What's new
What's new

Can somebody recognize this unusual mystery all-metal vintage or antique lathe needle or pointer attachment for a lathe?

Romak

Aluminum
Dear machinists! I have this unusual all-metal attachment with a needle or a pointer and I believe it is from an antique or vintage lathe. Does anybody know what this is properly called and maybe for what type of machinery this attachment was designed for?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9510.JPG
    IMG_9510.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9511.JPG
    IMG_9511.JPG
    1,008 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9512.JPG
    IMG_9512.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9514.JPG
    IMG_9514.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9516.JPG
    IMG_9516.JPG
    962.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9520.JPG
    IMG_9520.JPG
    944.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9521.JPG
    IMG_9521.JPG
    945 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9522.JPG
    IMG_9522.JPG
    999.8 KB · Views: 73
Its called a surface gage and used on a surface plate. The sharp end can be used to scratch a line or transfer a point to a precision rule to measure and item or feature. Can also be set up to hold and indicator.
Dave

Also called a scribing block. It can sit on a flat surface or astride a cylindrical work piece. Yours appears to be chrome plated - if it is, it's the first I have seen - and has no maker's marks, so I suspect is is hand-made. It was a common apprentice piece - I still have both mine and my father's.

George

Rivett 608 member of this forum has posted pictures of his collection of surface gages on this forum and can probably identify who made yours if it isn't shop made if nobody else does .
This picture from his website is easier to see
Providing some measurements would be helpful.
It looks much like a small L.S. Starrett one I have that someone on this forum Identified the model number for me a long time ago .
I can't find the thread at the moment and don't remember the number.
The only identification on mine is a small stamp mark near the base of the post L.S. Starrett Atholl Mass. Patented Mar. 17 , 1899
Yours doesn't have the two pins in the base on the back end that can be pushed out to follow an edge that mine has .
Yours must be a different model if it is a Starrett and not a shop made copy or copy by another manufacturer .
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3036.JPG
    IMG_3036.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    729.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3038.JPG
    IMG_3038.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Also called a scribing block. It can sit on a flat surface or astride a cylindrical work piece. Yours appears to be chrome plated - if it is, it's the first I have seen - and has no maker's marks, so I suspect is is hand-made. It was a common apprentice piece - I still have both mine and my father's.

George
Fantastic George!!! It is so nice you noticed sich details!!!

These were often set as apprentices test pieces ...........and its possible someone wanted to preserve a son or fathers work with chrome plate............50 years ago chrome plating was very cheap ,before the EPA.

These were often set as apprentices test pieces ...........and its possible someone wanted to preserve a son or fathers work with chrome plate............50 years ago chrome plating was very cheap ,before the EPA.
Not only cheap, but very fashionable from its introduction in the 1930s. Looks amazing, no need to clean and polish. What's not to like?

George

I think someone just spent time with buffing wheel on it. It look to me like it still has some of the original scale on it. If it has some chrome on it, that would be like lipstick on a pig.
JC

Nothing unfortunate. It has not been cleaned at all. The shiny surface is chrome.
It is hard to tell bare polished steel from chrome plated polished steel in a photo. But it is quite obvious in the photos that this surface gage base was rusty before it was polished. In other words, I suspect it was not brand new, whoever made it, before it was plated.

My first encounter with a metal lathe was in 1953 in 8th grade shop class. I made an all steel cross pein machinist hammer with a filed square head and a handle turned and knurled in a 9" South Bend lathe. The head was case hardened in the gas furnace in the shop. A boy in the class offered to have my hammer chrome plated along with his by some relative with the right connections. It did look cool. Until I used the hammer to make and repair flint arrowheads and found the case hardening was not very hard or thick and rounded over a corner of the head.

Larry

My first encounter with a metal lathe was in 1953 in 8th grade shop class. I made an all steel cross pein machinist hammer with a filed square head and a handle turned and knurled in a 9" South Bend lathe. The head was case hardened in the gas furnace in the shop. A boy in the class offered to have my hammer chrome plated along with his by some relative with the right connections. It did look cool. Until I used the hammer to make and repair flint arrowheads and found the case hardening was not very hard or thick and rounded over a corner of the head.

Larry
Dad told me that he made a wood-handled cross-pein hammer when he was an apprentice. He proudly took it home to show to his grandfather who was an engine smith. Grandfather hefted it and said "Hmm.. balance is all wrong" and handed it back with no further explanation. I never met him, but I understand that he was a peppery old gent! I remember the hammer from when I was little - I presume one of my brothers inherited it.

Back