeout 2000.
612 Type 0
But everything else was zero. SO I kind of arbitrarily stuffed in 120 (milliseconds) in the timing delay stuff. BTW, type is pretty neat. You can double the resolution of the coolant nozzle (I think) by changing the type to 1 (giving you 20 positions). In this mode it counts BOTH the switch open and switch closed events instead of just the switch closed ones. But that is another story.
253 Delay swtch fwd 120
304 Delay swtch rev 120
613 Mtr forward delay 120
614 Mtr rev delay 120

Of course when updating these values go to setting 7 and unlock parameter changes! EStop button should be pushed in.

Once updated... presto... the coolant nozzle behaves.

BBU-RAM error - Haas 'Basic OS' - Bricked - Command Prompt

Hi All. I recently picked up a VF5 and it started up, did the power up/restart routine, etc. But I also got memory errors, crc errors, etc. So I replaced the battery. Which I have done before without a hitch on my other Haas several times (I have had it for 20 years). This time during boot up it gives me a system error and stops the boot up process without populating the Haas model number in the start display. Fine. I start the Haas and hold down the Program/Convers key putting me in what folks call the DOS screen or what I consider an ODT screen. It gives me:

Warning - Low Battery Voltage (but the new battery gives 3.3volts or more
Haas G68EC030 Monitor 8th may 2003 Rev 39.13
Serial rate is 9600
Flash memory found 3072K @ 00080000
BBU RAM found 16384K
68882 co processor found

I confess I did try the M 6000000 60FFFFF and when I do this everything just hangs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey OTBox,

Did you ever get past this error? This is currently where we are at on a CPU board that we pulled from a parts machine. We temporarily put it in the machine while our CPU board is being repaired. So not expecting much. ...and not getting much. But would be nice to have a working backup.

Do you think you 'bricked' the CPU board by initially entering the "M 6000000 60FFFFF"?
Also seeking any help regarding this task. Like anyone know if there is there a list of commands for this 'Basic OS' prompt screen?

This particular board doesn't boot to the Haas screen. So there is no going in and changing parameters etc.
Only initially boots to some weird looking memory address at the top line and does nothing.
We are able to hold [PRGM]+[ON] and get it to the 'basic OS' (dos prompt) screen though. Just can't get it to successfully complete the BBU-RAM erase.

Here is the error I'm getting...
error.jpg

JW

I'll add a bit more color also- worked w/ these guys a bit. Super fella's.

when you turn on the haas it just boots to "3000366 004" in the display.
You can boot to BIOS and execute the M clear command-
Flash Clear (FC) worked fine.
The issue is a memory error on any address attempted. I attempted to break down the BBU memory into 256K blocks to try a clear. No matter where I check in the lower range, an M command issues a memory error. (as he had in the picture).

My conclusion is some type of bitwalk memory test is not going to let this boot. That a memory clear and subsequent clear test fails (as showin the pic too).

Next step is probably to do the 'field' repair of the BBU RAM. Some have vid's on upgrading the BBU rams. (the brave souls! :-)
The board is contaminated w/ some really sticky goo... I advised a clean out and blow out. Ultrasonic cleaners were used in my past, but alcohol possibly in the bad areas? Not certain the BBU RAM is even running right.

The goal was to get to debug and issue a 'vf0' reload from flash.

Hey OTBox,

Did you ever get past this error? This is currently where we are at on a CPU board that we pulled from a parts machine. We temporarily put it in the machine while our CPU board is being repaired. So not expecting much. ...and not getting much. But would be nice to have a working backup.

Do you think you 'bricked' the CPU board by initially entering the "M 6000000 60FFFFF"?
Also seeking any help regarding this task. Like anyone know if there is there a list of commands for this 'Basic OS' prompt screen?

This particular board doesn't boot to the Haas screen. So there is no going in and changing parameters etc.
Only initially boots to some weird looking memory address at the top line and does nothing.
We are able to hold [PRGM]+[ON] and get it to the 'basic OS' (dos prompt) screen though. Just can't get it to successfully complete the BBU-RAM erase.

Here is the error I'm getting...
View attachment 349274

JW

I thought I'll post here than making another thread, as I'm pretty sure I've got a similar problem.

About 6 months ago, the machine (Haas VF2 2000) has been running parts and everything was great. Then one day, the controller would randomly slow down, freeze and eventuality locked up at random points which resulted in rebooting the machine. It got so bad that I couldn't finish a homing cycle when powering on. Eventuality it failed to reboot and producing a line of code in the top left hand corner '020FF7FA 00FF'. I believe this is a error is a address in which it cannot be found.

The job at the time had to moved onto a different machine and the Haas was left untouched till had some time getting around looking into it further.

So today I had some free time and started looking into things a bit more further. I've checked the BBU-RAM Battery (Reading 3.05V) and Checked the Low PSU to the boards. They seem fine.
I booted it up with the Prog. button hold down, to get into BASIC OS and performed a soft BBU-RAM Clear with the following command, 'M 3000D6C 300FFFF'

It was unable to soft clear the BBU-RAM with a 'BUSS ERROR', as you can see below.

I think one of the RAM chips is bad. In the past there has been a couple of corruptions in the programs, which I had to format. And I'm wondering if the failing to boot is a result of RAM failure.

The RAM on my processor board are Samsung KM684000BLG-7L

I'll research into this further and if I find anything I'll share on this thread.

IMG_8673.jpg

Back