What's new
What's new

Invicta 2M (Elliott 14M) Shaper Rebuild

cwilcox

Cast Iron
Hi,
In a bit of an impulse buy I picked up a shaper. The previous owner had it for 18 years and it was in his basement. Here is a picture of the night I brought it home after he got it out of the basement in pieces.
Second image is the vise after inspection, cleaning, and oiling it. I think I'll shorten the custom jaws at some point.
Is there anyone out there that has one of these that would be willing to take pictures of theirs or otherwise help me out along the way? It is missing some parts for the power down feed and I'm confused about which way it goes together.
Anyway I'll keep this short to start.
Thanks,
March 10 2023 Shaper Purchase (Medium).jpgIMG_2565 (Medium).jpg

There is a YouTuber with an Elliott 10M. Not sure if they are similar enough to help you. Maybe reach out to him. His channel is Haxby_shed.

Is it a power downfeed of the tool block.........Ive had lots of Elliott/Invicta shapers ,and never seen a power downfeed .......on premium brands like Butler and Cincinnatti,yes,but never an Elliott........Incidentally,always check the bullgear for teeth worn in the small arc of loading ,before buying.

The manual says the option was available and I have some of it for sure. These pictures show the parts on the body and the ram but the toolblock parts are missing.
Any help is appreciated.
IMG_2574 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2575 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2576 (Medium).jpg

I have a sister of yours. 2mr. Runs sweet but no vise. Almost scored one on the weekend but contacted the seller 1 hour too late. Clutch pulley [also the motor pulley] should be turning counter clockwise so ram extends slower/returns "rapider". lolDSCN1369.JPG

I have a sister of yours. 2mr. Runs sweet but no vise. Almost scored one on the weekend but contacted the seller 1 hour too late. Clutch pulley [also the motor pulley] should be turning counter clockwise so ram extends slower/returns "rapider". lolView attachment 390417
Hi, You sure do. Looks like you have the power downfeed as well but are missing the parts on the body. If you ever decide to take the toolpost off or wish to sell any of the gears/shafts in the toolhead that run it I'd like to know. Even measuring them/counting teeth would get me farther than I am now.
Would you be willing to take pictures of the back of the toolholder and maybe up under the ram with it extended forward?
Appreciate the reply, thanks and good evening.
Chris

I have an alba 14m which is an earlier version of yours. I will take some photos this evening of my power downfeed for you

Thanks, I can use them too as I someone has "deleted" the same parts as the OP. Not even a hole/bore for the little shaft that transmits power to the leadscrew. Found that out last night as I have the ram/rocking arm off fixing a sheared drift pin on the stroke adjusting shaft.

First image is my shaper, second image is from user dundeeshopnut
They look very similar but do have differences. If anyone has feedback on what you see i'm all ears.IMG_2599 (Medium).jpgDSCN0046-Redacted.jpg

Last edited:

Found that excellent video showing the design details for a larger shaper but it should match what would have been in these ones.

The only US made shaper comparable to an Elliott/Invicta/Alba would be the Atlas .....G&E,Cincinnatti,etc are in another universe of quality.
Oh darn. From my observations so far I thought my Elliot appeared quite well made/stout for a 14" machine. Oh well, it'll fit right in with my other POS machines.

I realize the quality difference, but the concept is the same, keyed gear slipped over the leadscrew, etc.

Hi,
In a bit of an impulse buy I picked up a shaper. The previous owner had it for 18 years and it was in his basement. Here is a picture of the night I brought it home after he got it out of the basement in pieces.
Second image is the vise after inspection, cleaning, and oiling it. I think I'll shorten the custom jaws at some point.
Is there anyone out there that has one of these that would be willing to take pictures of theirs or otherwise help me out along the way? It is missing some parts for the power down feed and I'm confused about which way it goes together.
Anyway I'll keep this short to start.
Thanks,
View attachment 390405View attachment 390404
Hi , I have the original handbook for this, I am in Brisbane Australia, You're welcome to a copy of it once I copy it,
cheers,
Shane

This rebuild series is for an Elliot 14S, and using my faulty memory I don't believe his came with the built in power down feed. I dunno, depending on what your looking for, this video series might have something of interest for you cwilcox.

If it were me, I think I'd keep those vise jaw inserts as they are and just make a new shorter set. Likely there's good reason a previous owner built those higher ones and they may well come in handy at some point.

Oh darn. From my observations so far I thought my Elliot appeared quite well made/stout for a 14" machine. Oh well, it'll fit right in with my other POS machines.
Nothing wrong with any of those shapers but by and large they were made for colleges, training schools, some tool rooms etc. The two big ones you saw in production shops over here were “ Butler “ and “ Ormerod “. The “ Ormerod “ was a thing of beauty.

Regards Tyrone

Back