What's new
What's new

David Pond lathe

brott2179

Plastic
Lathe moves freely, hasnt been used in years, it is 8ft long. Other than that i don't have much info on it. Any guess at a value, i have tried to look, but have come up short.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204_173855_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_173855_Messenger.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20231204_173832_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_173832_Messenger.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20231204_173837_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_173837_Messenger.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20231204_173813_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_173813_Messenger.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20231204_173808_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_173808_Messenger.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 99
I dislike giving values.
Without seeing the lathe in person, for condition, a value is hard to say.
The value is what someone is willing to pay for it.
The OP is in Indiana.
The question is, is the OP looking to sell this or buy it.
The lathe was made before 1878 when the design changed.
Probably it is around 1875. Ad from 1874 of a smaller David Pond lathe.

Rob

Attachments

• Pond. D.W. ad 1874.jpg
    Pond. D.W. ad 1874.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 6
I was looking to purchase this lathe, but only found 1 that sold on ebay for $800.

Ebay sold prices tend to be on the higher end for some reason. I tend to knock at least 30-40% off ebay sold prices to get a 'real world' estimate. I've sold some stuff there that ended up getting bid up to an insane amount - several times what I was expecting.

I was looking to purchase this lathe...
Scrap iron is $87/ton. Perhaps that lathe weighs 2-3 tons? Doesn't matter. Your payment should be a nominal amount over scrap value, maybe $200-300 total.

Your true payment to the seller is safely removing the lathe from their property. The machine is not in an active shop, so the seller wants it gone. Maybe they are selling the property or just bought it. Doesn't matter why. You save them a removal fee if you take the lathe. They will be ecstatic if you take the overhead shafting and motor too. For that matter, take anything and everything that looks, smells, or feels like it could possibly go with the lathe. Gears, metal stock, oil, clamps, hand tools, etc. The more you take, the happier the seller should be.

If the seller wants more money, then wait them out. They need the lathe gone more than they need money. In the meantime, you may find a better deal in better condition.

Before you say yes, make sure you can remove that beast safely without damaging the building, yourself, or your buddies. Visit the site and bring a smart friend. You may wish to check with your insurance agent too...

Tom

A few things to keep in mind...
There are very few "collectors" for items that you need a forklift to move.
Big lathes are worth less than small ones, precisely because of that. A similar, but smaller (like could be dismantled and carried in a pickup truck) will be both easier to sell and probably worth twice as much.
That lathe, as interesting as it is, is far too old for any industrial application. It can only go to a hobbiest and there aren't a lot of them that have the room for a big machine.

IMO the age of that lathe makes it worth whatever hassle is implied to keep it out of the scrap pile, however I agree with the others that the monetary value should be no more than a little over scrap value (keeps the owner from scrapping it himself or selling it to the nearest crack-head).

Now, If you're interested in it it begs the question what for? If you're like me and want to save a little piece of history that still has some practical value (more than just being a heavy thing to bury in your flowerbed), this is your lathe. If you're just getting into machining and are looking for a practical machine to cut threads and making bushings..... you likely could do that on this one but there's a good chance something more suited to you needs is close by. Indiana isn't a machine desert like some places.

This lathe is a lot like a Model T (more like a horse and buggy to be honest). It certainly has value. It can get you from one point to another and you'll have a blast doing it, but you can also do the same with a Toyota Corolla.

This lathe is a lot like a Model T (more like a horse and buggy to be honest). It certainly has value. It can get you from one point to another and you'll have a blast doing it, but you can also do the same with a Toyota Corolla.
This lathe is heavier than either a Model T or my Corolla. It's more like a buying a WW 1 vintage Liberty Truck.

Brott, we're interested and pulling for you. We also want you to have a few dollars left when/if the lathe gets to your shop, because that's when the fun begins.

Tom

It's very well worth saving and there are plenty of members of this forum that use machines that old regularly...I guess our main focus is urging you to not spend too much on it. Getting these old machines up and running is an adventure but often includes expenses you can't anticipate.

Back