What's new
What's new

Krylon spray pant shortage?

I did a quick Amazon search and it seems that there is a lot available there. $6 per can seems to be around the low price and there are even a few at about that price with free shipping.

It goes up and UP in price from there. And you can pay over $20 for a can from some sources there.

I would suggest assessing your needs and making a multiple can order.

They all have Krylon? The tractor supply 'tractor' spray paint is as crappy as Rustoleum hardness wise and with extend drying time.
No O'Riellys around here.
Both Tru-Value and O'Reilly's do have some Krylon but it seems to be the odd or unusual colors. For the standard stuff they like Rustoleum or Tru-Value's own brand. But that's been true for several years.

I've only used it on wood so Rustoleum has been fine for me. I'll keep your recommendation for Krylon as to hardness in mind.

Want to see some high priced spray paint? Stop by your local Harley dealer. $30 a can for "Genuine Harley paint" and they probably don't have it on hand, but will gladly order it for you if you can wait 28 days! That's what a friend told me who painted his motorcycle engine with paint he bought at Autozone.

Paint contains chemicals, and we know by now that chemicals (not money) are the root of all evil.

Under Joe Biden's presidency, we will move away from oil and gas. That's right, by 2025 you'll be able to buy paints made from products that don't hurt the environment. Paints made from green shrubs and various beans. And no more petrochemicals in our hospitals...we'll use poultices made of feather-moss and mustard seed.

What you do in that case is wait IN LINE, blocking the checkout until the supervisor arrives. Leave your purchases on the counter or belt. Then, when the supervisor comes, talk to him/her about it. Question the policy, AT LENGTH. Be polite, but ask WHY. Ask more questions. Make it take as long as possible, hopefully with a line growing behind you.

Then, when all the talk is over and the supervisor approves your purchase, just leave the items on the counter/belt and walk out. Wave good by politely.

Oh, and you could ask for directions to the nearest store owned by their competition.

Well that's pretty rude, considering the poor 19 year old cashier is just following the company guidelines, as outlined in the company policy, so they can keep their crappy $9/hr job because it barely pays their $800/mo rent on a 1bd/1ba apartment and without said crappy job, they'd be homeless and even more in debt...

Want to see some high priced spray paint? Stop by your local Harley dealer. $30 a can for "Genuine Harley paint" and they probably don't have it on hand, but will gladly order it for you if you can wait 28 days! That's what a friend told me who painted his motorcycle engine with paint he bought at Autozone.
Is it $30 a can now ? Always been expensive but hey, remember that "buy quality, buy American" schtick I keep hearing here ? The HD paint is made especially for them by a company in Ohio (if I remember that right), it is exactly the colors on the original equipment, and it is very high quality, with the most expensive and best spray nozzles you will find on any rattlecan.

If you don't want to buy it that's fine, but it is well-made good stuff by a US company. So you have just lost your snivel-about-China license :D

Which is probably going to look like crap in a few years time.

Hey, I'm just the messenger here, just reporting the facts I was told. Yes, Harley paint has always been expensive? I have no idea if its still made here? I suspect they would import it to save a buck, as they do with other parts everywhere on the newer bikes? I have used it and never really thought it was really any better than other paints? I never thought the nozzles were really any different than other spray cans?

Hey, I'm just the messenger here, just reporting the facts I was told. Yes, Harley paint has always been expensive? I have no idea if its still made here? I suspect they would import it to save a buck, as they do with other parts everywhere on the newer bikes? I have used it and never really thought it was really any better than other paints? I never thought the nozzles were really any different than other spray cans?
Have not been around HD's for quite a while so anything is possible. But it was better than hardware store and the nozzles didn't clog and had a better pattern with finer atomization than hardware store paint.

Several of the guys running XR's would clean up the cases at the end of the year and give them a coat of aluminum color HD spray. It looked just like new sandcast aluminum and held up very well. The stuff they put on dirt tracks eats the shit out of aluminum castings, HD paint was the hot ticket for look-new appearance. Cheap stuff didn't work for squat.

Hate to sound like an HD fanboy but their paint was good stuff.

I will add a little of my own knowledge to the paint supply chain side of things.

The guys next door to me paint the traffic lines in the roads and parking lots. They have been having a hell of a time getting what they need for the last 2 years. Sometimes only white comes in and sometimes only yellow. Lots of jobs went unfinished/unbilled due to not having both colors available.

Then a hurricane came through Louisiana and they found out a little more about the supply chain in USA. I guess they were told that 80% of the paint manufactured in USA comes from a refinery in that area. Add that to the already short supply and things dont look good.

They buy from Sherwin Williams, Which comes from Dupont (or used to). Not sure who owns Dupont.

I have also noticed spray paint cans are in very low stock in Wal Marts and auto parts stores all over the area.

Have not been around HD's for quite a while so anything is possible. But it was better than hardware store and the nozzles didn't clog and had a better pattern with finer atomization than hardware store paint.

Several of the guys running XR's would clean up the cases at the end of the year and give them a coat of aluminum color HD spray. It looked just like new sandcast aluminum and held up very well. The stuff they put on dirt tracks eats the shit out of aluminum castings, HD paint was the hot ticket for look-new appearance. Cheap stuff didn't work for squat.

Hate to sound like an HD fanboy but their paint was good stuff.

Many moons ago (maybe 40) I sandblasted a set of Honda 400/4 cases/barrels/heads and painted with Kal-Gard Gun Coat, then cured in my mothers oven (I'm only alive cos she never found out) Present day, my buddy has the bike up in Cumbria, and the Gun-Coat, other than a few areas still looks as good as new. They made very good paints back in the day.

Everything Harley is expensive, I make parts for a local Harley Speedshop, I had a near heart attack when I was told how much my parts were being marked up.

Picked up a can of Rustoleum "florescent yellow" from Home Despot. 2 cans of it on the shelf. Complete crap. Very thin and very poor coverage, and it's more green than yellow like the cap. Picked up a can of VHT yellow engine enamel on the way by auto zone. About the same, it's more like clear with a hint of yellow-green tint. WTH? Then I googled after the fact and see many are unhappy with VHT products going back to 2010. Still haven't checked at local hardware chains, that's next.

Many moons ago (maybe 40) I sandblasted a set of Honda 400/4 cases/barrels/heads and painted with Kal-Gard Gun Coat, then cured in my mothers oven (I'm only alive cos she never found out) Present day, my buddy has the bike up in Cumbria, and the Gun-Coat, other than a few areas still looks as good as new. They made very good paints back in the day.

Mother: "Does anyone else think the turkey has a slight paint smell to it?"
Triumph406: "Smells fine to me, and tastes great, too. You're a wonderful cook. Thanks, mom!"

So....I was trucking down a main isle in Wally-M yesterday, glanced at the spray paint isle as I went past..........WAIT!
Did I see Yellow caps?? Reverse......Yellow caps on cans. Head down the isle, and there are 3 cans of Krylon"Tractor paint" in John Deere yellow.

Wow. And not any other primary colors as usual with mostly empty shelves. Hum......this is a bit weird Just the color I've been looking for. And no others. So I grabbed a can. And today I tried to use it. Very disappointing. It's so thin and so little pigment you can see thru it. It's like clear with yellow tint. Not like the usual Krylon I've used as recent as a couple months ago. I have some older regular red Krylon here and test sprayed a bit of that, it has good coverage. Maybe this is the new normal for spray paint.

If you want good paint go to a automotive paint store and they can usually mix up any automotive color you want and put it into a spray can.

Did I see Yellow caps?? Reverse......Yellow caps on cans. Head down the isle, and there are 3 cans of Krylon"Tractor paint" in John Deere yellow.
Hell, if John Deere yellow does it for you, I hit Tractor Supply yesterday, they had JD yellow in spray, another slightly darker yellow in spray, and quarts and gallons of both. Ace Hardware also had cans of their own house brand yellow ($4.49/can) and some Rustoleum yellow. Lots of Krylon there too but all weird stuff, like shiny metallic or frosted glass decorator stuff.

If this paint problem continues, you might have to consider moving West :)

View attachment 336566

Back