What's new
What's new

Can you check for tool breakage with a tool setter arm in a lathe?

Petergun

Aluminum
Has any one used a tool setter arm to check for tool breakage in a lathe program? Fanuc 18 control, Daewoo lathe. We would like to avoid the expense of a Renishaw if we can. Thanks

I have never done it, but just guessing it would be really slow..? Usually, a tool setter (disc, laser, etc) is stationary and the tool just touches it. With a lathe setting arm, the arm has to be extended and retracted which takes time*. Maybe nitpicking, or there are other types, but it doesn't seem efficient.

* familiar with the one on a Haas lathe which is slow

I haven't used the tool eye in a G code program, but there are M codes on my Mazak QTU-200MSY to extend and retract the arm, so I believe it is possible.

Lol... I bet he's wanting to skip pulling a visual on it.

Not saying I'd know how to pull it off but it seems one could write a macro to touch the setter then compare numbers to within a certain range or deviation and shut it down if its out too far.

You ever tried to move your machine in MDI via G0 G1 with the setter down? Might have some safety shit to get around first, I don't think ours will do much of anything with the setter arm down.

Your machine have a load meter? Aren't they for catching tool breakage and stuff like this?

Brent

.......You ever tried to move your machine in MDI via G0 G1 with the setter down? Might have some safety shit to get around first, I don't think ours will do much of anything with the setter arm down.

Yep, the operation modes available when a touch setter is extended is controlled by the machine builder's ladder logic. If the arm is manually operated, then it is most common that Auto, MDI, and Tape will be disabled and only manual modes allowed.

If the arm has M-codes to extend/retract then usually all modes are allowed. If the OP's machine is set up this way then a macro to compare old and new data would not be very hard to implement if it did not already have the ability. I've seen touch routines with both tool setting and tool breakage check. Setting an address to 1 or 0 determined which function was performed.

Back