What's new
What's new

HLV-H Lead Screw Bearing Retainer Removal (Stuck?)

IHateMayonnaise

Aluminum
Howdy folks,

Like many of you, I pride myself in being an accomplished remover of stuck things. One component on my HLV-H rebuild is giving me difficulty, however: the housing which holds the bed lead screw bearings on the headstock side. It is certainly a separate component, but I can't find it listed in any of the parts lists from Hardinge. I actually only want to shift it inwards about 1/8" (until flush with bed), and I only want to do this because I believe it will be tricky to paint around, and it's in a very visible location. I haven't used heat, because of the proximity to critical surfaces. I tried to press it out, and couldnt get it to budge with "reasonable" pressure. I'm not generally concerned with deformation of cast iron parts after applying pressure differentials, but I am being extra careful with this most critical of components. There doesn't seem to be any retaining mechanism keeping it in place (set screw, retaining ring, etc), I believe it is press fit.

Has anyone tried to remove this element? Words of wisdom, etc? Am I overestimating the difficulty in painting around around the protrusion?

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

___.jpg

20220416_164848.jpg

20220416_164841.jpg

20220416_164913.jpg

I thought the bushing was located by the pin, paart 33.

When I got to the point of painting my HLV (no -H) after several years of rebuilding, I left the bushing in the bed

Maybe apply universal rebuilders guide, rule 23, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, sub-section C, if it doesn't come out easy, leave it alone. The Navy mariners edition says salute it. If it it doesn't salute back, paint it.

Leave it alone! There is a hole in the side and a pin or setscrew locks it in place. I have no idea how they installed those things and got the hole aligned. It may be that they drilled the hole after setting the bearing housing in place.

Cut a thread on both sides of a shaft. Screw one side into the hole and insert other end through a fixed hole. Thread a nut on right side.

Advice given is for suicide prevention. Now you know you can do this and there is no need to get drastic.
How about three in a row, just leave it and use a fine detail brush to paint around it.

Back