What's new
What's new

Haimer 3D Probe Tip : making new ones ??

dazz

Stainless
Hi
I purchased an imperial Mini Haimer 3D probe in new condition. It is identical to the image except it is missing the tip.
Replacement tips are available locally at about $USD137. I could import one from the USA or Europe but international shipping time is too slow and cost is too high.

I have looked at making a tip and found this YT video: Making a replacement Haimer Tip
but I don't have the remains of a broken tip to work with.

I am now looking at making a number of tips, and if I do that, I might as well make a range of different length tips. Then if I break one, I will have a replacement on hand. If I make a range of lengths, the gauge will be more versatile.

The first problem is my Haimer is imperial and came with a 0.20" ball.
I could start with a tooling ball but it would have much the same problems at an original Haimer tip plus being nearly the same price.

The next option is to start off with a SS ball bearing. 0.200" are unobtainable here but the nearest size is 5mm (0.197"). I can correct for that by adjusting the length of the tip.

So if I start with a 5mm SS304 ball (easy to get), the first thing I would need to do is make it look like a tooling ball. Drill a hole most of the way through and then insert a pin.

First Question: What would be the recommended method of attaching the pin to the ball. I am thinking of using Loctite.

The YT video uses a 3D printed tip base but I am not sure that will be good enough to be able to swap tips without recalibrating.
I see one of the advantages of making a range of tips is to swap tips of different lengths mid job. Maybe I am overthinking this.

I am thinking of using aluminium tip bases to help achieve uncalibrated tip swaps.

I know I will need to make a fixture that holds the tip base, graphite leads and ball in the correct relative positions.

The DIY approach will allow me to make tips for less than $1 plus time. Using different diameter balls will allow me to use a range of metric ball to give valid inch readings. Each size of ball will require the tip to be a different length, a good thing.

Second Question: Is there a better way?

Edit: The image attachments don't seem to be working.

Dazz

Attachments

• 32897-Haimer-Zero-Master-Imperial-IMG-2174-1406037548.jpg
    32897-Haimer-Zero-Master-Imperial-IMG-2174-1406037548.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 45
  • tool-balls-inch.20510r.jpg
    tool-balls-inch.20510r.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 42
Damn, talk about price markup, here in the states they go for less than $50.

Yeah I know. The markups are based on what they can charge, not what the item is worth. If you need a new probe tip this week, and can't wait 1 to 6 months to import one yourself, then $USD137 is a good deal.

OK I think I may have found a better frangible material than graphite.

Ceramic tube is available in a range of sizes at an affordable price.
I just need to figure out which diameter would be best.

I am thinking about 3.5mm to 4mm would be OK. Both rigid enough and weak enough.

A probe tip with a single ceramic tube would be a whole lot easier to make than the 3x graphite leads.

Attachments

• ceramic tubing.jpg
    ceramic tubing.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 47
Just a suggestion: do you have any machinist friends who could buy some and send them on to you...? It sounds like you're on a good path for making an alternative, but I question whether it's a good use of your time.

I've used this unit in the past, every probe you make or purchase, you will have to calibrate, unless your working to carpenter tolerances. You best make the shank with something very fragile so it breaks. If you don't I'll sell you our digital Haimer 3d taster to replace yours.

Hi
I like making tools to make tools. I can and have purchased items off e-bay USA using a freight forwarding service. Buying off e-bay is the option of last resort for me.

If I can find a relatively simple way of making custom probes, then I can do things like:

make a range of probes with different lengths,
make spare probes with little cost
aim to make probes interchangeable without recal.
make probes that convert my imperial Haimer to display in metric. eg. 1 thou" = 0.0245mm or 1 = 2.54 graduations

This will require a custom made jig to get consistency.

I'm with the 'buy one on ebay' crowd.

Think about it: if you screw up even a little, the accuracy of the Haimer is shot. And what's the point of having a Haimer if you can't trust it?
Also: you can't make the probes different lengths. They have to be *exactly* the proper length, combined with a precisely sized ball, accurately centered, or the measurements will be off. If the probe's the wrong length, the deflection won't be what the Haimer's calibrated for, and your accuracy's gone.

The whole point of the Haimer is accuracy. Doing it by hand (unless it's the end of the world, or you have a full metrology lab to back you up) just won't get it done.

If you really can't find them on Ebay, we ship to NZ reasonably often, let me know, and I'll pick up a couple and send them down to you. (You get to pay for them and the shipping, but I can send them. Probably not with as good a freight deal as the Ebay folks get, but the offer's there if you need.)

Regards,
Brian

Hi

You are completely right. The ball diameter and length are critical. That is a basic geometry problem as shown in the attached drawing.
The calibration process takes out any run-out error for a given probe.

Not sure what you mean "by hand". Making a Haimer probe tip would require an accurate jig. Worst case scenario is that I would throw away the DIY probes and buy a Haimer version.

Haimer Probe Geometry.jpg

Here is a competing probe DREH Plus It has a different style of probe tip, more difficult to make than the ball type but easier to use on curved surfaces.

Seems like a conical magnetic interface would be best for the breakaway needs.
I've just patented it in my head, so no stealing my idea

Hi

I am not sure how you might interface a conical magnet in your head, unless it was empty. :)

Seriously, I think that magnetic breakaway would work well if designed in, rather that retrofitted. It would be too bulky for a Haimer.
I think the optimal design would be a kelvin kinematic coupling with 3 magnets holding it together.

The DIY path for making Haimer probes is going to work out to be far more expensive than buying off the shelf.

The payoff, if I do it right, will be:

• interchangeable probes without recalibration,
  • custom probe lengths
  • cheaper replacement tips (after making the jigs for the first one)
  • converting an inch Haimer to read in metric.

The last one is the major reason. I use imperial but much prefer metric. Having the option to read imperial or metric directly off the dial simply by swapping probes will improve the usefulness of the useful Haimer device.

Back