What's new
What's new

Machine Shop Supervisor, 2nd Shift

jon@hireCNC

Plastic
  • $26 - $30 per hour
  • "Lead the 2nd shift team comprising of mill, lathe, and wire EDM operators, and finishing technicians; mentor and motivate team members, ensuring individual and group productivity."
  • Act as communications hub for the team, disseminating pertinent and timely information.
  • Coach and train teammates on best practices.
  • Perform hands-on setup and operation of machines
Review the full job description and apply directly to the employer here: https://hirecnc.com/job/machine-shop-supervisor-2nd-shift-31041

• $26 - $30 per hour
  • "Lead the 2nd shift team comprising of mill, lathe, and wire EDM operators, and finishing technicians; mentor and motivate team members, ensuring individual and group productivity."
  • Act as communications hub for the team, disseminating pertinent and timely information.
  • Perform hands-on setup and operation of machines
Review the full job description and apply directly to the employer here: https://hirecnc.com/job/machine-shop-supervisor-2nd-shift-31041

I looked though the qualifications and job requirements on your site. No offense sir, but your customer's compensation is too low. The employee they are looking for will require a $75,000 - $85,000 salary.

It sounds like they are combining the job duties of senior operator, set up man and shift supervisor into one position. Whoever fills that role will be the point of contact for management as well. They will get all of the blame and none of the glory for whatever happens on the floor.

Advertising such a low pay scale with such high demands on this job listing could hurt their prospects of filling other positions as well - it makes them sound brutally out of touch. When in reality, it is probably just a manager who doesn't understand the workscope.

@Donkey Hotey Using the data you've compiled; what level of machinist would be required to fill that role?

@Donkey Hotey Using the data you've compiled; what level of machinist would be required to fill that role?
Good analysis on your part. They're asking for a supervisory role. That person would be a culpable member of the company management or at least being asked to do the job without the title.

Based on the leveling factors, experience required and that they are being asked to be the mentor and coach with such broad skills, I'd have to call that a Manufacturing Engineer 4 earning between $110K and $150K per year. I need to reiterate that the mid-point of that band is the average so $130K would be what they should expect for what is being asked.

Yeah sorry, I could see if it just labeled a top tier programmer as a "Supervisor" and this was starting wage and could quickly be upped.
but the job description goes on another 75% to include Manufacturing/Production Engineering job descriptions.
which right off the bat your over $100k 5 years ago.
agree with above comments.

Don't all machine shop supervisors have to perform most of those duties? As much of a manufacturing engineer-maintenance-troubleshooting-setup-scheduler as actual supervisor??

I'm going to be the contrarian here, and say the OP's pay range isn't that far off for smaller shops, or factories in the south/isolated areas of the U.S.

A smallish (say 50-100 people) factory in the south's plant manager might only be making $150k. The "high-cost" parts of America are on a different planet economically...

ToolCat

Last edited:
  • Lead the 2nd shift team comprising of mill, lathe, and wire EDM operators, and finishing technicians; mentor and motivate team members, ensuring individual and group productivity.
  • Perform hands-on setup and operation of machines.
  • Communicate with 1st shift leaders for production schedule and upcoming projects, and coordinate hand-off with 3rd shift supervisor.
  • Monitor production flow using data indicators relative to scheduled workload to ensure output meets customer timelines.
  • Maintain and improve production efficiency, initiate, and implement continuous improvement projects, train team members, and work with manufacturing engineering to implement new processes.
  • Troubleshoot the work of your team members.
  • Assume responsibility for quality output from team as a participant in administering the company’s Quality Management System.
  • Coordinate time-off requests with 1st shift leadership to ensure adequate staffing to meet production needs.
  • Communicates any part shortages or machining problems/difficulties and reports out on production output daily.
  • Support the resolution of manufacturing issues and disposition of non-conformances, driving robust corrective actions among production staff.
  • Establish, maintain, and improve workplace 5S and FOD Controls to ensure product integrity and a world-class environment.
  • Other duties as assigned.

• Preferred Qualifications:
  • Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, or two years of equivalent higher education strongly preferred; equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
  • 4+ years of leadership experience preferred.
  • Experience in an AS9100 environment.
  • Experience with 5-Axis Milling Platforms and Multi-Axis Turning Centers strongly preferred.
  • Knowledge and participation with Lean Manufacturing Principles; Lean Certification and/or training preferred.
  • ASME Y14.5-2018 foundational GD&T level certification is a plus, advanced level strongly preferred.
Maybe he could put a broom up his arse and brush up as he walked around as well?
That list is at least 2 jobs worth, with qualifications generally associated with at least 2 different roles.
26-30/hr? Hahaha, tell 'em they're dreaming.

Don't all machine shop supervisors have to perform most of those duties? As much of a manufacturing engineer-maintenance-troubleshooting-setup-scheduler as actual supervisor??
Kind of the point being made, companies keep adding to the list of skill sets and responsibilities of a top tier machinist's but not the pay increase.
At this point they are machinist, computer programmers, production/manufacturing engineers, machine maintenance and repair techs, then add supervisor, or manager to that, .......
when does it stop really, or when does the pay get more towards what the other job descriptions entail, a simple engineer makes more or the same as mentioned.

I did the same thing in as a custom car audio fabricator,
wood working, upholstery, composite manufacturing, welding, vacuum forming, automotive paint, electronics integration, audio/acoustic engineering, mechanic, motorization integration....
at what point does someone actually get paid more for incorporating other job description skill sets.

Last edited:
The OP is just a head hunter..........he/she doesn't care if the pay is miserable.............

Last edited:
I'm going to be the contrarian here, and say the OP's pay range isn't that far off for smaller shops, or factories in the south/isolated areas of the U.S.

That was why I said $75k-$85k.

The shop I work for in Ohio is paying $32/hr for level 2 machinists. Shift supervisors start somewhere around $80k I think. They also have to work a lot of weekends and flex their time, machinists do not.

I really cannot see their job as advertised being filled for less than $100k a year, especially being second shift. They need someone with talent, it is not easy to find someone like that who is willing to be away from their family every evening.

It would take $110k a year if I were to carry that load everyday for someone else. Running production would be coming off of that list of job duties though. If they needed more production, they can hire another level 1 machinist so that I could move my guys where I need them.

This thread - combined with the data in donkey hotkey's thread - would actually be a great topic for one of @IanSandusky PM videos. I'm not being sarcastic either, it could be a helpful reference for companies struggling to get positions filled.

The OP is just a head hunter..........he/she don't care if the pay is miserable.............

I thought about that too. However it would appear that they are targeting a specific market. It would be prudent of such a head hunter to build a better mousetrap by having the capability to advise their clients about expectations. Although that takes actual work... not just dropping a link in a forum. If the op actually cared, he wouldn't just start a conversation and walk away.

Donkey was dead-nuts on when making that manufacturing personnel standards thread. Companies need people who can make things but we have no standards in this country to determine job titles, qualifications, commensurate pay or shop operating practices.

I did the same thing in as a custom car audio fabricator,
wood working, upholstery, composite manufacturing, welding, vacuum forming, automotive paint, electronics integration, audio/acoustic engineering, mechanic, motorization integration....
Dude, stop. Unit & two: 30 minutes and a kit. Don't make it sound like more than it is.
:D

You know why they cant get a guy with qual to do that work for $60k,
because he can go buy a machine put it in his gargage for less than half the cost of a automobile and make $400k.

Yup deck & two, this what my best trainee did a few weeks back, simple deck and two, also I made him buy a CNC router, to get this stuff done.
Deck? What's a deck? Do you call Pepsi pop? They haven't made decks in a hundred years. It's a head unit.
(outstanding work BTW)

Deck? What's a deck? Do you call Pepsi pop? They haven't made decks in a hundred years. It's a head unit.
(outstanding work BTW)
Yeah it doesnt matter what they change it to, nothing has a CD player anymore which makes me feel old.
but it will always be called a deck in the trade.
we do use head unit when talking technical/analytical though, fo sho!

edit : only in breeders call pepsi pop :D

Last edited:

Back