What's new
What's new

Feedback requested in a Schaublin 160 for sale.

That machine is in Québec City, been looking at the ad on and off. Thanks for additional pics. I'll stick with our little Harrison VS330 instead, easier to live with.

Last edited:
I've been down the rabbit hole or building a 240-600v transformer to run a lathe only to find the multispeed motor only worked partially. That lathe may be a good project for someone who knows electrics and can replace the motor with a vfd, assuming the variator works. There is a thread here about rehabbing a Schaublin and while an outstanding machine if the ways are good, the job isn't for the faint hearted. Dave

I’m not familiar with the 160 (I recently purchased 135 that I’m rebuilding). From what I read, it seems you must closely inspect it and assuming the mechanical condition is acceptable for you, you need to accept that you might need to go into electrical project. Might be that one of the motor speeds is faulty and you will have to re-wind the motor in worst case. I would not buy it w/o close inspection.

You certainly do have to either take a leap of faith because its a Schaublin (I did that) or be sensible and check and decide worst case what is required to get it working, cost it out as you can still get prices from Schaublin for key spares and then double that cost as a minimum!!! - if the numbers add up then push the button, I'm no engineer and my 135 needed work mainly around the Variator, was able to convert this along with a friend but still grappling with a high speed selector issue which is electrical and documented on another thread here on this forum - the issue still remains but probably down to my RFC and not the lathe but it's frustrating none the less.

These machines are a bit like an old Land Rover 90 or 110, I say a bit as the engineering on a 90/110 is a million miles from the quality and over-engineering of a Schaublin but they bring a smile to your face every time you look at them, even when they are not working :)

That in itself is enough for me.

You certainly do have to either take a leap of faith because its a Schaublin (I did that) or be sensible and check and decide worst case what is required to get it working, cost it out as you can still get prices from Schaublin for key spares and then double that cost as a minimum!!! - if the numbers add up then push the button, I'm no engineer and my 135 needed work mainly around the Variator, was able to convert this along with a friend but still grappling with a high speed selector issue which is electrical and documented on another thread here on this forum - the issue still remains but probably down to my RFC and not the lathe but it's frustrating none the less.

These machines are a bit like an old Land Rover 90 or 110, I say a bit as the engineering on a 90/110 is a million miles from the quality and over-engineering of a Schaublin but they bring a smile to your face every time you look at them, even when they are not working :)

I have the US spec 110. Looking at the panel gaps I thought to myself LR didn't have a quality control department.

Nope but it was all about 'hand built' and that covered a multitude of sins, still an icon and easy to fix and work on so thats the attraction - at least spares are not as expensive as Swiss machinery!

I'm taking the leap of faith. Probably end up regretting it but here we go.

Also looking forward to the thread...... :)

Blatent request from me - does anyone have a 135 following rest for sale or knows of one, or can lend me one to copy the dimensions so I can make one?

Congrats and good luck. Regarding the voltage, if you already have three phase with the necessary power, you could use a three phase auto-transformer to change the voltage.

Back