What's new
What's new

Buying first machine. Questions about Speedio vs. Okuma.

Good update. I read this two years ago and was wondering what happened. I'm also an engineer in a similar position wanting to change industries/career path so that long post hit really close to home. Change the job titles and locations and skip the part about Tesla stock options and it could have been me talking about over thinking shit.

I ended up buying a used Taiwanese bt30 machine (Chevalier FTC-1320v, 15k rpm) last month because it came up real cheap and it's an oddball machine and I had the space. Fortunately the online auction ended between Xmas and New year's and I had my machinist buddies around and just enough beers in me to stop thinking and just bid on it. Just need to get my electrician buddy around to wire it up...and spend another few thousand on vices and tooling.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it.

Good luck getting a spare part or support 5 years from now on a shitty Chinese machine. Or Taiwanese machine for that matter...

Skip all of that headache, and buy yourself a name brand machine, with a reputable dealer base. New or used.

1- A Speedio is a slow-depreciating asset. He can keep it for 3 years and probably sell it for roughly what he bought it for. He'll be out rigging and shipping, but he would also spend that $5k on the first round of outsourced prototypes that will quickly go in the trash.

2- Once you are decent at the machining workflow for a group of parts, you can iterate designs very very very fast. No need to communicate with anyone, make prints, wait for emails.

3- Fast + Low Cost = More Iterations = Better Products. Let's say you spend 4 evenings a week at your Speedio, and it is dialed in for your parts to the point where every evening in the shop yields a completely new prototype iteration. 3-4 weeks will be 12-16 product cycles. How long would that take (and how much would it cost) to job shop that out?

This is all true, if OP decides to run a shop, as I am. On the other hand, if OP decides to do other things with his time, and only needs a few parts now and then, having a machine for occasional use is probably not a good investment. There's opportunity cost to having your money tied up in a machine, even if it isn't depreciating much.

Good luck getting a spare part or support 5 years from now on a shitty Chinese machine. Or Taiwanese machine for that matter...

Skip all of that headache, and buy yourself a name brand machine, with a reputable dealer base. New or used.

Bootstrap your way to a better machine, I doubt a brand new Hermie or Makino Horizontal was any shops first machine.

Bootstrap your way to a better machine, I doubt a brand new Hermie or Makino Horizontal was any shops first machine.

Where in the world of manufacturing economics does it say that your first CNC machine must be a new, shitty chinese machine, and that I should then stake the livelihood of my business' financial future on the hopes that I can pay it off, and for the deposit of a more reliable piece of equipment.

The last two words of my post seemed to allow room for another alternative...

or used...

I would take a used - up to 30 years old in some cases - Robodrill/Okuma/Mori/Mazak/Makino every day and twice on Sunday, vs. a new, chinese brand that no one's heard of, and from a dealer that won't be selling that machine in 5 years time. And given geopolitics, I'm going to include new off-brand Taiwanese machines - which have historically been a little safer bet - into that as category now as well.

Instead of betting a lot on crap purchase, and then bootstrap into something better, why don't we instead just buy _smarter_ the first time...

So yeah, this is kind of why I was hesitant to mention it. But let's address the elephant in the room with another novella:

I've had to learn the hard way, via industrial auctions, the discipline to not pick things up - no matter how hypothetically useful or how good a deal - until I actually need or have an imminent use for them. Doing otherwise is a good way to burn money on hasty and ultimately counterproductive decisions. If there's a truly insane deal on something I might make an exception (e.g. if that same Brother mill was on sale for $35k), but otherwise it's liable to create more problems than it solves. Until everything else is in place and I'm ready to cut a check the moment I find something it's premature to even look at the used market. Just as with the auctions, there is always another one.

As I mentioned in my update it's not hard to feature-creep your way up without limit by taking small steps. Well if you're going to spend $50k, you may as well spend $60k. Well if you're already at $60k, what's $70k? It never ends, and soon your $50k budget for a shipped machine morphs into $90k...plus rigging...plus software licenses...plus that feature you forgot to check for in a rush to snag the machine that will cost you $5k to have the dealer install...plus that stupid dongle you didn't know about that costs $1500...plus that other feature that you really wanted but whoops, it's not compatible with this casting, or with this controller version. Now you're stuck with it in the former case and looking at $20k for a new controller in the latter case. It's a great way to spin your wheels and add stress and hassle and complication for the sake of things that you don't actually need and that don't ultimately move the needle anyway. See: My two giant threads on this forum.

As for the Chinese machine that doesn't really scare me in and of itself. The reputation of Chinese equipment and quality is often well deserved, but there can be exceptions. I've seen both sides. There are highs and lows and they'll be missed if you only look at the average. In the absence of any other information I definitely wouldn't get one. Someone who has to make a decision quickly or is running production or a job shop would be way better served sticking to a widely known and exceptionally well-supported brand. Absolutely no argument there.

That's not my situation though, and I didn't just pick the first random machine I saw after searching "CNC" on Alibaba. I'm looking specifically at one company, after almost 2 years of doing background research on them, the machine, and the results and experiences of those who own them. A machine is shitty because it's shitty, not because it's Chinese. Even if every other Chinese machine is crap it doesn't necessarily mean this one is crap. Just as Haas doesn't automatically become worse just because 100 trash-tier machine builders pop up around them.

I'm sure we can find some 80 year old machinists who will only use Starrett and dismiss Mitutoyo as "that Japanese crap made of rice paper," as they used to. Just as there are people who blanket-dismiss everything that comes out of China on account of the ball screws being lubricated with soy sauce or whatever, or an experience they had in another decade, with another machine, from another company. They've been right for a good long stretch, but eventually they'll be wrong and without pausing now and again to update their assumptions they'll continue being wrong. Meanwhile others are making good parts.

I don't expect them to go out of business in 5 years, they're at 20 and counting and only growing. Physical support will of course be limited, at least for the immediate future. On a machine this size there's really not that much that can go wrong, short of dropping it off a forklift or it arriving with a misaligned table, but I haven't heard of that happening. Most anything else I feel comfortable taking care of if no technicians are available. Even if I need to rent a Faro arm for a day to realign something, that's no big thing, and the likelihood of needing that is pretty low. Just about all of the moving or sparky bits are standard, widely available hardware. Industry standard rails, ball screws, servos, connectors, drives, pumps, etc. Syntec, Siemens, and Fanuc all have support networks in the US.

As far as the geopolitical situation goes I can guarantee you that if a proper war (or total embargo) with China breaks out, getting parts for your machine tools will be the least of your concerns. The supply of certain spares for Haas, Okuma, Makino, Mori, et al will dry up as well. Even for those who don't technically manufacture in China (though most do), much of the componentry and hardware inside their machines touches or originates from the Chinese supply chain. Specifically some of the more irreplaceable and difficult to source parts like controls and the materials/subcomponents inside them.

As for 30 year old machines, I'm not interested. Their present-day performance and condition are unknowns unless you go to a lot of effort and expense to verify them pre-purchase. And you can't check everything. The controllers will be old and missing functionality and quality-of-life improvements. The most tangible improvements - rigidity, MRR, speed - aren't sufficiently relevant for 99% of the work I do nor the process the machine is slotting into. The intangible benefits - reliability, service - are a wildcard without a lot of background work. It's great that there's service but that won't bring me comfort if I have to drop an unexpected $20k on said service to refurbish the machine to get it to back to a usable, reliable state. Nor will the associated time, disruption, and headache. It can be a false economy. For those reasons I consider a 30 year old machine to be a much bigger risk. A 5-10 year old machine is less likely to be that beat up, but may be considerably more expensive as will the cost to remediate unexpected issues.

These are real risks to think about. If the counter to all of that is just "ya but at least it's not Chinese" then there's really nothing to talk about. No doubt there are some who would rather go back to using a Bridgeport from 1930 instead of a modern Chinese CNC mill, because at least it was made of American steel. I'm happy to leave them to it. And they're happy. Everybody wins. :cheers:

It really wasn't my intention to spark a debate about this. I understand the motivation and experiences behind the distrust of Chinese machines and suppliers. It's generally well founded and it's one I've also had for a long time, and for the most part continue to have in the absence of information. Otherwise it's case-by-case based on available evidence. I also appreciate that you're trying to help me avoid making a mistake. In my particular situation I think I've done enough research and background work, gotten enough amazing help from everyone here, and accumulated enough relevant experience to make a reasonably well-informed decision.

Having said all of that: I'm definitely not married to it and I'm also not opposed to used machines. Of course I'd much prefer a recent Haas or Brother. No question about it. If - when I'm at the point where I'm ready to cut a check - one is available within the budget I set and in the configuration I want, I'll be thrilled to jump on it. If not then I'm comfortable taking on whatever leftover risks the Syil presents. IMHO they're minor, manageable, and the potential upside is worth the cost of entry.

As I alluded to in my update the goal isn't to make the perfect decision, as judged by hypothetical constraints and requirements that I don't actually have, while burning time and energy in the process. The goal is to unblock the process by making a good decision at the appropriate time. The Syil would meet that cutoff, as might a Brother or Haas. Everything else is window dressing.

I seem to recall reading that while Syil is best known in the US for their desktop mills, they are more of a full-line manufacturer in China. I wonder if any of our expat members can chime in.

Which control are you going to get on it?

As I mentioned in my update it's not hard to feature-creep your way up without limit by taking small steps. Well if you're going to spend $50k, you may as well spend $60k. Well if you're already at $60k, what's $70k? It never ends, and soon your $50k budget for a shipped machine morphs into $90k...

This is your inexperience speaking. You can get a VF2 with no options at all and start kicking ass from day one.

"But I need 1000 psi thru spindle coolant!!!" Really? For what? All those tiny, deep holes that you aren't ever going to drill?

Are you more interested in acquiring the equipment or actually using it?

If time is money, perhaps in the form of opportunity cost, how much money have squandered away debating which machine to buy?

Which control are you going to get on it?

Not sure, I need to do more research to get a better understanding of the pros and cons. Ideally get some hands on time with any of them. They're all modern and reliable controls so I have no concerns on that front. It'll come down to the details if I do end up going with Syil in the end.

If I was forced to pick today I'd go with the Siemens 828D. Seems to be well liked enough with a great interface and half-decent conversational programming capabilities to boot. Not that the last one is all that important but hey, why not? Could come in handy for quick adapters and test fixtures and the like.

The things I hear about Fanuc are all over the map in terms of usability, options pricing, etc. Perhaps most of the complaints come from older controls and aren't relevant today. One that stuck out in particular was a lack of syntax checking until a program errors out during run-time, and also things like axes directions changing (instead of +X always being in the same direction) based on bizarre and arbitrary rules. Deciphering Fanuc's naming conventions is a small project in itself.

The Syntec seems a bit like a middle ground in terms of usability/interface, and also has a few on-paper advantages (and disadvantages).

Not really burdening myself with this particular decision just yet!

I am that guy. To my left is the 1956 Cincinnati mill that I started my company with. In front of me is my Brother S1000. I can't imagine ethically, politically, logically, or in any form of business sense, choosing a Chinese mill. I don't have the time to enumerate all the ways that it is an poor choice. Mainly because I bought a mill and I need to make its monthly payment.

"But I need 1000 psi thru spindle coolant!!!" Really? For what? All those tiny, deep holes that you aren't ever going to drill?

TSC isn't high on the list, no. As a baseline I'd like to have automatic probing, be able to run smaller cutters in a semi-reasonable time, and have decent surfacing capabilities. The base Haas is less useful to me while costing more and taking up twice the floor space. Similarly optioned it's $75k for the Haas vs $45k for the X7. Spending 65% more for capabilities I won't use is exactly the kinda thing you just told me I lacked the experience to understand.

If time is money, perhaps in the form of opportunity cost, how much money have squandered away debating which machine to buy?

I'd rather not think about it... I couldn't agree with you more, but then that was the entire point of my update. And why I'm not planning to devote significant time to it at this stage until the mill can really start adding value (mind you value != income) and I'm ready to cut a check for an available machine that ticks all the boxes.

You can get a VF2 with no options at all and start kicking ass from day one.

I may end up doing exactly that. Not quite no options, but only the ones actually needed. Also most likely with an SMM2 instead of a VF-2. Of course if the timing lines up with a good Haas promo that might make it a no-brainer. Or maybe that $35k lightly used Speedio shows up after all.

I am that guy. To my left is the 1956 Cincinnati mill that I started my company with. In front of me is my Brother S1000. I can't imagine ethically, politically, logically, or in any form of business sense, choosing a Chinese mill. I don't have the time to enumerate all the ways that it is an poor choice. Mainly because I bought a mill and I need to make its monthly payment.

More power to you, I totally understand the sentiment. And the fact that the mill needs to pay for itself certainly changes the equation. I'd rather not get into an ethics debate. I've got no problem supporting Brother, just as you don't. Brother, who happily use your money to continue developing and improving their machines so tens of thousands of machines of them can be sold to China to enable them to be more competitive for high-volume production. Dig deep enough into a Haas and you'll find plenty of components or materials made or assembled in China. I don't recall seeing anyone flag these concerns in my years lurking this forum. Never heard a peep about Makino's Chinese locations. As soon as "the machine" is from a Chinese company we bolt upright to stand on principle. The supply chains are complex and deeply intertwined and without diving into how much of the money goes where it's largely a feel-good measure than a do-good measure. Which is fine, I don't begrudge anyone their decision though, it's just not how I want to spend my time.

I won't begrudge you for any decision you make, its your money. Holding a grudge isn't healthy for me and my daily life, and frankly isn't worth my time.

HOWEVER, I am one of those crazy wacko's that thinks we should be a smidge more intelligent with who we spend our money. The supply chain is intertwined, but it is not inseparable. If you think where your dollar goes is unimportant, and is merely a "feel good" exercise, that is your opinion. It doesn't take long to start to unravel who makes what and where.

People often use the saying "you don't have a choice". You always have a choice. Last year I redesigned a product, changed processes, and finishing, so as to not buy Russian or Chinese steel, which were the only two options for that particular type of material. When I built my shop I carefully selected materials for their COO. When I design my products, I design and source based on COO.

Your a hell of a lot smarter than me, and it ain't rocket science....

I have one question. I have sold a few machines and listened to the buyers needs list which often includes "surfacing". Then we discuss the machine's capabilities and I show parts I made on the machines and they react positively showing they are impressed with the parts/finish/machine's capabilities. But the machine isn't going to surface anything for shit by today's standards. They suddenly don't care about their requirement for surfacing and buy a machine that pretty much sucks at it unless you run 30 IPM.

What do you need surfacing toolpaths for? I get why mold shops buy machines with a "mold package" for high speed surfacing, but what parts are you making that actually need surfacing because surfacing is a really dumb way to make anything that can be made any other way.

Just wondering if it's a legit need or if you're just dreaming about that billet tungsten chess set you could make?

I have one question. I have sold a few machines and listened to the buyers needs list which often includes "surfacing". Then we discuss the machine's capabilities and I show parts I made on the machines and they react positively showing they are impressed with the parts/finish/machine's capabilities. But the machine isn't going to surface anything for shit by today's standards. They suddenly don't care about their requirement for surfacing and buy a machine that pretty much sucks at it unless you run 30 IPM.

What do you need surfacing toolpaths for? I get why mold shops buy machines with a "mold package" for high speed surfacing, but what parts are you making that actually need surfacing because surfacing is a really dumb way to make anything that can be made any other way.

Just wondering if it's a legit need or if you're just dreaming about that billet tungsten chess set you could make?

In my experience, bone plates and certain other medical device parts.

8224L.jpg

Also anything that has organic surfaces for user interaction (handles) or cosmetics. In some cases, surfaces that the engineer thought could be profiled, but are blocked by another feature they added (intersecting cylinders for example). Fillets that don't stay on the same plane. And yes, they need to cut fast, they need to look good, and they need to be in tolerance and blend neatly with the adjacent faces of the part.

Also, going back to my first programming job after Dunwoody, guitar necks, heads, bridges, etc.

n18.jpg

The vast majority of parts that I've made in my career have required surfacing.

1- A Speedio is a slow-depreciating asset. He can keep it for 3 years and probably sell it for roughly what he bought it for. He'll be out rigging and shipping, but he would also spend that $5k on the first round of outsourced prototypes that will quickly go in the trash.

2- Once you are decent at the machining workflow for a group of parts, you can iterate designs very very very fast. No need to communicate with anyone, make prints, wait for emails.

3- Fast + Low Cost = More Iterations = Better Products. Let's say you spend 4 evenings a week at your Speedio, and it is dialed in for your parts to the point where every evening in the shop yields a completely new prototype iteration. 3-4 weeks will be 12-16 product cycles. How long would that take (and how much would it cost) to job shop that out?

That pretty much sums up why I bought a speedio. My niche in the semicondutor area is all about custom solutions at speed. Some of them aren't even custom, but they can't wait on lead times.

If you think where your dollar goes is unimportant, and is merely a "feel good" exercise, that is your opinion.

That's not what I said. "Without diving into how much of the money goes where it's largely a feel-good measure" is what I said. I don't think you picked up what I was putting down. The label on the machine doesn't tell you the whole story about where your dollar goes. You're lucky if it tells you half. COO isn't especially informative and does not mean that 100% of that thing and all of its constituents were mined, processed, and assembled in country.

Meanwhile: Brother sells tens of thousands of CNC machines in China. By buying a Brother machine you're supporting a company that's actively helping China compete against domestic manufacturing and generate tens of billions of dollars for their economy. The Brother machines we see in the US are runoff from that world. High-volume manufacturing is the focus and the majority of that's in China, we just benefit from it over here. Same goes for Robodrills. I've never seen anybody here bat an eyelash about it. Not once have I seen "I just can't ethically support a company that's actively enabling Chinese manufacturing and imperialism to this degree, who in the world could logically do that?" We're overjoyed to benefit from the fruits of all this overseas competition without concern for what it represents.

It's not a black and white China/Not-China question. There's a spectrum and on that spectrum you chose a Brother machine instead of, say, a Haas. The former has done way more to bolster China. Why didn't you get the Haas? "It's slower," "it's less reliable," "it doesn't fit my requirements." Too bad. Figure it out. That's what people do when they make sacrifices for their principles. Though let's be real, rah-rah all-American Haas would love nothing more than to 10x their exports to China, so mostly we're bickering over lines drawn in our little sandbox while the world moves past us.

To make it clear I'm just playing devil's advocate and I don't personally look at Brother, or most any company, that way. I've got nothing but respect for Brother and I'd get one in a heartbeat. But this is still the reality. And you, like most of us, have no qualms about helping them create it. So unless you specifically chose Brother instead of a Chinese machine you were considering, at greater expense to you, primarily due to the nationality of the company that made it, please don't attach lofty ideals to decisions you were going to make anyway.

Where do the tungsten and cobalt in your carbide tools come from? Where do the inductors, capacitors, resistors, diodes, active components, connectors, and bare PCBs in your servo drives and controls come from? Where do the constituent chemicals of your coolant originate? The fasteners in your mill? The seals on the bearings? The lubricants? The wire harnesses? The spindle motor windings? Do you know all of this? No you don't. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that because that's an unreasonable expectation to have of anyone. This would be a full-time job and you've got other stuff to worry about.

Which is why I don't feel the need to preach to others about it and I don't have any illusion that I'm morally superior for tweaking the lever here or there while maintaining the same overall lifestyle that directly led to the massive industrial growth of China in the first place. American manufacturing would be in a better state if we spent less time sitting around bitching about China. Our Chinese competitors certainly don't. And while I appreciate that you don't begrudge me my choices, you're still happy to casually throw out the implication that I'm doing something stupid and immoral. You know, just because. Whereas you're innocent because the thing you bought has a different country printed on the package.

For sure, I'd prefer a non-Chinese machine, for all the reasons mentioned in the thread including yours. When the time comes I'll get a Haas or Brother, no question, if they check all the boxes and can be found within the budget. I think I was reasonably comprehensive in addressing the potential risks/benefits in my last post. If I missed anything that would throw a wrench in the works, I'm all ears, but "boo hiss China bad" isn't helpful. It's not a productive area of discussion, creates pointless animosity, and dilutes relevant discussion. I don't look down on anyone for their choices along these lines because I understand that none of us are innocent in this and we're all doing our best based on the information and limitations we have. I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

Nah, I have no interest in stuff like that. You're absolutely right that I may not really need it enough to make it worth focusing on. For anything that I'd have an eye towards productizing, surfacing on machined components would be a no-go anyway. I was thinking more about urethane casting molds and machined plastic prototypes that would ultimately be injection molded. Which could also be 3D printed, but it's nice to have the option when 3D printer resin material properties don't cut it.

Otherwise it's pretty much what mhajicek said (aside from medical devices). Organic surfaces are pretty much a staple in most consumer products. A G1 fillet can be made with a radius tool. A G2 or G3 fillet could be made with custom tooling, but that only gets you so far. Even with custom tools a blended fillet would still require surfacing. Stuff like that.

It doesn't really need to be super fast, mainly I threw it in because my understanding from reading about it is that without the HSM option Haas will be absurdly slow, even if you don't need to do "real" surfacing work (e.g. production mold tooling). I don't really mind 2 hours vs. 1 hour. 10 hours vs 1 hour, or 20 hours vs 10 hours, on the other hand...

gkoenig you make some good points as well. All the reasons I really got an eye for a Speedio in the first place. I'd be happy to get one if I can get lucky and find one in the budget once I'm ready to pull the trigger.

That's not what I said. "Without diving into how much of the money goes where it's largely a feel-good measure" is what I said. I don't think you picked up what I was putting down. The label on the machine doesn't tell you the whole story about where your dollar goes. You're lucky if it tells you half. COO isn't especially informative and does not mean that 100% of that thing and all of its constituents were mined, processed, and assembled in country.

IDK if you got the memo, but the neoliberal managerial class notion of happy globalization just got nuked about 72 hours ago. Where you buy stuff matters. Who you partner with by sending your purchasing power into another country matters. Your supply chain matters.

We had a long period of time when the elite class had convinced us that these things didn't matter, and enriching some horrific places was OK, because wealth would make them better places. That elite class of Harvard/Yale/Stanford MBAs have been proven utterly fucking wrong. So wrong, I will be surprised if that class of people doesn't wind up with their heads on pikes by the end of the decade, given how shit is going.

In the meantime, go tell the Germans how it doesn't matter where they buy their gas from.

gkoenig you make some good points as well. All the reasons I really got an eye for a Speedio in the first place. I'd be happy to get one if I can get lucky and find one in the budget once I'm ready to pull the trigger.

A Speedio appears to be good fit. We just took delivery of an R650 last week.

Also, lots of ways to look at a budget. Buying cheap is always nice, but Speedios and Haases are in high demand right now. 40 week lead time on Minimills. So finding a deal right now might be exceedingly difficult.

When budgeting a piece of equipment, aside from available cash and potential cash flow, I also look at tax benefits and residual value. We bought four brand new Haas machines in late 2020 (two ST20Ys and two UMC500s) and all four of them are currently worth significantly more on the used market than what we paid for them (i.e. 6 figure delta in total). We have five more Haas machines arriving in the next two weeks. With high residual value, you're parking your money rather than spending it, and hopefully with a productive asset like a VMC, you're also making plenty of money on top.

As for tax benefits, in addition to depreciating your machine against your ordinary income, you can also write off interest, which makes financing more appealing.

All-in-all, the actual cost of buying a good VMC can be a lot less than the bottom line on the invoice. It really just depends on your situation.

Back