What's new
What's new

Eastwood QST 30/60 air compressor

Well that’s some hard data, thanks for posting.
Kind of a bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I dispute the sentiment that running a compressor full delivery /12hr a day is 'Hard on it".....should not have the least detriment to properly rated components,especially a motor of correct rating and tem rise spec......On most industrial compressors there is a limit on how many times an hour they can be started ...starting is the producer of excessive heat,not running with full air flow from the fan.....A rotary must also have a over temp (oil) shutdown....as I mentioned ,the discharge is a froth of hot oil,ideal conditions for a fire/explosion if for instance ,a bearing in the unit seizes/fails.

Zero spares is also typical of Chinese production...every bit goes into saleable units ,not to sitting on a shelf as dead money....Generally ,with a high demand item,spares will have to be from a cannabilized stock unit....With one typically faulty component,the distributor quickly arrives at a warehouse full of dead stock.

Well that’s some hard data, thanks for posting.
Kind of a bummer!

Not in my opinion. Seems like the guy bought an Eastwood when he should have bought a Kaeser or Atlas-Copco.

If you need a full blown industrial compressor then buy one, but don't bitch when you cheap out and it doesn't measure up the same.

Not in my opinion. Seems like the guy bought an Eastwood when he should have bought a Kaeser or Atlas-Copco.

If you need a full blown industrial compressor then buy one, but don't bitch when you cheap out and it doesn't measure up the same.
In his defense it is marketed, and pretty much priced, as a full blown industrial compressor.

This machine probably was an early one, he said it was different when the replacement came. Someone else also mentioned the early ones did have some problems but thought they were taken care of. And as john k just mentioned, how often did it start up, running a shop and sand blast?

Why are we again discussing chinese junk? Need a lot of air get a kaeser, I have one and will hook it up one day. I have a Saylor Beall 5hp, a 2 cylinder behemoth about 2' tall, all cast iron on top of a 80 gallon tank that it fills in a few minutes. It only runs about 800 RPM. It keeps up with hours of sandblasting with no problems. It was used when I bought it 15 years ago and has required nothing but electricity since. It is like the difference between a grizzly and a Monarch.

Well,MM ,a loss of $2k on a machine is too much for a great many small operations.....When you are just starting off ,you tend to be too trusting of glossy marketing.....and no where near suspicious enough ,or cynical enough to survive in the world of liars cheats and nincompoops who seem to sell new machinery nowdays...As we have seen in this forum,buying new USA made doesnt mean you arent getting a lemon ,(ref Curtis compressor is NBG report)

It may be Chinese junk, but I'm willing to take a risk on it so I'll see if it works in my favor.

If this offends too many, I can have the thread locked.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I should have been more clear-

It’s a bummer for me personally, because the use that was described is how I would use it, and I was hoping this compressor was the answer .

It may still be, this seems to be an isolated case if the rest of the reviews can be believed . There can’t be that many more of these compressors out there....yet

It may be Chinese junk, but I'm willing to take a risk on it so I'll see if it works in my favor.

If this offends too many, I can have the thread locked.

Don’t take it personally dude. I’m seriously glad you posted it.

Made in China doesn’t mean just crap these days , despite all noise that comes from the “Made in Usa” crowd.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a vet (submarines not dogs) and try my best to buy made in USA tools, but I’m not rich and unfortunately have to go with best bang for the buck. , sometimes (like the Fadal I just bought) I need to buy Older iron and put some sweat equity into it.

Might be the case with a compressor, I may buy a used one with some life left in it, but sometimes it’s nice buying something that works out of the box, which is why I am excited about this compressor.

Definitely keep updating this thread, it will help me and I’m sure others in the same boat.

Last edited:
Im also quite interested in this compressor.
In a small space that doesnt reqire air for more than spindle purge and toolchanges, quiet is key.\

Currently running a 1961 quincy 325-7 that is literally bombproof. But the sound and vibration (its wall mounted, cause thats all the space I have for it) is getting old.

Ive been looking at quincy scrolls, but pricing is out my my range. Found the chinese manufacturer for quincy and atlas copco, they straight up told me! And their pricing was "FU buddy". $9800 USD without tank, air drier, or shipping!

Im waiting on pricing from local DVair and Kaeser dealers, but im not holding my breath.

Hence my interest in the eastwood unit.

Don’t take it personally dude. I’m seriously glad you posted it.

Made in China doesn’t mean just crap these days , despite all noise that comes from the “Made in Usa” crowd.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a vet (submarines not dogs) and try my best to buy made in USA tools, but I’m not rich and unfortunately have to go with best bang for the buck. , sometimes (like the Fadal I just bought) I need to buy Older iron and put some sweat equity into it.

Might be the case with a compressor, I may buy a used one with some life left in it, but sometimes it’s nice buying something that works out of the box, which is why I am excited about this compressor.

Definitely keep updating this thread, it will help me and I’m sure others in the same boat.

I don't intend to come off as taking it personally, I'm not.

I thoroughly agree with all of the points you stated- it's nice to not have to always dog through bone piles in search of gems.

Like I said, this may be a POS, but I'm willing to gamble on it because I think it shows promise.

I'll keep you in the loop.

A little over a year ago, I was finally plumbing my shop for air lines, using the Rapidair stuff. The compressor- a 3HP Campbell Hausfeld on a 60 gallon tank- used to sit off in the corner of the shop, and when it ran, you almost had to shout to be understood.

The Eastwood had more or less just came out by that point, and despite the cost I toyed with the idea of getting one. My air demands are minimal and I'm sure it would have been more than adequate.

But, I ended up moving the compressor to an attached shed/storage area (insulated and partly heated, it's not "outside") and running the new air lines in from there.

It's now very quiet. I believe much of that comes from the soft walls of the corner the compressor is in- just exposed and vapor-barriered insulation, no plywood or drywall. Lots of junk on the store room to break up and block the sound, too.

I can barely hear it when it kicks on- and that's assuming the radio isn't on. :D

Anyway, if you're looking to quiet down a compressor, that's an option- along with other tricks like intake silencers, rubber feet, etc.

Doc.

The cause of noise with a recip compressor is speed ,slow the machine ,cut the noise exponentially......However ,you then need a bigger pump,which takes up more space...Anyone dismayed by the noise of their unit should first find a setup where an big old pump is run at ,say ,350 rpm......all you get is suction noise ,which can be annoying,but can also be easily silenced......A friend of mine had a 10hp Broomwade twin setup for bead blasting under his house.....this is a heavy cast iron unit on a tank......the noise was quite low,certainly you knew it was running,but talking on the telephone was not impacted ,nor was any noise apparent in the timber construction house above ...........Noise comes from high speed,lightweight alloy cylinders and heads ,with fins amplifying ,and small noisy valves .If you want a really quiet recip unit,the old Broomwade sleeve valve units are near silent.

Fixed it for ya......

I think that the issue here, who said anything about needing lots of air?? People want this compressor because it’s:
A) very quiet
B) relatively cheap( we don’t all work for huge companies with unlimited budgets)
C) puts out enough air for a small shop

How are you making out with this compressor? Got any hours on it yet?
My 30 year old Craftsman crapped out last week, it’s literally got a ty-rap holding the centrifugal switch in place :)
I was surprised to see that a Porter Cable pancake will keep my Fadal up:)

Back