What's new
What's new

ACU-RITE DISPLAY ISSUE

DrHook

Hot Rolled
So here I am, happily cleaning and checking alignment on my vise on the manual mill, when I look up and see this... swapping the cables doesn't change a thing, so I'm pretty sure it's the controller. Re-booting doesn't change anything, and I haven't noticed any unusual power surges or anything like that. Has anyone else had this happen with an outcome other than "order a new one ASAP"? Thanks!
DRO.jpg

I have that exact unit. The display on mine got flaky many years ago. I sent it in for repair, they did it quickly for reasonable cost. made a customer for life out of me. I buy no other brand.

I bought a used Bridgeport a few years ago that has a DRO like that. It wasn't working right. I took it apart and unseated the ribbon cables between the board and the keypad and cleaned the connection points out with alcohol, it's been working fine ever since.

The controller is not the issue. The segment driving circuit is.
Only one disconnected segment connection will cause weird effects.
Get inside the box and clean connections.

If you have any questions about the parts inside I may be able to identify some of them.
Designed & built a few seven segment displays.

Last edited:
The controller is not the issue. The segment driving circuit is.
Only one disconnected segment connection will cause weird effects.
Get inside the box and clean connections.

If you have any questions about the parts inside I may be able to identify some of them.
Designed & built a few seven segment displays.
I opened it up and used rubbing alcohol to clean the pins where the ribbons go. Cleaned all mounting points and made sure all the screws are tight. I didn't see anything that appeared amiss on the boards. All back together, same issue.

I opened it up and used rubbing alcohol to clean the pins where the ribbons go. Cleaned all mounting points and made sure all the screws are tight. I didn't see anything that appeared amiss on the boards. All back together, same issue.
Take a picture to identify components.

I have have the same unit on the lathe- periodically it will have display issues, or refuse to accept an input. The fix is is to pull out the ribbon cables and clean the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, and plug and pull the ribbon a few times to get any oxidization off the connectors.

If you can pull the board out and spry it down with electrical contact cleaner and then blow it down with dry compresses air that might help. This works for me 50% of the time.

Back