What's new
What's new

Having Issues with VF2 - Not cutting properly!

planeindustries

Plastic
Hi,

I am having issues with my VF2 not cutting properly - We have had the machine with very few problems for a couple of years but recently the calibration seems to be off. When I program it to cut a circle, it doesn't give me a clean finish - the same issues occur in the same place however many times I try - Please see the images attached. Parts of the shapes are cutting fine and other parts are all over the place.

We have had a couple of minor crashes over the years as we are new to this - so not sure if it is a calibration thing. The CAM software we use is FUsion 360.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards all

Ben

Attachments

• 698D2681-45D5-4DF9-B61A-2F5F03E7D148.JPG
    698D2681-45D5-4DF9-B61A-2F5F03E7D148.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    519 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3960.JPG
    IMG_3960.JPG
    545.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3962.JPG
    IMG_3962.JPG
    607.8 KB · Views: 106
doesn't look just like a circle issue. looks like something is loose that shouldn't be like a axis or spindle bearing that is going out and bouncing around or even a holder not properly being pulled into the spindle.

doesn't look just like a circle issue. looks like something is loose that shouldn't be like a axis or spindle bearing that is going out and bouncing around or even a holder not properly being pulled into the spindle.
Very probably, my gut feeling says something is loose from a crash - I don’t think it is a CAM issue - may be wrong but half of the circle seems to machine ok

Looking at the first picture I'd be checking leadscrew thrust bearings and leadscrew nut.

Would take 10-20 minutes to determine which is bad.
I’ll have a look into that - I’m not sure how to but chat GPT may be able to help - also I think it might be time to get the engineer out for a visit as I don’t think I’m qualified to fix this at this point 😬

recently the guide ral hit the steel holder on the far wall that the acrylic panel slides into - threw up an error - managed to rehome - it could be due to that - do you think the machine needs recalibrating?
Not sure what you mean by "guide rail" or "steel holder."
A few years back I had a nasty wreck (head went DOWN instead of UP while the table was moving) that cracked the Y-axis ballnut on our Fadal...the machine made goofy lobe/oval shaped "circles" when interpolating until I changed the ballnut.
Put a mag-base indicator on your table and position the stylus to read off the spindle. Try to give the table (or spindle) some heave-hoes...if the indicator dances around like crazy (more than a couple thou), the part you're wobbling isn't properly fastened to the machine anymore 😬

Put an indicator on the table, and push-pull the table in both X and Y, will need some force to get a good reading. Push at the center along the axis of the lead screw.
Record that movement which will be the total play in both the leadscrew nut and thrust bearings.

Put the indicator on the end of the leadscrew. Do the same push-pull.
record that movement which will be the thrust bearing end play.

Subtract the second reading from the first, that will be the backlash in the leadscrew nut.

Not sure what you mean by "guide rail" or "steel holder."
A few years back I had a nasty wreck (head went DOWN instead of UP while the table was moving) that cracked the Y-axis ballnut on our Fadal...the machine made goofy lobe/oval shaped "circles" when interpolating until I changed the ballnut.
Put a mag-base indicator on your table and position the stylus to read off the spindle. Try to give the table (or spindle) some heave-hoes...if the indicator dances around like crazy (more than a couple thou), the part you're wobbling isn't properly fastened to the machine anymore 😬
Thank you!

For one thing it looks like your spindle has lost its bearing pre-load. Are your issues with the pocket floor only or sidewalls too? If you have done finish passes using Contour then you have some real problems there, far more than a little backlash.

For one thing it looks like your spindle has lost its bearing pre-load. Are your issues with the pocket floor only or sidewalls too? If you have done finish passes using Contour then you have some real problems there, far more than a little backlash.
Yes, that is a finishing contour pass - hence the panic with the issues. I have been having problems with the tool holders going into the spindle correctly recently which has been getting progressively worse - initially, I thought it may be a drawbar issue not pulling the tool holder in enough - when the machine does a tool change it often throws up 'ALARM - TOOL UNCLAMPED'

We have only been machining for 18 months - I have tried to learn the ins and outs of the machine over that time to varying degrees of success but I think I will need an engineer out for this one.

Attachments

• IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 20

Back