What's new
What's new

Drill Manufacturer Recommend

Houdini

Titanium
OK, I asked this about a year a go and didn't get any good answers, so lets try again.
We currently are doing 100% Aluminum So I have only been buying Cobalt drills, no carbide.

I was buying all my drills, spot drills...from Wedevag(Swedish made)
Someone bought the company, and I guess ran it into the ground, and it closed.

I have some Minimills so I like getting shorter drills most the time.

I was getting jobber(standard), mechanic(between jobber and screw), and screw length.
6XD, 4XD, 2.5XD relative lengths.@ 130° TIN

They also had some non standard spot drills I needed for some of our parts metric, 5/32...

Laser marked only, NO stamping.

Can anyone recommend a new drill manufacturer?

Because we get some YG-1 stuff I tried a pack of the parabolic jobbers for Aluminum, they walked like crazy, I know spot, but on a drill on the Wedevag's they didn't walk(bonus).

Wedevag pdf.

Last edited:
This won't go down well with some but I use a Chinese supplier that makes my end mills etc. If you want the contact PM me. I did order 10 of each size in 0.1 mm increments from 1 mm to 10 mm to get a competitive price.

This won't go down well with some but I use a Chinese supplier that makes my end mills etc. If you want the contact PM me. I did order 10 of each size in 0.1 mm increments from 1 mm to 10 mm to get a competitive price.
Interesting thanks!

PTD's 135* split point CO drills work very well in almost anything, even Ti. They come in stub and aircraft lengths too and are not expensive.

Attachments

• PTD CO pg.106 single.pdf
    210.7 KB · Views: 21
It's probably snobby, but I only buy Emuge taps now, just had way better luck even though they are $$$
and have a couple pieces of Guhring and OSG do these guys make good drills and US sizes, anyone know off hand?

PTD's 135* split point CO drills work very well in almost anything, even Ti. They come in stub and aircraft lengths too and are not expensive.
What is the brand name?, I see it has a Precision logo on the page but no brand name?

Not the answer you want, but I buy whatever Mcmaster has.

Split point Cobalt ussually short length. Never had any issues. But then I probably don't drill as many holes as you and don't push them hard.

I'm lazy
My buying habits are lazy (mcm 1st option)
and my machines are lazy and in no hurry (semi retired Fadals)

For years the Precision Twist Drill company was the main supplier of drills for the company I worked for. They employed about 1,800 people in Rhinelander Wisconsin for decades. Whenever I would be in the area, I would stop in the company store and purchase anywhere from a dozen to a hundred drills. Sadly, the place was bought out by Sandvik, and closed down in 1997.
I haven't purchased any of their products for about a year or so, but as far as I know they still make quality drills at reasonable prices. I prefer their products over many other brands.

It's probably snobby, but I only buy Emuge taps now, just had way better luck even though they are $$$
and have a couple pieces of Guhring and OSG do these guys make good drills and US sizes, anyone know off hand?

I started trying higher end drills a few years ago and was impressed with the longevity, Saved $ in the long run. I use OSG, YG-1, and Guhring usually. OSG is more $ and YG-1 are pretty cheap.

YG-1 has these screw machine length parabolic m35 cobalt drills that I really like in AL. Pretty cheap overall. https://www.suncoasttools.com/crm/ItemPage.aspx?ItemNumber=3204.76++++514012+YG&VendorNumber=YG1TOOL

I like drillco and Viking hss (Vikings are stamped)
Starting to become a carbide drill convert if it is med/big job.
Mari or ultra tool drills are not that expensive (20-49 usd per).
Aqua or crazy drill if you are running production. These things are scarey to watch when you first use them.

Back