What's new
What's new

Another Great Pakistani youtube

Interesting how some people get around the stigma of drinking early in the day. They drink such things as Mimosas and Bloody Marys. Let a workingman be seen having a beer with breakfast and he is held up as low-brow or similar.

Years ago, I was retained to be an expert witness at a trial in Federal District Court in Casper, Wyoming as well as to act as a consulting engineer for a couple of other Wyoming attorneys on some machinery-related cases. The attorneys pooled their money and I was given first class plane tickets as far as Denver, Colorado. From Denver into Gillette, Wyoming (where the attorneys were located), it was a twin turboprop puddle jumper making all local stops, so no first class. I boarded my flight to Denver at Albany, NY airport at some early morning hour. I'd flown first class before on business, so knew what the service was like. Soon enough, the flight attendants (I am old enough to still call them "Stewardesses") came around asking if I wanted a Mimosa or Bloody Mary. I asked for a good lager beer and some tomato juice. This was a Wyoming thing, tomato juice and beer, often on a summer's morning with breakfast, or on hot days after work was done with. The flight attendant said she'd check, and a few minutes later was back with my 'red eye' and was laughing. She said she asked the senior flight attendant about the mixing of beer and tomato juice, as she'd never seen or heard of it previously. The senior flight attendant told her that the passenger asking for it was probably from Wyoming or thereabouts. We had a good breakfast up in first class, and I had German lager beer with tomato juice to wash it down.

On another case, I was flown out to Lander, Wyoming to take a look at a 100 psig packaged steam boiler in a laundry. A boiler blowdown line was run out the door of the boiler room, temporarily screwed into the blowdown valve, and the boiler was given its blowdowns. The owner of the laundry ran the boiler, and never bothered to pipe up a permanent blowdown line and blowdown tank. One day, as he blew the boiler down, a man having business in the laundry was walking across the parking lot. The owner opened the blowdown valves without checking to see if the discharge path was clear of people. No line of sight from inside the boiler room to the parking lot. The blowdown of hot water flashing to steam caught the man in the parking lot in the legs. The leg nearest the blast had a lot of meat cooked on the calf, and there was quite a burn and many reconstructive surgeries followed. I was there to look at the boiler and the half-assed blowdown piping and then give a deposition to be used at trial. From there, we went to Cody, Wyoming, where I was to be deposed in the matter of a jobsite accident due to misuse of a ladder.

The jury-rigged blowdown pipe and the condition of that boiler room could well have been a scene from one of those Pakistani youtubes. Dangling wires tied together with wire nuts sticking out of junction boxes, pressure switches and the like. Un-insulated piping, piping run using anything handy, so screwed galvanized was used on 100 psi steam. The boiler itself was a packaged dry-back Scotch type boiler, and was permanent plant equipment. No excuse for not having properly piped the blowdown line to a blowdown tank.

After the boiler room visit and deposition, we pushed on to Cody in the attorney's Suburban. It was a working rancher's vehicle, not some cushy wheels as one might suppose. The attorney who retained me was a Mormon, and we'd worked cases before. He had grown up on ranches where his father had been a foreman or ranch hand. As such, he had grown up working cattle until he went to college. Then, he worked as a laborer and mason tender on construction sites while in college. Supper time rolled around, and the attorney took me into a place called "the Proud Cut Saloon" for a steak dinner. He and I sat at a booth, and I remember he pointed to old photos of cowboys and livestock and horses on the walls, naming the men in them and telling me about his growing up and his father. It was summer, and the place was packed with tourists, most of whom wore summer straw cowboy hats. People were bellying up to the bar (probably from seeing one too many western movies), and ordering plenty to drink. Some were already boisterous. We were the only two guys without those hats. The attorney looked at those hats and the photos on the walls, and remarked that he and I were likely the only two men in that place who'd ever worked a roundup or branding. I felt a bit awkward, not wanting to offend my host, but asked if he'd mind if I had a beer. He said he'd buy me a beer, and ordered a lemonade. We ordered our steaks, and before eating, the attorney bowed his head and said grace. I was impressed that he stood by his faith and principals amidst a crowd of tourists and similar types.

We had the deposition about the ladder case the next day, and we had the other side's expert to question and depose. We were pretty tired by day's end, and started back to Gillette from Cody. The attorney asked if I'd be OK driving the Suburban as he was exhausted. I drove out of Cody and we came to an area with some irrigation canals. It reminded me of a book I'd read as a kid in Brooklyn called "Little Britches". I asked the attorney if he'd read "Little Britches" as a kid and he had. We both agreed we'd been pretty torn up when the author, as a boy, lost his father and became man of the household. As I drove us over the Big Horn Pass and through an area with some woods and a slough, I had to brake for three moose. I remarked it was a good thing it was daylight and I had had nothing to drink. We both laughed about it. I will always remember that attorney as a friend, an earnest and dedicated man of the highest principals, who took on cases representing working people that the bigger firms would not touch. We made an unlikely pair, a Wyoming Mormon and Jewish boy from Brooklyn, but we found a common ground and a great mutual respect. I will always remember that dinner in Cody, Wyoming. Not for the steak, but for what my friend showed me in how he carried himself.

My batting average as an expert witness was all wins. I never went looking for the work, and never wanted to make a habit out of expert witnessing. An occasional case or two for attorneys who were friends and a good trip back to Wyoming and some mental jousting were all good times. I've reviewed a number of cases involving machinery, piping, and construction accidents over the years. The unsafe conditions and accidents resulting from them are about one shade better than the conditions in those Pakistani youtubes. I've done engineering reviews in cases that resulted in men being horribly maimed and disabled for life due to people using the wrong fittings, or deadheading a plunger pump. I've done engineering review on a wrongful death case in which the victim was dismembered by a shop-made piece of equipment ( a device for spooling up extruded plastic tubing for telecommunications). There was no means of blocking the hydraulic oil supply to a drive motor. The victim was doing some production run on this piece of equipment, needing to tie off the tubing so he could take the reel off the machine. A piece of the tubing being wound up happened to bump the control valve for the hydraulic motor while the man was near the reel. He got wound up and the control valve went wide open. His remains were thrown around the inside of the plant. The attorney handling the case said it was best that I not see the coroner's photos, just review the design of the machine. It was a place and piece of equipment that would have been right at home in Pakistan. I think in the Pakistani youtubes, we do not see th men who are disabled by accidents in those shops. If a man is disabled, there likely is no such thing as "Workman's Comp." The poor bastard is lucky to be given a pittance and cut loose by the employer. That puts the disabled man's son(s) in the workplace sooner rather than later. It would explain the young boys we see in ther Pakistani youtubes working in the shops instead of being in school.

Our teacher said he noticed a number of the molders were "pissing in the sea coal pile".
I forget which book i found a similar story, it was published in the 1910's. I think. The book was an autobiography of someone's experience and improvements to the industry.

The book author wasn't believed by the foremen and managers when he discovered folks pissin in the casting sand.

Last edited:
Yes I know Muslims don't drink or they are not supposed to. I met a guy that was making a fortune buying Booze from companies like Seagrams and Jack Daniels that didn't meet their requirements and shipping it to Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries. Later the companies learned what he was doing and started shipping the defective brews direct! Yes they are not supposed to drink but drink quite a bit especially the rich.

I worked in shop in Brea. SoCal

I used to stay late to get the work done. Sometimes if I had to make a change I'd go downstairs and look for the guys in the CNC dept. Invariably they weren't around, this would be anywhere from 9-12pm

So I'd go to Stevie the manual machinist. I'd ask "Stevie, where's the two Greg's and Kevin?"
He'd reply in his heavy Czech accent "those bums are up at the Shady Nook" which was a bar about a mile up the road.

So I'd go upto the Shady Nook, sometimes with revised drawings, sometimes change orders, sometimes I'd sketch out on a napkin what had to be revised.

We'd talk shop while the beer was flowing. Being a light weight, I'd have a soda and leave. Usually I'd leave around midnight before they came back from the Nook.

They always stayed late to make up the lost time, they never scrapped parts, got done what they were supposed to do that night.

I miss those days.

IMG-4309 (2).JPGIMG-4309 (2).JPG

I was on a working trip to Sheffield in the UK a few years ago. For those who don’t know Sheffield used to be the centre for steel making and associated products back in the day. It’s been de-industrialised to a great extent and I was travelling through a part of the area were everything had been flattened prior to potential re-development. Stood out like a sore thumb in the middle of all the nothingness was the pub that had served the steel making area. The guy who was guiding me said the pub used to have a special dispensation to remain open 24 hours a day for steel workers coming off shift.

Regards Tyrone.

At one place I worked at the managing director came to see me one day. He said “ I know you’re busy Tyrone but can you do me a little favour. You know the fire door in the fitting shop that leads on the main road, can you remove the crash bar that’s on it and replace it with one of those little glass tubes you can break with the little hammer ? “

I said “ Yeah, but is the crash bar broken ?”

He replied “ No, the thing is Ray is sneaking out through that door when we have our 3-00 pm tea break and he’s going to the pub for another pint and I need to stop him ! “

Ray was one of the Plano-mill operators who normally went to the pub for lunch and had 3 pints in the 3/4 of an hour lunch break. The tea break was 10 minutes and the pub was 100 yards away but he still had time to run and get a pint.

He became a sad case. I remember chatting to him one Saturday morning about 5 minutes before the 12-00 finishing time. He was washed and dressed up ready to go to the pub again. I noticed he was holding on tight to the Plano-mill table to stop the shakes !

Regards Tyrone

When they wanted to trim the workforce a bit ,head office would send one of the meanies from accounting around the local pubs after 1pm .......anyone still in the pub after 1pm would be fired ........lots of the senior executives would drink all afternoon ,and every now and again ,one of them would be fired too ,when they wanted him gone.

He became a sad case. I remember chatting to him one Saturday morning about 5 minutes before the 12-00 finishing time. He was washed and dressed up ready to go to the pub again. I noticed he was holding on tight to the Plano-mill table to stop the shakes !
Tyrone -

Those cases are sad - I know all to well from what I've seen in my life.

I was told one that scared me to death, similar situation. I should state that although I am not a rated pilot I have worked around aviation a lot, including managing flight facilities. So I'm real dangerous.

Recounted by a friend who was there. Back in the early 90s the US and Russia started the 'Open Skies' - where each could send aircraft to the other country and over fly whatever they wanted to look at. First group of Russian aircraft/aircrew came into a Navy P3 operation. Obvious that the flight crews are drinking while flying. US always has had a 12 hour 'bottle to throttle' rule; tell the Russians they have to follow our rules while in country. They say OK - we will. Next day the US aircrew who have to fly with the Russians come back and say things are nuts - the Russians have the shakes so bad it is not safe to fly with them. Long story short the rules have to be ignored such that the Russians can have just enough so as to not go into DTs while flying.

There is one decision I'm glad I didn't have to make.

Dale

When I was in the Seabee's there were a lot of "functioning" alcoholic's that had bottles of one thing or another at various jobsites or shop areas, if they didn't drink they were insufferable and couldn't work. Most of them were senior petty officers. Mixed drinks in the EM club were 10 cents each, it's a wonder more of us weren't alky's...

I haven't watched the whole vid yet but thus far it's amazing what's being accomplished with so little.

Most of the guys look pretty young. I wonder how many will sport eye patches in their later years? They look dashing on some guys but I don't ever want one. Gosh it makes me squint just watching what they do with nary a pair of safety glasses among them all.
You should watch how they manufacture atomic bombs. In this case it doesn't matter, they work. Allahu akbar.:bowdown:

Tyrone -

Those cases are sad - I know all to well from what I've seen in my life.

I was told one that scared me to death, similar situation. I should state that although I am not a rated pilot I have worked around aviation a lot, including managing flight facilities. So I'm real dangerous.

Recounted by a friend who was there. Back in the early 90s the US and Russia started the 'Open Skies' - where each could send aircraft to the other country and over fly whatever they wanted to look at. First group of Russian aircraft/aircrew came into a Navy P3 operation. Obvious that the flight crews are drinking while flying. US always has had a 12 hour 'bottle to throttle' rule; tell the Russians they have to follow our rules while in country. They say OK - we will. Next day the US aircrew who have to fly with the Russians come back and say things are nuts - the Russians have the shakes so bad it is not safe to fly with them. Long story short the rules have to be ignored such that the Russians can have just enough so as to not go into DTs while flying.

There is one decision I'm glad I didn't have to make.

Dale
I used to work with another guy called Glenn who had it bad. He’d worked abroad a lot in places were there was nothing else to do but hang around in the hotel bar. He was banned from driving and he never bothered to re-apply for his licence because he couldn’t stay sober for long enough to pass the mandatory blood test.
My drinking buddy and I used to finish our evening with a glass of a spirit we’d never had before. One night we tried “ Stroh 80 “ . It blew my socks off.
One day I mentioned this to Glenn. I asked him if he’d ever heard of it ? He said “ Oh Yeah, there are a lot of Eastern European pilots in central African countries. They drink it all the time ! “
Regards Tyrone.

You should try Fockink gin, takes a lot of courage to walk up to a big ape of a bartender and say "Can I have a Fockink gin".:D Probably best after a few drinks. "Stroh" has an equivalent in Australia, Bundaberg OP (Over Proof) not sure its as strong but it definitely packs a punch.

My father used to charter Antonov's to move cargo in Africa, apparently when they crashed there were always vodka bottles in the cockpit. The Mozambican president Samora Machel died when the russian pilot flew into a hillside, blamed the South African's said they messed with radio beacons. Vodka messed with the pilots ability to fly.

Interesting how some people get around the stigma of drinking early in the day. They drink such things as Mimosas and Bloody Marys. Let a workingman be seen having a beer with breakfast and he is held up as low-brow or similar.

Years ago, I was retained to be an expert witness at a trial in Federal District Court in Casper, Wyoming as well as to act as a consulting engineer for a couple of other Wyoming attorneys on some machinery-related cases. The attorneys pooled their money and I was given first class plane tickets as far as Denver, Colorado. From Denver into Gillette, Wyoming (where the attorneys were located), it was a twin turboprop puddle jumper making all local stops, so no first class. I boarded my flight to Denver at Albany, NY airport at some early morning hour. I'd flown first class before on business, so knew what the service was like. Soon enough, the flight attendants (I am old enough to still call them "Stewardesses") came around asking if I wanted a Mimosa or Bloody Mary. I asked for a good lager beer and some tomato juice. This was a Wyoming thing, tomato juice and beer, often on a summer's morning with breakfast, or on hot days after work was done with. The flight attendant said she'd check, and a few minutes later was back with my 'red eye' and was laughing. She said she asked the senior flight attendant about the mixing of beer and tomato juice, as she'd never seen or heard of it previously. The senior flight attendant told her that the passenger asking for it was probably from Wyoming or thereabouts. We had a good breakfast up in first class, and I had German lager beer with tomato juice to wash it down.

On another case, I was flown out to Lander, Wyoming to take a look at a 100 psig packaged steam boiler in a laundry. A boiler blowdown line was run out the door of the boiler room, temporarily screwed into the blowdown valve, and the boiler was given its blowdowns. The owner of the laundry ran the boiler, and never bothered to pipe up a permanent blowdown line and blowdown tank. One day, as he blew the boiler down, a man having business in the laundry was walking across the parking lot. The owner opened the blowdown valves without checking to see if the discharge path was clear of people. No line of sight from inside the boiler room to the parking lot. The blowdown of hot water flashing to steam caught the man in the parking lot in the legs. The leg nearest the blast had a lot of meat cooked on the calf, and there was quite a burn and many reconstructive surgeries followed. I was there to look at the boiler and the half-assed blowdown piping and then give a deposition to be used at trial. From there, we went to Cody, Wyoming, where I was to be deposed in the matter of a jobsite accident due to misuse of a ladder.

The jury-rigged blowdown pipe and the condition of that boiler room could well have been a scene from one of those Pakistani youtubes. Dangling wires tied together with wire nuts sticking out of junction boxes, pressure switches and the like. Un-insulated piping, piping run using anything handy, so screwed galvanized was used on 100 psi steam. The boiler itself was a packaged dry-back Scotch type boiler, and was permanent plant equipment. No excuse for not having properly piped the blowdown line to a blowdown tank.

After the boiler room visit and deposition, we pushed on to Cody in the attorney's Suburban. It was a working rancher's vehicle, not some cushy wheels as one might suppose. The attorney who retained me was a Mormon, and we'd worked cases before. He had grown up on ranches where his father had been a foreman or ranch hand. As such, he had grown up working cattle until he went to college. Then, he worked as a laborer and mason tender on construction sites while in college. Supper time rolled around, and the attorney took me into a place called "the Proud Cut Saloon" for a steak dinner. He and I sat at a booth, and I remember he pointed to old photos of cowboys and livestock and horses on the walls, naming the men in them and telling me about his growing up and his father. It was summer, and the place was packed with tourists, most of whom wore summer straw cowboy hats. People were bellying up to the bar (probably from seeing one too many western movies), and ordering plenty to drink. Some were already boisterous. We were the only two guys without those hats. The attorney looked at those hats and the photos on the walls, and remarked that he and I were likely the only two men in that place who'd ever worked a roundup or branding. I felt a bit awkward, not wanting to offend my host, but asked if he'd mind if I had a beer. He said he'd buy me a beer, and ordered a lemonade. We ordered our steaks, and before eating, the attorney bowed his head and said grace. I was impressed that he stood by his faith and principals amidst a crowd of tourists and similar types.

We had the deposition about the ladder case the next day, and we had the other side's expert to question and depose. We were pretty tired by day's end, and started back to Gillette from Cody. The attorney asked if I'd be OK driving the Suburban as he was exhausted. I drove out of Cody and we came to an area with some irrigation canals. It reminded me of a book I'd read as a kid in Brooklyn called "Little Britches". I asked the attorney if he'd read "Little Britches" as a kid and he had. We both agreed we'd been pretty torn up when the author, as a boy, lost his father and became man of the household. As I drove us over the Big Horn Pass and through an area with some woods and a slough, I had to brake for three moose. I remarked it was a good thing it was daylight and I had had nothing to drink. We both laughed about it. I will always remember that attorney as a friend, an earnest and dedicated man of the highest principals, who took on cases representing working people that the bigger firms would not touch. We made an unlikely pair, a Wyoming Mormon and Jewish boy from Brooklyn, but we found a common ground and a great mutual respect. I will always remember that dinner in Cody, Wyoming. Not for the steak, but for what my friend showed me in how he carried himself.

My batting average as an expert witness was all wins. I never went looking for the work, and never wanted to make a habit out of expert witnessing. An occasional case or two for attorneys who were friends and a good trip back to Wyoming and some mental jousting were all good times. I've reviewed a number of cases involving machinery, piping, and construction accidents over the years. The unsafe conditions and accidents resulting from them are about one shade better than the conditions in those Pakistani youtubes. I've done engineering reviews in cases that resulted in men being horribly maimed and disabled for life due to people using the wrong fittings, or deadheading a plunger pump. I've done engineering review on a wrongful death case in which the victim was dismembered by a shop-made piece of equipment ( a device for spooling up extruded plastic tubing for telecommunications). There was no means of blocking the hydraulic oil supply to a drive motor. The victim was doing some production run on this piece of equipment, needing to tie off the tubing so he could take the reel off the machine. A piece of the tubing being wound up happened to bump the control valve for the hydraulic motor while the man was near the reel. He got wound up and the control valve went wide open. His remains were thrown around the inside of the plant. The attorney handling the case said it was best that I not see the coroner's photos, just review the design of the machine. It was a place and piece of equipment that would have been right at home in Pakistan. I think in the Pakistani youtubes, we do not see th men who are disabled by accidents in those shops. If a man is disabled, there likely is no such thing as "Workman's Comp." The poor bastard is lucky to be given a pittance and cut loose by the employer. That puts the disabled man's son(s) in the workplace sooner rather than later. It would explain the young boys we see in ther Pakistani youtubes working in the shops instead of being in school.
I grew up in Wyoming and enjoyed your stories - all of which just seem like the things that happen. Much of the complacency around questionable home brew mechanisms comes from ranching and farming, which isn’t regulated much and we like it that way. Unfortunately if you’re going to be stupid, you have to be tough.

The trades in Wyoming are quite different from Colorado, Idaho, and westward. In Wyoming the older guys would constantly pass on safety comments, ethical rules of thumb, be good examples by being the first there in the morning and last to leave at night. The employment norms were clear and they would be the first to call out a slacker to pick it up, as well as stand up to employers that were out of line. If something wasn’t safe they didn’t need to have a title of authority to call bs and help to make it right. They passed on the organizational history and how injuries have happened over the years. Professionalism included personal leadership and helped grow boys into men, not just employees.

Working out of state, it has been more and more rare to even have older guys working anywhere near the less experienced, and there isn’t a desire to pass on sqat. There isn’t the culture of looking out for each other or doing the right thing when nobody is looking.

I‘ve enjoyed those Pakistani videos and when my grandson is older we’ll get a laugh out of them, and I’ll point out how the older guys are looking out for the young guys and there are many informal safety rules they don’t cross. Many of the main guys in these videos are sharp - in other countries they would be the best in whatever trade was available to them.

Taper Pin:

Thanks for your kind words. I lived and worked briefly in Wyoming, on the Laramie River Station powerplant at Wheatland. I was something of a novelty, being 'from back east', and I was very appreciative of the people, whether in the heavy construction trades or the local inhabitants. I met some incredible people who I look up to and use a bench mark in my own life to this day, even 45 years later.

Back in those days, 'heavy construction people', people who followed the big jobs like powerplant construction projects, were clannish. Even if you did not know a soul on a jobsite, when you arrived, if you toed the mark and stood up to the kidding, you were accepted. As a young engineer from 'back east', I was a long way from home, but found acceptance and support in the people around me. We looked out for each other, on the job and off site.

A ranch family near Chugwater had befriended me early on as one of their members worked in Wheatland as a machinist/welder. When spring roundup and branding rolled around, they asked if I'd care to give a hand. I jumped at the chance and worked with the crew of men who went ranch to ranch, neighbor helping neighbor.
When I was laid off, this same family asked me to come stay on the ranch. I said I would on the condition that I 'work my board'. They had a custom combining outfit that was stuck down on the Western Slope in Colorado due to a hailstorm having beat down the wheat. When the wheat recovered, some of their crew had quit and left them shorthanded. I had a commercial driver's license, could do repairs and cook. I went down to the Western Slope and helped them finish out the season combining, following the crop from one place to another. I drove grain trucks (cab over engine, 8-71 N Detroit, RTO 6513 Road Ranger transmissions, twin screw rears). I serviced and repaired the combines and cooked and drove loads to the elevators. We camped in the wheat strips, bunkhouse built on an old Cornbinder truck chassis, mechanic truck, office trailer/cook shack pulled by the mechanic truck, and three grain trucks that pulled home-built trailers to move the combines. I tied up at the ranch when the combining was done and helped with work there. One of the things I was very fortunate to experience was spending time with the father of the family. He had been born in 1900 in Missouri, and his parents brought him to Wyoming in 1908 to homestead. He'd seen it go from a rough shanty on a quarter section of land to having untold amounts of land and having missile silos put on that land by the government. We spent a good bit of time together as the joke was that between the old man and myself, they had one good man. He knew the lay of the land, but was beginning to get a bit of alzheimers or similar, and I was young and could handle things like climbing windmills to lube them or unlash the tails. We rode over endless range lands to check on stock and fences, and I will always treasure that time. It was rubbing directly against history. The time in Wyoming shaped me and was a wonderful postgraduate school.

The family tie to Wyoming is quite interesting. While I was on the job in Wheatland, my younger brother had graduated law school and failed the NY State Bar Exam. He had a shoe box or two full of rejection letters (back when people wrote real letters) from law firms he'd applied to. He was down at the mouth and at a loose end. Our parents suggested he drive out to Wyoming and hang out with me. He did just that. Word got around that my younger brother was a Jewish Lawyer from NY and bunking with me. Every night, in my mobile home (the powerplant project had setup a mobile home park), there was a poker game. I do not play cards, so cooked large pots of Italian red sauce with sausage and we fed my buddies from the job while my brother played poker and gave free legal advice. One night, after the crowd had left, we got the garbage loaded into my pickup and headed to the town dump. We took a couple of revolvers along to pot rats with. It was a moonlit night and we tossed the garbage into the open pit. As we sat on the tailgate waiting for the rats to appear, I noticed hard bound books blowing around the dump. We picked them up and discovered that were old law books from an attorney in Wheatland. Next morning, I went into Wheatland and asked the late Joe Bookout (owner/master machinist/inventor) at Drube's Machine Works about the lawyer. Bookout had my brother come into town and introduced him to the attorney. The attorney was in his 80's and took my brother to meet the Platte County Bar Association. They suggested my brother sit the Wyoming Bar. He needed recommendations from Wyoming attorneys. Every man at the meeting said that the fact Joe Bookout spoke well of us was enough, and they'd send recommendations to the State Bar Association for my brother.

My brother went to Laramie awhile later on to sit the bar exam. While there, he went to use the men's room and saw a bulletin board of job postings. One was for a special prosecutor in Campbell County, Wyoming, and the employer would be the Campbell County Sheriff's Office. My brother applied for the job. He was asked about his family, and I drove to Gillette to speak up for my brother. He was hired on, deputized, and worked as a kind of legal adviser/deputy until he got word he'd passed the bar. He served the Sheriff's Office for a few years, and the late Delano "Spike" Hladky, the sheriff, was a real second father to my brother. My brother was sent to SWAT and hostage negotiator training at Quantico, and really got a lot of experience on that job. Campbell County grew, and the governor of Wyoming wanted to appoint a full time county judge rather than a circuit judge. The governor contacted my brother. My brother refused the job, saying his first allegiance was to the Sheriff. The governor had to call the Sheriff and ask him to please tell my brother to get on the bench as a judge. My brother served a few terms, being elected after that first one. He left the bench and went into private practice, and built a thriving law practice in Gillette. He's winding it up, serving as a City Court judge in Gillette and wrapping up his last private practice cases, heading to retirement. I always felt a closeness to Wyoming and when I got word recently that Sheriff Hladky had died, I took it hard. It was like a part of history and of our family had died. A lot has changed around Gillette over the years. The powerplant I worked on at Wheatland may well wind up shut down as the US goes on its campaign to stop using coal as a fuel.

I always remember the way people looked out for each other, even strangers. I also remember how a person's handshake and word were taken as binding and good, God help the person who went back on their handshake or word.

Your mention of people on the jobs looking out for the younger hands brings to mind a sad event in our area here in NY. I had met a neighbor's son, and we discussed a career as a civil engineer, and how I'd enjoyed working 'out in the field' on heavy construction projects. This young fellow went to college and got a degree in Construction Management or similar. He met a nice girl and there was a wedding at his mother's home up the 'holler' from us. I bush hogged the field where the wedding was held and we attended the wedding. The boy took a job with a construction firm that did a lot of road building. I don't think he was n the job 6 months when word came that he'd been killed in an accident on the jobsite. A truck had backed over him, crushing his chest and killing him. I remember my first words where: "Where the hell were the oldtimers, whyn't were they looking out for that kid ?". I remember when I got out of college, a green kid on a powerplant jobsite, the old project super called in all the craft foremen. He introduced me, and told the craft foremen to look out for me, and to have their men look out for me. I learned quickly about what to be aware of on jobsites. The men took me under their collective wings and taught me so much. It was rigging, welding, pipefitting, structural ironwork, boilermaker's work, what heavy equipment can do, and on it went. If I appeared interested, the men would call me over and let me try my hand at it. I was a kid turned loose in toyland and the world was fresh and young and my oyster in those days. The old hands were the best, and while they had their rough edges and prejudices, I think they would never let anyone, even someone they might not like, get in harm's way on a jobsite. Now, I am one of those 'old hands' when I go on jobsites and machine shops as a welding inspector or professional engineer. I walk on a site and feel at home, even if I do not know anyone at the onset. If I see something unsafe happening, I will step in and say something or act.

It's been 53 years since I got out of engineering school and entered the postgraduate courses on the jobsites. I learned how to survive in the real world, aside from the skills and tricks the men taught me. It was not only a postgraduate school but a finishing school for me. The time in Wyoming was special in my life, something I always will treasure and look back on fondly.

John.k

Never mind working in the bakery- at least there you'd know what the 'secret ingredients' in the baked goods really were. I'd avoid eating the bread or whatever the bakery produced.

One day I mentioned this to Glenn. I asked him if he’d ever heard of it ? He said “ Oh Yeah, there are a lot of Eastern European pilots in central African countries. They drink it all the time ! “
Regards Tyrone.
Tyrone -

That's one of the reasons I have this rule with my son, daughter and grandkids. I get to veto airlines outside the US. Incidents can - unfortunately - happen. But you want to play the odds the best you can.

Dale

Back