What's new
What's new

Brand new LeBlond lathe push back issues

I purchased a new LeBlond lathe and the first job was single point threading 1 5/8 - 12 on DOM steel tube and wasn't able to get a good consistent cut as I was seeing at least .008" to .010" push back on the DRO on a light cut of .015". Replaced the threading insert checked tool height and no change. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
"Brand New LeBlond Lathe"

WOW!
How'd you manage that?

:bowdown:

This doesn't make up for the last 3 years, but it sure give a glimmer of hope!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Center drill the piece, and pop the live center in the tailstock, and see if some of the flex goes away.

My lathe probably isn't as rigid as yours, so I'd consider .015 a fairly deep DOC with a form tool, likely to develop some chatter.

Since I am seeing the movement on the DRO it would be the entire X axis moving and there is very little to no backlash so its moving the lead screw.

Maybe put an indicator on the saddle and against the tool post (same as the DRO is measuring) and then push and pull on it to see if everything matches. Something is loose, need to track it down.

I don't know about the new LeBlonds, but the old ones I've run wouldn't move .010 if you you dumped them out of a plane.

Not to insult but take up slop in the infeed screw by only moving in before cutting. Are apron gibs tight. Not sure of the name but the pads that prevent the apron from lifting need to be almost touching the bed bottom.
What style tool post and tool holder. As little stickout as possible.
Bill D

Someone else will have to speak regarding the quality of the new Leblonds but I can say I bought 15 x 30 and 15 x 84 Square head Leblonds; 1970's vintage several yrs ago from a Lifelong Machinist in N Georgia and the gentleman called me back 5 months later and asked if I would be willing to sell one of the machines back to him complaining that his new Leblonds purchased to replace these two older machines would no longer hold the tolerances needed for his Business operation. (He claims he was merely buying the new machinery to offset a tax write-off needed for that year) Given the fact that one of these older machines had suffered a gear crash due to a broken main drive shaft in the head and he still wanted these back tells me there was definitely a concerning issue going on with the new Leblond machines . Totally agree with LOTT; these older machines are still Bullet proof even with the years of abuse under they're belt

OK, well - apparently the joke is [somewhat] on me?
I had no idea that someone was selling lathes under the LeBlond name these days.

Wiki doesn't tell me who owns it now, but I am guessing that it's not Makino anymore?

Re-branded sumpthing else, trying to git a premium price from unsuspecting people?

I seen that happen with Cincinatti as well.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That's an interesting thought; would have to agree that he was probably buying the Makino named machines. I believe R K Leblond has been bought out under several different names over that last 2 decades or so. Just very sad these current production machines these days can't hold their own against these 40 & 60 yr old machines so many of are still running these days---

Last edited:
That's an interesting thought; would have to agree that he was probably buying the Makino named machines. I believe R K Leblond has been bought out under several different names over that last 2 decades or so. Just very sad these current production machines these days can hold their own against these 40 & 60 yr old machines so many of are still running these days---

"can't" maybe?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That's an interesting thought; would have to agree that he was probably buying the Makino named machines. I believe R K Leblond has been bought out under several different names over that last 2 decades or so. Just very sad these current production machines these days can hold their own against these 40 & 60 yr old machines so many of are still running these days---
Definitely CAN'T!! Haaa
Us old guys are struggling with our Typing a bit!! Maybe the moderator will squeeze that correction in!!

Thanks!!

Not to insult but take up slop in the infeed screw by only moving in before cutting. Are apron gibs tight. Not sure of the name but the pads that prevent the apron from lifting need to be almost touching the bed bottom.
What style tool post and tool holder. As little stickout as possible.
Bill D
Yes gibs are tight and it's an Aloris tool post which is also new.

OK, well - apparently the joke is [somewhat] on me?
I had no idea that someone was selling lathes under the LeBlond name these days.

Wiki doesn't tell me who owns it now, but I am guessing that it's not Makino anymore?

Re-branded sumpthing else, trying to git a premium price from unsuspecting people?

I seen that happen with Cincinatti as well.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
They are importing the machines in from Taiwan and bringing them to their facility in Ohio and performing quality checks and adding accessories that the customer orders. They are selling milling machines and surface grinders as well.

You first say "push back" and then you say "entire X axis" and "see it on the DRO".

OK, so how long is your DOM tube?

What fer chuck are you using?

We ARE talking about "Z" axis eh? Not X?

When you are saying that the DRO shows that it pushed back, but then you say that the lead screw is moving...

Are you gauging off of the tube, or are you going back to the chuck face to determine that something [other than the tube] has moved?

I am envisioning that you have a long pipe sticking out the back door and the tail is trying to wag the dog a bit, and the chuck doesn't have a good enough bite on it, and the whole pipe is slipping back out of the chuck.

But again - touch off on the chuck face after the fact to see if that moved.
Like set your tool to the chuck face at "0 ABS" and then re-zero in INCR when you go to the bar face.
After it has moved, go back to the chuck and see where your ABS reader says that you are.

They are selling milling machines and surface grinders as well.

"They"

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If the lead screw is moving, then you should be able to put a mag base indicator on the screw somewhere, engage the feed handle (motor off) and move the carraige back and forth with the handle.

Does the screw move?
If you doo see movement, are you sure that it is lateral, and not just a bit of radial movement?

I hate SE Asia buying up our old skewl names!
(kan't blame them, but it's lying just the same.)

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We ARE talking about "Z" axis eh? Not X?

When you are saying that the DRO shows that it pushed back, but then you say that the lead screw is moving...
Has to be X, he's not reading Z motion while it's cutting (at least not deflection).

And I'm pretty sure by "lead screw" he means the X cross slide screw.

Sure, in some cases that as well.
Either way, a new pair of Sorels aint made in Canada, and a new LeBlond aint built in Cincinatti.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back