What's new
What's new

DS&G lathe

Here is a starting point to address the point that Michael Moore made saying “usually the oiler supplied by DSG is long gone…”

Stephens Lubrication in the UK is a great help here. http://www.stephenslube.co.uk/

The Hydraulic Oil Nipples that my 1960 Type 17 DSG uses are 1/8-28 BSPT and are the HP2 items on the Grease Nipples page.
http://www.stephenslube.co.uk/grease_nipples.asp
Repeated use causes the nipples to wear and leak when using the oil gun. Replacing them is very simple.

I use the 31961 Telescopic Hand Gun from the Stephens Lubrication – Wanner Lubrication Equipment page.
http://www.stephenslube.co.uk/wanner_lubrication.asp
It comes the 38410 brass concave nozzle, also available separately on that page, that interfaces with the HP2 hydraulic oil nipples.

As Michael Moore said, use these to lubricate that lathe with OIL ONLY! The motor bearings are the only place on my lathe that actually uses grease, and North American grease guns work fine for that.

Thanks Dutch, this machine is definitely a fair bit longer then 48 between centres so ya it would probably be 9-10,000 pounds area,

, I probably will move this thing eventually but my first step will be to evaluate it on the spot, I need to know what I’m up against,

So I recently had a good look at this thing and discovered that it’s got TONS of wear on it so I’m abandoning the idea of a refurb, the bed has an astonishing 55 thou of wear so it’s a no go but I’m gonna salvage everything I can like chucks,taper attachment, ( anyone interested? It’s all there) live Center and so on, i understand it’s a very expensive option on these lathes, I’m gonna save all the levers and handwheel for my recently for my recently acquired CMC 20 “ lathe, I’m sending you guys some pictures to see what you think if this is a worthwhile project, it was free which is always a good thing, everything is there three /four jaw chuck-18” nearly new, on a 3 inch threaded spindle ( which I don’t like) taper attachment, backlash is surprisingly little, bed wear is around 10 thou, I’m thinking it’s from 1915 era according to my research,
Spindle bearings are bronze , can only detect half a thou of slop but would be cleaned up and eliminated, it has hand wheels, broken, planning to replace them with the chrome ones from the DSG, would like something newer, but I have a thing for this one since it’s 110 years old and in restorable shape, the thing is built like a rock, what do you guys think? Thanks for replying

Attachments

• IMG_1883.jpeg
    IMG_1883.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1888.jpeg
    IMG_1888.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1885.jpeg
    IMG_1885.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
The tapered off edge on the tail stock is a factory thing, for 1915 error it has surprising functions like power cross feed,taper ,quick change gearbox, i’m thinking it was quite nice to it’s time

If you're going to break the old DSG, then pull off any parts that get broken or wear out.
Tailstock barrel, screw, nut.
The feed gearbox should come off fairly easily, leadscrew and power shaft.
Change gears obviously and banjo.
The flange mounted motor if its good.
Clutches out the headstock if they are good.
Keep the compound, its surprising how many otherwise good lathes are missing theirs or they have be badly crashed and it could be made to fit a different lathe.

The DSG has simply too much wear to attempt a restoration,55 thou bed wear, crazy, like I mentioned in earlier post I will salvage a lot of parts if possible before it goes to the scrap yard, anyone need something in particular? Follow rest, TAPER ATTACHMENT!!??? Tail stock? I’m planning to maybe replace the broken handwheel and levers on the 110 year old CMC machine, who knows

Back