What's new
What's new

Lethal Weapons Manufacturing symbolizes Freedom & Excellence. A Maker industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record I do not make nor plan nor forecast ever engineering/manufacturing lethal weapons. It's one of those things that doesn't exactly register in my frontal cortex. Never did never will. I'm in my mid 40's and already retired (multi-national, 4,300 offices global, engineering/manufacturing world-size more advanced innovations than lame weapons). Currently in mosports related R&D/Team. That's that.

I'll ask again. Will Freedom Fighters, Makers, Thinkers, Engineering Companies and Corp be inspired by politicians' barbaric enthusiasm of associating Freedom and public funds to highly lucrative 'Lethal-Weapons', or not. Simple trend sentiment oriented question. That's all...

Whaaaa?

Tell that to the Taliban.

The Taliban can thank Joe Biden for their win. As for lethal weapons we also have to replace all the ones we leave behind. It is pretty amazing how many items our military maintains from the past from small arms to aircraft. I did some small contract DOD years ago and was surprised at how many WWII era drawings I had to work from. Mostly all replacement parts.

There are no basement developments in anything defence related now......its all huge research labs developing everything from materials to advanced electronics.....possible small guys might get some work on the fitting for the transit cases these things come in,that will be all.
These guys seem to be doing a heck of a good job in a low budget basement.
https://youtu.be/mT5FKNQ2Fg8 I saw some videos that I can't find right now where they 3d print some fins on some old Soviet anti tank grenades that they had sitting in storage. Then they fly over the tank in an $800 drone plus the cost of some 3d printed plastic filament and next thing you know $3million Russian tank goes bang! Talk about good battlefield ROI. About all they're missing is a special attachment to drop sunflower seeds when they're done!

Also along the lines of small shops making weapons for the war efforts there were a lot of small arms makers not far beyond the means of some shops that post here on a regular basis who early on were shipping a lot over to Ukraine.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Seems to me the state dept had some idea a war in Ukraine was about to start last year,and cut off A/Stan to make ready......I have no doubt there are moles in the Russian inner circle supplying Putins plans ....anyway,he doesnt keep his plan for invading the old Soviet states a secret........Its a simple redirection of funds from A/Stan to Ukraine .... dispose of old stock ,replace with new,and better.First rule of defense storekeeping.

^^ bingo. the fast exit from Afghanistan was for a reason.Remember, we had a spy in PUTIN's circle. Like in the f-ing room and because Trump blabbed we had to do an emergency retrieval of the asset the next day. The asset didn't want to go because he was that important, but he would probably get found out and tortured.

Anyways, the guys here making drone parts for the hobby market are already ahead of us all!! :D Ukrainians dropping cocktails from the little guys. Hit that convoy too!

Would expect that if most any country is running good intel ops that they penetrate most levels of government.
Been that way for a long time.

General public always overestimates the capabilities of the spooks. The way I think about it, if we had the Hollywood-grade material in the game, we wouldn't have 9/11.

On the other hand if you know which buttons to press, you can start proxy wars at will. Like one scenario I can imagine, say we were planning to supply tech X (like that same Javelin, as an example) to Ukraine which Russia knew about. Russia says "don't do it", we ignore them, and continue with the plan without hiding it all that much. Russians say again "don't do it, or else", while concentrating troops at the border, and we're like GFY, russkies. Finally we file the plans for a C-130 to deliver the goods, and Russians announce their "special military operation" at the same time...

"They should really patent their achievement and market their product."

Good idea, let them spend the next ten years minutely scrutinising the 18,520,016 patents which Google paid $76,444,713,275 for.
To ensure that the 125,878 Google patent lawyers do not send any "cease and desist" letters to Ukrainian Blacksmiths Inc, C/O Kiev War Zone.

#26 EndlessMendacity
It's all Saint Donald's fault!
Other explanations are available, and true.

Had a discussion with business partners about Future Hot Markets. All claims "new-normal" in incentivizing into lethal weapons engineering and manufacturing to defend Freedom and ensure peace. As ironic (and barbaric) as this may sound, this is the key message our Int'l societies are getting from NATO members pouring lethal weapons into Ukraine and elsewhere (Taiwan for instance).

Will a race to engineering lethal technologies, prototyping weaponries of all sorts, and perhaps an after-market for them become the next hot industry for Makers and Engineering Companies?

Killer Innovations Inc. ?!

This reads like a Dilbert "upper management double speak" joke, or a spambot.

For the record I do not make nor plan nor forecast ever engineering/manufacturing lethal weapons. It's one of those things that doesn't exactly register in my frontal cortex. Never did never will. I'm in my mid 40's and already retired (multi-national, 4,300 offices global, engineering/manufacturing world-size more advanced innovations than lame weapons). Currently in mosports related R&D/Team. That's that.

I'll ask again. Will Freedom Fighters, Makers, Thinkers, Engineering Companies and Corp be inspired by politicians' barbaric enthusiasm of associating Freedom and public funds to highly lucrative 'Lethal-Weapons', or not. Simple trend sentiment oriented question. That's all...

I don't think any of those would get into the highly lucrative 'Lethal-Weapons' market, aka the arms trade but as adammil1 showed in post # 24 some clever individuals could come up with simple stuff to help the defenders and make sure the information was available.

My first job machining was a facility that made parts to upgrade armored Humvvee's and other vehicles. Door latches, heavier hinges, stand offs for armor plates, etc.

Then I decided to go to the sandbox, and one day realized I might be in a vehicle I'd made parts for.

My current job involves DoD weaponry design and manufacture work, working for a guy I served with. His biggest headache is dealing with the State Dept. and ITAR regulations. We send a lot of stuff overseas, quality stuff in demand. I'd say more, but NDA and all that.

You can't trust freedom if it's not in your hand.

My first job machining was a facility that made parts to upgrade armored Humvvee's and other vehicles. Door latches, heavier hinges, stand offs for armor plates, etc.

Then I decided to go to the sandbox, and one day realized I might be in a vehicle I'd made parts for.

My current job involves DoD weaponry design and manufacture work, working for a guy I served with. His biggest headache is dealing with the State Dept. and ITAR regulations. We send a lot of stuff overseas, quality stuff in demand. I'd say more, but NDA and all that.

You can't trust freedom if it's not in your hand.

Interesting, my first customer did electrical and communication upgrades on Humvee's. They had to have the most uncomfortable seat and vehicle to drive I have ever been in. Definitely would not want to drive one of those things very far.

These guys seem to be doing a heck of a good job in a low budget basement.
https://youtu.be/mT5FKNQ2Fg8 I saw some videos that I can't find right now where they 3d print some fins on some old Soviet anti tank grenades that they had sitting in storage. Then they fly over the tank in an $800 drone plus the cost of some 3d printed plastic filament and next thing you know $3million Russian tank goes bang! Talk about good battlefield ROI. About all they're missing is a special attachment to drop sunflower seeds when they're done!

Also along the lines of small shops making weapons for the war efforts there were a lot of small arms makers not far beyond the means of some shops that post here on a regular basis who early on were shipping a lot over to Ukraine.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Here's an article on the drone drops;
How Ukraine Uses Obsolete Soviet Grenades To Destroy Russian Tanks From Above (rferl.org)

Here's a wild video of the thing in action, Russian soldiers steal a pickup truck with a Sun Roof, are pimping around enemy territory with the sunroof wide open :crazy: and the drone manages to drop the grenade right thru the open roof!
https://youtu.be/DA8ZHmAcLuU

Here's larger armor being destroyed by 3d printed parts;
https://youtu.be/6pPTHt_5G2U

Interesting, my first customer did electrical and communication upgrades on Humvee's. They had to have the most uncomfortable seat and vehicle to drive I have ever been in. Definitely would not want to drive one of those things very far.

Up armored, they were barely capable on road, off road they truly sucked, broken drive trains. I might have used some of your product, I worked in a unit doing comms and recce. I always preferred being in the turret with a M2HB.

I assume your a Maker, and as with most Makers vastly over estimate your abilities.

What you and your Maker friends don't realise is the difficulty in breaking into and maintaining a facility that can make weapons, or weapon parts. Just getting a purchasing agent to acknowledge your existence is an exercise in frustration in itself.

Once a Maker walks into a purchasing agents office, and he sees you in your Maker branded gear, hears about your pronouns and trans bathrooms, and trans CEO etc etc, you'll get thrown out with a 155mm shell shoved up your jacksy.

Your delusional, playing with the big boys is going to get you squashed like a bug on my kitchen floor.

------------------------------------

Stick with what you best. Which is?

------------------------------------

having said that, if i were to do anything I would look into small lethal munitions, like AeroEnvironments Switchblade. That's something on the scale a small company could develop and test.

Good points. Yet too having confidence and faith goes a long way. Without these we might feel that success may boil down to fate.

In regard to the switchblade drone and it’s more powerful accomplice the tech seems basic in comparison to say the complexity of a Cruise missile and is very cost effective in taking down a tank. That drones and innovation have drastically altered war is simply revealed to be a breakthrough in warfare. Consider too cellphone use and the fact that Elon’s network of satellites enabling the network to function and all the while it can not be eliminated by Russia.

I think even Russian soldiers can use it themselves. Not all of any group are completely evil and that includes those pressed into service and those who are set on fighting for their country. Each side will find those who serve for various reasons and of course do or will refuse orders even or intentionally mess them up. That is a very dangerous thing.

Wars have a way just like a fishing net they collect all kinds of participants into the civil structure and motivations of war good or bad. Deciding that war is good becomes a stretch even when the action is over and explained being set pieced into history. Participants in such may vary from highly supportive to resentfully involved just trying to survive it or even to flee it. There are all kinds.

Regarding manufacturing military equipment and parts I have and the jobs were parts for something not in the prototyping phase. Like many situations the completed item may rarely be seen and that is likely preferred. Those who actually are involved directly do actually see the sum total of the equipment and most times it is preferred that their background have exemplary military service by their employer.

I dont actually understand the Makerspace idea...is it beginners,or a bunch of engineers who dont have a millions worth of gear at home ?....The state govt had something like this not far from me here,back in the day when 3D metal printing was sort of cutting edge.....but the only way someone like me was going to get in the front door was on the guided tour they had when some politician opened it.I dont even know if its still there ....these things have a habit of closing down when someone else wants the money in their budget.

What I'm getting from this is something more like a step up from Kyber Pass Martini Enfields and something less than cruise missiles?

That's already happening, has happened, and is being squashed by political feel good legislation. See 80% ghost guns and all their offspring.

The BATFE is out of control with their propensity to enact new rules, regulations, requirements and licenses (read here extortion).Import export qualified FFL's and SOT's are just the tip of the iceberg. Now we have to contend with the implications brought about by weapons manufactures settling out of court with victims, survivors and their families because it's a "bottom line decision".

I gave up my FFL, SOT and other licenses decades ago because the insurance premiums were sending someone's whole family to Ivy League colleges. Present day license extortion is well over $2,500 a year. The insurance premium is close to the same, per month!

My suggestion is follow the money. Why should it cost a cottage industry manufacture near $25,000 a year just to start making chips. I'll leave this as an exercise for those more adept at pulling the wool over the eyes of idealistic trolls.

What I'm getting from this is something more like a step up from Kyber Pass Martini Enfields and something less than cruise missiles?

That's already happening, has happened, and is being squashed by political feel good legislation. See 80% ghost guns and all their offspring.

maxresdefault.jpg

How some doozer making unmarked AR bits in his basement could possible have any bearing on modern war is tenuous........the newsworthy Switchblade drone is a flying hand grenade ,with maybe 4oz of explosive .....cost of conventional grenade $10,cost of Switchblade $10,000 ......makes them kinda spendy for having a war.....Books balance OK with an anti tank missile,$30k to kill a $2 million tank.....Cruise missiles for ships are kinda spendy too ,$30 million cost of a misslile to kill maybe a boat that cost a tenth as much .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back