What's new
What's new

General oiling, detergent or non-detergent oil

Bill D

Diamond
For general oiling using a pump oil can does it make any difference if the oil is detergent or non-detergent. This is for low speed stuff like the lead screw tailstock end bearing. I doubt the temeprature is high enough for any detergent action to occur. The new oil would probably wash out any sludge anyway. Will detergent oil run off faster?
Bill D

Motor oils are designed to be hydrophilic to prevent internal rusting. The absorbed water is then expelled thru the crankcase ventilation when the oil heats up. I agree with Conrad. Why not use slide or spindle oil?

What I use for most ordinary household oiling (like door hinges) is Vactra #2 way oil.

What I use for oilite motor bearings (as in box fans) is ISO 22 spindle oil, typically Mobile DTE.

For general oiling using a pump oil can does it make any difference if the oil is detergent or non-detergent. This is for low speed stuff like the lead screw tailstock end bearing. I doubt the temeprature is high enough for any detergent action to occur. The new oil would probably wash out any sludge anyway. Will detergent oil run off faster?
Bill D
Okay, here is what USUALLY happens. While you are thinking about getting the right oil,spindle oil? hi speed? low speed? ball bearing ? Plain bearing, Will the oil disolve the tin ,bronze? Your air conditioner blows up ,andnothing gets oiled for the rest of the year. In other words ,any oil is good oil.

I like the idea of full syntehtic motor oil for this general use. My theory is it will not dry out and make a greasy mess. Silicone oil has no vapor pressure so it never dries out. I no longer have any vaccum pump oil which had a very low vapor pressure, obviously.
Bill D

Bill D
"Extra Virgin"...Olive oil.

Mobil DTE 24, 25 or 26. ISO 32, 46, 68 respectively. High performance hydraulic oil with EP and anti-wear additives. Good moisture tolerance, anti-corrosion properties and copper compatibility. An excellent general purpose machine oil.

Last edited:
In my experience, detergent oils will leave a gummy residue behind from the detergent when there's no heat in the system. The detergent aspect of it is that they are designed to hold onto debris in a circulating environment so they can be filtered out via an inline filter. In a total loss system, it just isn't necessary. I agree any oil is better than nothing, but ND oil is often cheaper (just not always available at your local auto-store franchise of choice).

IMO, there's room for speculation if all the different additives and "high tech" stuff really does anything necessary, but I still like to stick with the OEM recommended weights and types of oil (spindle oil in spindles, way oil on ways, heavy oils in big slow stuff, light oil in small quick stuff, etc. etc. etc.)

Mobil Velocite for spindles, DTE for general lubrication, Vactra for slideways.

As for the high tech additives, it depends on your application as to whether or not you will see any benefit. If you're dealing with red metal parts for instance, there are definitely some oils to avoid as they will actually attack the copper in the alloy. Eureka's Fluid Film, for instance. Ask me how I know. Same logic applies to rolling element bearings, slideways, etc. For instance, would never use hydraulic oil on a slideway, or conversely a slideway oil in a rolling element bearing.

Specific additives for specific tasks... general additives for general tasks.

Mobil DTE 24, 25 or 26. ISO 32, 46, 68 respectively. High performance hydraulic oil with EP and anti-wear additives. Good moisture tolerance, anti-corrosion properties and copper compatibility. An excellent general purpose machine oil.
Where did you get that about EP additives? Nowhere does Exxon Mobil claim that. Surprisingly they are adding zinc dithiodiphosphate family additives. This actually removes it from turbine use by most users. Turbine oils must shed water rapidly and the ZDDP carries it just about forever without enough heat to drive it out.

Back