What's new
What's new

Face milling safe with quick change spindle?

ck.mecha

Plastic
I apologize in advance, I have searched but I am likely not using the right terminology to find existing answers.

I work as an engineer at a manufacturing company and when I started I inherited a BP Series II that looks to have some sort of quick change tool holder. When I began there were a few fixed diameter end mill holders, NMTB-40 style. I also purchased an NMTB-40 to ER32 collet chuck. Because we only do slight modifications, and not frequently, this has worked for what we need.

But now we need to face mill for an application and Im questioning if its safe to use one with this quick change apparatus, without a draw bar. Ive inspected the mill, and it appears the spindle does not have a through hole, and we have no draw bars in any of our tooling. I personally have never worked with a mill that did not have a draw bar so I appreciate any insights into exactly what I have, and if its safe to use period but more specifically with a face mill (2" dia)

Attachments

• PXL_20230215_160134147.jpg
    PXL_20230215_160134147.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
That looks like what is called an Erickson Quick Change Spindle. To use it to its design extent, you need to use Erickson Quick Change Qualified holders. They can look just like 40 NMTB holders, but they have a controlled distance between I believe the gauge line and the lower face of the tools flange.

If you look inside the nut and see something like this, it's an Erickson.

Erickson Ring.JPG

Edit In: Been awhile, but I swear I was able to succesfully use some 40 NMTB holders in this spindle.

Yes, that looks like an Erickson spindle. You should be fine with a face mill, use the spanner wrench to tighten / loosen the tool holder while holding the spindle brake, or put it in back gear if the brake won't hold while using the spanner wrench. Nothing wrong with Erickson, it used to be quite popular as a replacement for R8 with is not quick change.

Erickson QC30 are perfectly capable of handling a 2 inch face mill, that QC40 should be able to handle a 4 inch face mill easy, the only thing to watch out for is the internal ring pictured above has a tendency to crack and not work dependably, then eventually not at all as far as holding tools goes.

Back