What's new
What's new

Hendey Planer restoration

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
I bought a late 1800s Hendey planer about 3 years ago and I'm finally getting around to restoring it. I'm sure some of you will recognize the pictures as it has been posted here in the forums before.

It seems in good condition overall. The issues I've noticed are; 60 degree thread lead screw, 2 chipped teeth on main gear, one internal pulley has hairline crack on two spokes right at hub, missing drip cups (and the bolts are sheared off close to the casting...). The friction wheel itself is different from my shaper in that it doesn't have a perimeter. I don't know if this is original or not but hopefully it works.

18THCGY.jpg

xvv0IBZ.jpg

I removed all the peeling paint and found a couple of interesting writings underneath. The front legs have "6P 567 H. M. Co." I think that is likely "Hendey Machine Company" but I don't know what the 6P and 567 are for. The right column for the bridge has "8P 535". My thought is that the parts were cast by another company and they were labeled there. I'd love to hear some other thoughts.

sXWyveE.jpg

F5ANktw.jpg

kutiK5d.jpg

Here's a picture of the two chipped teeth. I guess "chipped" isn't quite the word for it as at least half the tooth is gone. The plan for now is to see how well it planes and only fix it if needed.

TslFVSd.jpg

Here's a picture of the friction wheel. If I had to guess... I'd say the original wheel wore down and the fix was to cut out the perimeter and braze up "feet" at the end of each spoke. Seems like it would've been easier to braze the whole thing and turn it down so I guess it is possible this is the way the early friction wheels were made.

mczPtQi.png

A little earlier than you think. It looks like serial number 19.
It is the 3 1/2' planer, before Hendey upgraded it to 4' in 1882.
The one I had and sold was serial number 39.
Mine was originally owned by Elgin National Watch Co.
It was in their tool room for making the machine tools that made their watches.
Later they bought another Hendey planer, the 4' one, which I also owned at one time.
My brother has it now.

Rob

Attachments

• Hendey planer early 15.JPG
    Hendey planer early 15.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Hendey planer early 22.JPG
    Hendey planer early 22.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Hendey planer 1882 1a.jpg
    Hendey planer 1882 1a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
A little earlier than you think. It looks like serial number 19.
It is the 3 1/2' planer, before Hendey upgraded it to 4' in 1882.
The one I had and sold was serial number 39.
Mine was originally owned by Elgin National Watch Co.
It was in their tool room for making the machine tools that made their watches.
Later they bought another Hendey planer, the 4' one, which I also owned at one time.
My brother has it now.

Rob
Thanks for the extra information Rob. I wasn't sure if the "19" was the serial number or a batch number for the parts in that area. I started to think it might be the serial number when I didn't find any other number stamped anywhere else. It is very cool to think it was built before 1882 and I feel privileged to be bringing it back into working order. If you have more information please pass it along. I find the backstory of these machines absolutely fascinating as it gives one a glimpse of the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Very special feeling to own this machine.

Cosmetic part of the restoration is complete. It will be a little while before I get power applied to it as I need to make some changes in the shop, The hope is to run the planer and shaper from a section of line shaft. It will be another couple months before I get to that point. Once I get it making some chips I'll post an update here.

0ecT79z.jpg

YusEiW5.jpg

Really looks great. What process did you use to clean and brighten the metal?---Know the answer is probably "a lot of work" but did you any chemical type rust remover?

Really looks great. What process did you use to clean and brighten the metal?---Know the answer is probably "a lot of work" but did you any chemical type rust remover?
Razor blades and lacquer thinner. For the most part the planer wasn't as rusty as it appears in the first pictures. There were a couple of rust areas that I did use a KleenStrip product called "Prep and Etch" which is basically diluted phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid reacts with iron oxide (rust) converting it to a water soluble iron oxide. I scape that off with a razor blade, neutralize with water and repeat the process if more rust remains. There are better products/techniques, like (EvapoRust), however those generally require soaking in substantial amount of the product. Once everything is clean I use steel wool to shine it up.

Those must be some really strong casters holding up that machine :D :D
Harold
I bought those at Northern Tool about 11 years ago. They've held a lot of machinery over the years and have never appeared any worse for it. I bought some again last year that are supposedly the "same" but they're junk. They were cheaper of course, lol.

Back