What's new
What's new

Favourite holder for straight shank indexables?

ManualEd

Stainless
The new Okuma M600V big plus 50 taper, 12k, is mostly setup, and holders are packed in the machine instead of on every bench I own.

I have a few straight shank high feed mills (1 ¼"Ø cutter and shank) and some APKT shoulder mills with ¾" and 1" shanks.

Endmill/u-drill holders from my local supplier are roughly the same price as hydraulics from Frank. (And I have to order a bunch of SK collets from Frank anyways)
Milling chucks are ~$800-$1000CAD depending.

OrangeVise has mentioned he uses a hydraulic for some high feed mills, so I'm leaning towards picking up a couple more for the indexables.

Any issues with indexable in hydraulic holders long term, or any other styles worth looking at?

Indexables can be a bit hard on hydraulic holders if you're pushing them, especially high feeds. It's pretty common to see fretting on the outer edge of the bore right on the edge of the collapse zone. I actually broke a 20mm shank 22mm diameter Sandvik R210 right at the front of the bore of a Corochuck 930. I was working it hard, I think the fretting eventually precipitated a fracture and it broke off. The 930 actually survived the experience.

I tend to keep the hydraulics for solids and precision tools, and run the straight shank indexables (I tend to prefer modular shank indexables, so I don't actually have many straight shank ones) in basic ER40 holders.

Power milling chuck with roller bearing locking. big, robust, affordable, good runout, better rigidity than er by a country mile
I am totally not sold on milling chucks. On a 50 taper the benefit over ER40 or TG100 is marginal at best, and on 40 taper they are objectively worse because of the gauge length.

Maritool hydraulics for aluminum cutting indexables.

Sidelocks for high feed. Runout doesn't really matter, and you're only talking several tenths anyway.

Milling chucks are still great for custom length (chopped shank) indexables.

For 2" indexables, hard to beat CAT50 to capto.

Yes, Capto is what I was getting at and my preferred method for indexables. Obviously it's not viable across the board and small capto backend tools are prohibitively expensive compared to straight shank ones.

I like screw on tools for smaller indexables, I have quite a lot of Tungaloy DoFeed in the 16-35mm range on screw on shank.

Sidelocks are perfectly fine for the purpose too, but indexables rarely come with weldon flats and you have to cut them yourself which is a nuisance, hardly a deal breaker though.

I still don't get the attraction to milling chucks, I have not found a tangible improvement over ER40 for shanks up to 25mm and 468E collets for shanks up to 40mm. The few milling chucks I have are very rarely used.

I personally would use milling chucks if the size does not interfere with you. Hydraulic chucks need a pretty tight tolerance shank to get the most gripping power. I've seen guys pull feed mills out, and some HHS shanks are a little sketchy in the tolerance department.

I personally would use milling chucks if the size does not interfere with you. Hydraulic chucks need a pretty tight tolerance shank to get the most gripping power. I've seen guys pull feed mills out, and some HHS shanks are a little sketchy in the tolerance department.
Not doubting you, but without a helix, how are they "pulling out" high feed mills??

I'm with Orange though, I'd go with sidelock, or milling chuck.

Glad this came up. I've been really curious about what holders to use for different applications. I have a job coming up with some deep pockets in titanium. 5" deep. I have a 1.0 dia. raptor mini feed mill sticking out 5.1" in a 2 screw, sidelock holder. I'm torn between that and a hydraulic holder. If I am running low rpm is this the sidelock to winner?

Beyond that I have a 5 flute 3/4" rougher with 5.6" stick out in sidelock holders. They are running under 2500 rpm. I figured the solid sidelock holder was the move rather than a hydraulic. Anything I'm missing?

Not doubting you, but without a helix, how are they "pulling out" high feed mills??

I'm with Orange though, I'd go with sidelock, or milling chuck.
Sloppy tolerances on the shank. We measured an Iscar HHS shank with a modular Hitachi head that pulled out and it was only .0005" smaller. That was enough to wiggle out. We do have some aggressive guys doing the roughing by the way.

Sloppy tolerances on the shank. We measured an Iscar HHS shank with a modular Hitachi head that pulled out and it was only .0005" smaller. That was enough to wiggle out. We do have some aggressive guys doing the roughing by the way. I have pulled regular endmills from them as well, they are my least favorite tool for holding power.

Back